Brandon Ellis Signature Dyad Parallel Axis

• Thread starter A.JohnHayes
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BabUShka

Reaction score
Yep there's a strong correlation there:

View attachment 136137

It'd be cool if major manufacturers published more info about things like wire gauges used and other info.

We used to calculate and measure the amplification in a "frequency responce"and visualize it for all kind of amplification/signal boost when I studied electronics at the university years a go. Would be nice to see simething simular for pickups, evern though I dont think the different brands will publish this kind of info.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Slapped a Dyad into my PRS Mushok. I've only been messing around with it for about an hour and from what I can tell so far it's a pretty hot and compressed pickup. Low end is pretty tight and chug friendly. The high end is pretty cutting but not quite icepicky. Overall clarity is very good, even down to drop A. Split tones aren't anything spectacular, but they're not bad either. Parallel mode is slightly cleaner but it's still pretty hot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Black Dahlia's tone terrifies me as a guitarist because what they play is so complicated but how it's recorded is so clear. So this is not going to be the pickup for me.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Eh, IME when playing complicated music clearer tone does favours for players and muddier tone tends to exacerbate sloppiness rather than hiding it.

I made a quick little medley of riffs with the dyad:

Damn I really want a Dyad but don't know how to get one in the UK, this isn't helping the GAS!

In my head I pictured it kind of splitting the difference between the feel/top end of the PATB1 and the output/chunk of a Black Winter, would you say that's a fair assesment WRT those 2 pickups?

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
Eh, IME when playing complicated music clearer tone does favours for players and muddier tone tends to exacerbate sloppiness rather than hiding it.

Damn I really want a Dyad but don't know how to get one in the UK, this isn't helping the GAS!

In my head I pictured it kind of splitting the difference between the feel/top end of the PATB1 and the output/chunk of a Black Winter, would you say that's a fair assesment WRT those 2 pickups?
Thanks, glad to hear someone likes my clips :lol:

I haven't used a PATB1 so I can't really comment on how it compares to the dyad. I've used the black winter extensively over the years so that I can actually comment on.

The dyad has a lot more output than a black winter, and doesn't clean up or split as well. The high end of the dyad is clearer and less sizzly than a black winter, with a sharp mid/upper mid spike more reminiscent of a duncan distortion. The black winter has a generally broader midrange comparatively. The upper mid spike and clear highs are part of why the Dyad feels very articulate even with the much higher perceived output. The only thing it really has in common with the black winter is the slight smearing of low end notes ime.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Thanks, glad to hear someone likes my clips :lol:

I haven't used a PATB1 so I can't really comment on how it compares to the dyad. I've used the black winter extensively over the years so that I can actually comment on.

The dyad has a lot more output than a black winter, and doesn't clean up or split as well. The high end of the dyad is clearer and less sizzly than a black winter, with a sharp mid/upper mid spike more reminiscent of a duncan distortion. The black winter has a generally broader midrange comparatively. The upper mid spike and clear highs are part of why the Dyad feels very articulate even with the much higher perceived output. The only thing it really has in common with the black winter is the slight smearing of low end notes ime.

Most welcome lol. Thanks for the analysis. Curious how you mean it doesn't split as well despite higher output? IME higher output always equals better split sound, below a certain output level splits can sound a bit anemic.

I've not played Distortions much but I've found my JBs have an upper mid spike that I guess carries over to the DD, and is smoothed out in the BW - and by the sounds of it is present in the Dyad?

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
Most welcome lol. Thanks for the analysis. Curious how you mean it doesn't split as well despite higher output? IME higher output always equals better split sound, below a certain output level splits can sound a bit anemic.

I've not played Distortions much but I've found my JBs have an upper mid spike that I guess carries over to the DD, and is smoothed out in the BW - and by the sounds of it is present in the Dyad?
I moreso meant the split tones aren't really worth utilizing ime. They occupy relatively similar sounds. The south coil is a bit spankier and more single coil esque, but isn't anything special compared to other duncans with more useful split sounds.
There is definitely overlap with the jb, distortion and dyad in the upper mid content.

Necky379

Reaction score
The dyad has a lot more output than a black winter, and doesn't clean up or split as well.
How can that be, the BW has 3 ceramic magnets and the Dyad uses 1 alnico II. Not trying to be a wise ass, am I missing something?

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
How can that be, the BW has 3 ceramic magnets and the Dyad uses 1 alnico II. Not trying to be a wise ass, am I missing something?
I should have said it has higher perceived output (aka feels hotter) than a black winter. It's got a lot of compression and push comparatively. I don't have a good way to measure the inductance so I can't say for certain whether it actually has a higher output.

Here's a quick clip of the cleans and split tones. They always start with series mode, then parallel, then south coil split, then north coil split.

Last edited: