NHL 2023-2024

• Thread starter technomancer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Crazy that Ovechkin was held completely pointless
Seems crazy when you say Ovechkin was held pointless, but you have to remember the team has absolutely no offense. It was Ovechkin at 31g, Strome 27g, and Mantha 20g (traded). Only 3 guys over 50pts; Ovechkin, Strome, and Carlson. When there is no scoring threat, it makes it easier to contain a single player. When that player is 38 years old and on the backside of a career, it’s not all that hard. Carbery (and the GM for that matter) did him no favors this season with help. He played his best with Strome as his center, but he had no connection with McMicheal at all. He never played enough with Lapierre to see how that would have worked out.

In the 2nd half of the season he had 23 goals in 36 games, but that was after the PP got going and he was playing more with Strome. He needs a playmaker to carry the puck and set him up at this point in his career and he got none of that in the playoffs. And as much as I like Strome, he really is a 2nd line Center at best. The reason he has remained consistent in scoring is because he changed up the way he played about 10 years ago which is around when his speed noticeably declined. He stopped being a rush threat and started looking for ways to get open and use his shot instead. Which is the big joke, “he only scores on timers from his office”. It’s not the only place, but set plays on faceoffs, deflections, or free space are where he scores from.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, yeah, about the Avs having trouble with the Jets... :lol:

However, I fully expect Georgiev to decide it's nap time again in the next round.

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
All aboard the failboat for the Bruins. Couldn't close it out against a scrub goalie at home. I hope this isn't a repeat of last year. Getting nervous.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
However, I fully expect Georgiev to decide it's nap time again in the next round.
How do you feel about Dallas or Vegas?

Dallas fans, should you beat Vegas, how yall feel about your odds against Colorado?

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How do you feel about Dallas or Vegas?

Dallas fans, should you beat Vegas, how yall feel about your odds against Colorado?
I'm more concerned about Dallas than Vegas - but neither will matter if they keep scoring 6+ goals a game.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
So, yeah, about the Avs having trouble with the Jets... :lol:

So that’s how Darcy won a cup.

zappatton2

Reaction score
Is it too late for me to jump on the Leafs bandwagon? I pretty much stopped watching hockey a decade ago, under the premise that, having grown up in Toronto, why would I do that to myself? Nah, best just let them drop the comeback on their own.

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No one on the Bruins besides Jeremy Swayman wants to win. 1 shot on goal in the first period? 2 goals total in 2 games now. It's really pathetic. The problem used to be Tukka. Now we finally have a goalie who doesn't shat his pants in the playoffs and we can't put the puck in the net.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is it too late for me to jump on the Leafs bandwagon? I pretty much stopped watching hockey a decade ago, under the premise that, having grown up in Toronto, why would I do that to myself? Nah, best just let them drop the comeback on their own.

Got to wait until they win game 7... there is still a shot for a crushing disappointment :lol: If they pull off the comeback against Boston you can be happy regardless of how the rest of the playoffs goes

zappatton2

Reaction score
No one on the Bruins besides Jeremy Swayman wants to win. 1 shot on goal in the first period? 2 goals total in 2 games now. It's really pathetic. The problem used to be Tukka. Now we finally have a goalie who doesn't shat his pants in the playoffs and we can't put the puck in the net.

What if both teams don't want to win? Maybe the Bruins share the Leafs' deep-seated passion for golf in the early spring?