Thicker string choices for D'Addario XS

• Thread starter yanlin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yanlin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I migrated from Elixir Nanowebs to D'Addario XS due to the Elixir being stiff to bend (even though the tension is the same, yes, yes, I know). I play 10s and unfortunately Elixir doesn't have 9.5s and their 9s feel too floppy.

So far I'm happy with D'Addario XS 10-46, but I'm trying to restring my 7 string as well. I'd need a 60, but XS doesn't have it (they only go up to 52).

Which one of the following would match better with XS:

1. NYXL, which is basically the uncoated version
2. XT, which is the less coated (kinda like Cleartone)
3. Elixir Optiweb. From what I gather the coating is similar to XS?

Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I haven't tried any of the strings you're asking about, wish I could help!

Have you tried Ernie Ball Cobalts? They stay bright sounding longer than any non coated string I've tried and have gauges closer to what you want.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
You described perfectly my chore. The Optiwebs also suffer for the increased tension issue (so no, they're not like the XS). Elixir just needs to release godamn 9.5 sets already.

If every person complaining about it sent them an email asking for them, maybe we'll get something... :(

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Unfortunately there just isn't much out there when it comes to coated 7 string sets.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
XS does have seven string sets with a low 56.

XT has a low 59 on its seven string set.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
What about an XS set with a 059 Elixir Optiweb for the low B? Not the cheapest alternative, but you'll appreciate the extra tightness of the Elixir and you won't be doing much bendings there.

BillCartESP

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Would mixing brands like that tonally match? I’ve often wondered about that.

BillCartESP

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That’s good to know. Don’t have a complete set for a few tunings. But I do have 7&8 string nyxl and 6 string xl sets I can mix until I can afford to put in a string order. Gonna try this. My ocd is already going off. Lol.