Kiesel goes EVH

• Thread starter Zado
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have no horse in the race but it did make me come up with a neat little thought experiment:

Would SSO give PRS or Suhr a pass for doing something like this?
Those two companies would absolutely get the right kind of legal approval first. Personally, I think the PRS HDRX is kind of odd, but there's a deal with the real Hendrix estate (or whatever).

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Those two companies would absolutely get the right kind of legal approval first. Personally, I think the PRS HDRX is kind of odd, but there's a deal with the real Hendrix estate (or whatever).
At least with the PRS amps it was a case of Paul being like "I just really like those tones and we managed to actually get them so we tried to recreate the exact amps they used". They did the same thing with Duane Allman's amps. And it was just meant to sound like another amp, they didn't make it a purple Plexi box or paint over it with flowers lol

Hell if PRS made a "brown sound" amp I still think it would be fine. Though I don't think he's into that kind of stuff.

Now if PRS did this and made a fucked up SIlver Sky limited edition with the stripes and all? Really really fucking weird. :lol:

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
At least with the PRS amps it was a case of Paul being like "I just really like those tones and we managed to actually get them so we tried to recreate the exact amps they used". They did the same thing with Duane Allman's amps. And it was just meant to sound like another amp, they didn't make it a purple Plexi box or paint over it with flowers lol

Hell if PRS made a "brown sound" amp I still think it would be fine. Though I don't think he's into that kind of stuff.

Now if PRS did this and made a fucked up SIlver Sky limited edition with the stripes and all? Really really fucking weird. :lol:
I wonder if we'll ever see Mayer with a Frankensky

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I have no horse in the race but it did make me come up with a neat little thought experiment:

Would SSO give PRS or Suhr a pass for doing something like this?
I really don't think this has anything to do with Kiesel, even though they're great at pulling this stuff. I would have the exact same response with any company doing this kind of thing.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I really don't think this has anything to do with Kiesel, even though they're great at pulling this stuff. I would have the exact same response with any company doing this kind of thing.

I'm one of those anarchist types that doesn't really have a problem with companies building other people's designs; but even to me, this feels...tacky. Like I still don't have a problem with it ethically, it's just a finish choice, but....it's tacky. So yeah I think anyone that isn't directly EVH affiliated would elicit a similar response. Wonder how many of these they're going to end up building.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
It's not because it's Kiesel, but somehow it's always Kiesel.
Well said. It’s like they’ve unilaterally decided to make an sig for an artist. Maybe that will be their next move. They’ll release a Vài sig, and not involve Steve, or pay him, at all.

I would be ok with this is they A) cleared it with the EVH estate, and gave some of the proceeds to whatever the estate would like. I mean, the LEAST they could do is involve Wolf and get his blessing.

I remember there being one of these a customer designed, and Kiesel did. THAT was super cool because it was the customer’s own little tribute to her (I think it was a girl) hero. But this is totally different.

manu80

Reaction score
considering the time frame they give, there won't be a huge mass production number on the market, so maybe EVH and estate will let it slip. Like a small batch and done. Nothing to sue for.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
considering the time frame they give, there won't be a huge mass production number on the market, so maybe EVH and estate will let it slip. Like a small batch and done. Nothing to sue for.
I remember the story of some guy who was sent a message (C&D?) from EVH's people for selling a handmade Frankenstrat on eBay. Not a big brand, just a single dude. They don't fuck around

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I'd give a pass to anyone for this. We know what they're going for but he's dead so I'm not sure we're gonna like retire that paintjob for the rest of eternity now.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
I remember the story of some guy who was sent a message (C&D?) from EVH's people for selling a handmade Frankenstrat on eBay. Not a big brand, just a single dude. They don't fuck around
This is true, I had ebay pull a listing I had up a long while ago for trying to sell a Frankenstrat replica I had had put together because eBay had been contacted by EVH lawyers for breach of copyright with the paint scheme, so yeah they really don't fcuk about

slim231990

Areola51
Reaction score
It is a different take on the classic since it also has droplet patterns so at least they did something different lmao. I must admit tho as someone who loves Kiesel guitars I think it's pretty low to not get the consent from the family or pay them some type of royalties. If they would've just said tribute series and not called it "Eruption Splatter" I would've been less triggered. At the end of the day tho, who really knows if there was an agreement about using the paint scheme seeing how easily Gibson can sue for crazy shit I would think Eddie's estate would be able to take recourse. 🤷‍♂️

Metal Mortician

Ninja Lurker
Reaction score
Are these top-mount floyd’s? If so, that’s pretty on the nose. No doubt someone got a phone call soon after these were announced to the public.

I can only imagine Kiesel and Co balking at a legal phone call until a formal C&D letter shows up.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Are these top-mount floyd’s? If so, that’s pretty on the nose. No doubt someone got a phone call soon after these were announced to the public.

I can only imagine Kiesel and Co balking at a legal phone call until a formal C&D letter shows up.
Nah they're recessed. If you look close you can see the paint going into the cavities

I do wonder IF they do get some kinda C&D they'll pull some kinda "I'm being silenced/cancelled!!!' thing lol