Bridge pickup for my 8 string

• Thread starter Akhenat0n
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Akhenat0n

Reaction score
I'm thinking about changing my stock bridge pickup with something else. (has to be passive). I also have to mention that I'm not unhappy with the stock pickup, just considering other options.

As you can see, the holes, cavities are pretty big, that's why I need your advice before I buy something that won't fit in.

J0113590X-P.fpx

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
It's easier for us to recommend pickups if you tell us what kind of sound you want, and what the guitar is made of.

Akhenat0n

Reaction score
You're right....

BODY
Body Material: Basswood with Quilt Maple Top
Body Finish: Gloss Polyester
Body Shape: Dinky
NECK
Neck Material: 3-Piece Bolt-On Maple with Graphite Reinforcement and Scarf Joint
Neck Finish: Hand-Rubbed Oil
Neck Shape: 3rd Fret: 0.790", 12th Fret: 0.850"
Neck Binding: White
Scale Length: 26.5" (673 mm)
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Fingerboard Radius: 12" to 16" Compound Radius (304.8 mm to 406.4 mm)
Number of Frets: 24
Fret Size: Jumbo
Nut Width: 2.165" (55 mm)
Position Inlays: Piranha Tooth (Small Shark Fin)
Head Stock Binding: White
Headstock: Jackson AT (4-Over/4-Under)
Neck Plate: Recessed Ferrules (No Neck Plate)
ELECTRONICS
Bridge Pickup: Jackson High Output 8 String Humbucking
Neck Pickup: Jackson High Output 8-String Humbucking
Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
Pickup Configuration: HH
HARDWARE
Bridge: Jackson HT8 8-String Hardtail with Strings-Through-Body
Tuning Machines: Jackson Sealed Die-Cast
MISCELLANEOUS
Unique Features: Arched Top

These are the specifications, I'd like something what's considered to be an "allrounder", but mostly for heavy stuff.

Hywel

Reaction score
If that picture is of your guitar model then it's got those stupid Ibanez S8 style pickups that are much wider than normal passives for no reason. Nothing will fit in perfectly unfortunately.

You may well end up with this kinda thing going on...

20130211_180833.jpg

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
One option would be to contact instrumental pickups and have him build you custom sized pickups, or have ethan re-use the bobbins/baseboard to make you a set of sfty3-8 pickups. I don't know any other way around that other than dealing with pickups that don't fit, installing pickup rings, or having to route for soapbar sized pickups :/

oracles

Reaction score
As far as production size pickups go, you're SOL unfortunately. You'll either need to use pickup rings, or have a custom set built or rewound using the original bobbins.

I'd definitely recommend Ethan at Instrumental.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Whoa whoa whoa; the earlier picture-post is from an Ibanez, and you have a Jackson. Are the stock pups the same size? I don't know, but you shouldn't assume because Ibanez stock 8 pups are huge that Jacksons will be too before measuring.

Measure the pickups in there now and then go online to Duncan/Dimarzio/BKP/Whoever and compare measurements for their 8-string pickups.

Akhenat0n

Reaction score
Whoa whoa whoa; the earlier picture-post is from an Ibanez, and you have a Jackson. Are the stock pups the same size? I don't know, but you shouldn't assume because Ibanez stock 8 pups are huge that Jacksons will be too before measuring.

Measure the pickups in there now and then go online to Duncan/Dimarzio/BKP/Whoever and compare measurements for their 8-string pickups.

240 usd for a set.

Yeah, I might do that but now I'm really interested into those Instrumental pups. I've heard they are great.

Latest posts