Brandon Ellis Signature Dyad Parallel Axis

• Thread starter A.JohnHayes
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Black Winter uses ceramic flanking magnets though. I wonder if the effect would be more pronounced in a single magnet design.
It does make a more noticeable difference in a single magnet pickup, but it's still subtler than you'd expect.

BrutalRob

Reaction score
Maybe the differences in magnets are subtle for those weaker magnets you mention, but changing between a8 and a9 i would not call the difference subtle

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BrutalRob

Reaction score
Nope, sorry, i don't record or have any clips. This is just my experience when switching magnets.
But knightbrolaire did a magnet comparison himself on a duncan blackwinter, i stumbled upon it again a few days ago. Considering he kept the big ceramic magnets on the sides and changed between regular sized main magnets, the difference does not sound subtle in that clip either, to me at least.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
My Dimarzio Steve Morse neck is 22.5kohm, not a loud pickup or hot...
I had a set of Merlin Hellfire that are something like 22-23k and they were really loud but flubby low end with too much mids and not enough highs.

I've tried the bkp sinners single coils at like 21k ish and it was the same problem. They get loud and push the amp but they sound like absolute ass.

StefanWest

Reaction score
Replacing all my guitars with these now.
I may keep a bkp impulse or the evh Wolfgang but I have no need for anything else. They’re THAT good. I’m usually not into super saturated sounds, but this has the best necessary sat in the chug without overpowering.

DimMak

Reaction score
@HeHasTheJizzHands try using a neodymium magnet in that pickup, works for me in that kohm range
I have a Dimarzio Mirage in the middle position of a Soloist. It is neodymium. It stronger, clearer, louder, nice strong top end. Cool pickup.

So no one has Dyad yet? If I had another guitar to put pickups in I would get one but I do not at the moment and am very happy with my OG Parallel axis.

Flick

Reaction score
I just put the DYAD into my Ibanez RGR5221, removed the neck pickup(for full effect) and added a crackle cover for the empty neck pickup cavity. You can tell Brandon and SD put a lot of work in getting this pickup right. It captures everything you want at the beginning of your signal chain(for heavy!). From my experience, this pickup is HOT! I removed the boost from my signal chain and likely won’t ever need it again. The lows sit perfectly and man they are tight/percussive. Nice smooth midrange. The top end is beautifully sharp without any harsh character whatsoever. Rhythm riffs rip with perfect note separation. It chugs for sure. Leads soar without any sustain interruptions. I liked the distance of this pickup from the strings at 3/32. Because of where the mid range sits and the highs aren’t harsh, you’ll also get a nice clean tone. I’ve gone through so many pickup swaps. The search is over. This is the one. I will be putting this in other guitars. IMG_4408.jpeg

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
That's a uh... pretty short video lol. I was expecting him to try other amps and pedals like he usually does, but nah just the 2 channels on the EVH and only 2 minutes of playing.

I love that Solar though. Looks fucing great.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I'd love to try this if they made a 7 string version. I know he doesn't play 7s... but he's my fav modern player so I'm interested in trying it.

Mike

Reaction score
I've got one on the way the CS just finished winding. Really looking forward to trying this one out. 😁 Hopefully in the next week or so I'll install it and share my impressions.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
How do you like the SM pickup? It's hard for me to tell how it compares to other Dimarzios from YT clips.
Hot PAF Sound with craploads of mids and treble, harmonics everywhere. It's like the HS-4 high wind but just smooth and vintage sounding. Sounds great split too. Up there with the Al Di Meola but more obtainable.

Steve switches pickups sometimes multiple times through a run, the Steve Morse solo sound is neck pickup on the g/b/e strings past the 12th fret. Anything below that is usually bridge pickup.