Brent Hinds Epiphone Signature / He's pissed at Gibson content

• Thread starter Blood Tempest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
Pics first. She looks bad ass.

Instagram

Instagram

Here's the caption from the headstock pic:

Got my Proto type B.Hinds signature series Epiphone guitar in the mail today.maybe one day I'll be good enough on the guitar that they'll make the one I actually play made by Gibson custom shop and it's a silver burst custom Flying V .it only took them (epiphone)4 years to get this one wrong but at least they got it done. And the mistake was they painted it wrong instead of silver burst it's black on black which I'm in love with now so it's a great mistake ..dealing with "Gibson" trying to get this signature series thing to happen with there custom shop proved Impossible given the nature of how difficult and flaky the people at Gibson custom shop are.thanks Epiphone for finally coming thru ..Gibson you will not be getting thanked by me as you guys are a bunch of wankers .

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

schecter_c7

Reaction score
It's kinda messed up that Bill has two Gibson signatures and Brent can't get one. I've been hoping they'd release a Gibson silverburst flying v for him for some while now. That's the only flying v I'd ever be willing to pay Gibson flying v prices for :lol:

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
That is a bit odd that he has so much trouble, yet Bill Kelliher has had 2 signature models released over that time period.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Hmmm indeed. Although, there isn't much special about either of Kelliher models (though I love both of them) minus the color and Lace Pickup. I wonder if there was some specs that he wants that Gibson didn't want to do for him.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
Knowing Gibson, they probably aren't too cool with him playing PRS and ECG models at his choosing. My guess would be an exclusivity clause in order to make him one, given that "ass kissing" comment.

Either that or the guys at the Gibson custom shop really don't understand the difference between black and silverburst when an artist requests that color scheme. :lol:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the prototype of the Halycon had slight differences compared to the final version. Judging by what Brent said, he wanted the V to look exactly like his custom SB V, but Gibson must have said no.

EDIT: And what Blood Tempest said. He played a lot of different brands while Bill stuck with Gibson. I know before he was a signature endorsed artist, he had some guitars from different brands, but stuck with just Gibson once the Golden Axe was released.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
That would be pretty stupid. An artist wants their signature model to look exactly as the custom model they use onstage show after show, yet the builder says no. POWERTRIP MUCH?

schecter_c7

Reaction score
Hmmm indeed. Although, there isn't much special about either of Kelliher models (though I love both of them) minus the color and Lace Pickup. I wonder if there was some specs that he wants that Gibson didn't want to do for him.

Well Gibson has made a lot of unpopular changes lately and seem to do what they want and not really care about what anyone else wants, so I guess I can see why he would have trouble dealing with them on a signature.

I still hope they eventually release a gibson copy of his V, but I might give the epi a try regardless. It looks very nice even though its black and not silverburst.

Sicarius

Reggie J Worthington
Reaction score
I don't understand why he doesn't tell Gibson/Epiphone to .... off and go to some other brand. ESP and Jackson make Vs, I'm sure either brand would love to pick him up and give him a JP/USA level signature along with a lower end version.

Unless he just loves drama and whining on social media.

I'm not a fan of Mastodon, but seriously, go somewhere else where you'll get what you're wanting instead of dealing with some shitheads you don't like.

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
This thing is sick. I can see this hitting store shelves at around the same price as the Robb Flynn, $900 USD. Honestly, I don't think either of these are worth that price, as I've played the Flynn model myself and was grossly unimpressed and underwhelmed by it. Played like pretty much any Epi out there; solid and decent, but the fit and finish just wasn't up to par with some of the stuff I've seen from brands like Fender and Ibanez for around $400. If these were to have come out at around $500-$600, I'd say they'd be adequately priced.

That said, not being able to afford something expensive or simply not willing to pay its price doesn't necessarily mean it's overpriced. I don't see an issue paying a such a sum If the build quality is to a level that genuinely reflects its price tag. However, I can't justify the price of the Robb Flynn based on the two I've tried. Granted, it's not like I've tried every Robb Flynn V out there, but even I'd expect to not be underwhelmed twice in a row. This is mainly just my personal opinion. I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there that aren't bothered by stuff like small finish blemishes, sharp frets, etc., and wouldn't mind paying nearly $1K USD for it, but not I.

schecter_c7

Reaction score
I don't understand why he doesn't tell Gibson/Epiphone to .... off and go to some other brand. ESP and Jackson make Vs, I'm sure either brand would love to pick him up and give him a JP/USA level signature along with a lower end version.

Well he mainly uses Gibsons so I understand why that would be the brand he wants a signature from. Plus he normally goes for vintage instruments, so I couldn't see him playing an ESP or Jackson

Thorerges

Reaction score
Here are my two cents:

I have been a Mastodon fan since 2003. I can tell you one thing, Bill and Brent are two entirely different people. Bill strikes me as being far more educated, nuanced and definitely a better talker than Brent is. I actually exchanged a few e-mails with him and he's at the very least able to write an entire paragraph without any grammatical errors, unlike Brent. Brent is straightforward, not extremely expressive and I doubt this kid even studied any English in school, he invested all of his energy into playing music and as a result he is (in my opinion), the better guitar player. Every single interview I've seen with Brent has been epically silly, he just doesn't know how to string together a coherent, meaningful sentence without sounding like he is stoned out of his mind.

Gibson is far, far bigger than most bands, including Mastodon. I am not even like their products, but I'll admit that it's an historic company, of course. You need to know how to talk your way into a signature model, as with anything, you need to be nice, polite and willing at some point to "kiss ass". The rewards could be huge, and consequentially I suspect Bill could be getting a decent chunk of his signature model sales that go straight to his pocket.

Brent just doesn't strike as someone like John Petrucci/Bill Kelliher - he lets his music do the talking. By doing so, he erroneously underestimated just how difficult it is to get a signature model.

He should try PRS instead.

EDIT: This isn't about him playing multiple Brands, Bill also plays ESP.