"brutal" highgain 1 channel amps? (or minimal 2 ch?)

• Thread starter Gmork
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Antiproduct

Reaction score
Blackstar St. James 50 6l6

2 preamp tubes, 2 power amp tubes, weighs next to nothing, 2 channels and cool features

Reactions: LCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Hard as tits to find but the Randall EOD88.
1 channel amp with a gain boost and built-in fuzz. It's sold as a doom/sludge amp, but without the fuzz engaged it's a tight and dry Fortin amp.

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Mezzabarba MZero Overdrive with boost pedal gets me brutality for classic thrash metal and Bogner UBERSCHALL for modern downturned metal. I’m loving both in my studio. But look at new Bogner Ultra Uberschall and KSR Juno.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not OP, but on the cheaper end of things the Blackstar St. James and Revv G20 have my interest like others pointed out.

Edit: wait, no red channel on the smaller Revv amps?

Last edited:

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score

2f4.png

Oh I'm stupid it's a 2 channel amp but oh well

I had the Cougar 15 combo for years. Great amp. Never tried the 50w version, but unless its voice is significantly different, I'm not sure I'd call it "brutal". It was a great hard rock amp, it reminded me a lot of the AIC sound. Not a metal amp, though. Maybe with a boost, but not at all by itself.

-Cetanu-

Reaction score
Diezel Big Max
ENGL Artist
Fryette Deliverance

BrutalRob

Reaction score
Kaos Hatred. You could get it as the 50watt version so only 2 powertubes, and as a single channel amp

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Maybe, but didn't he rip off Larry?
Larry and allegedly VHT/Fryette. It was Ceriatone that (not exactly) ripped off Fortin.

The closest I can think of Fortin copying Ceriatone is the fact the Meshuggah (and I think the Cali) Chupa, and Yeti are based on Jose mods.

Last edited:

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Marshall SC20h (a 20w JCM800 2203 with fx loop) is an awesome 1 channel high gain amp, especially when boosted with a Metalzone (dialed in as booster) 😉

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
This is the easiest answer ever: The Omega Granophyre. The absolute king. Nothing comes close, IMO for a single channel.

Reactions: LCW

Mad bastard

Reaction score
What are some very highgain "brutal" 1 channel amps (or 2 channels with few tubes/bells n whistles)

My single recto def falls into this category
I have made a modification on a blackstar ht5, there are just 2 tubes in that amp! (one 12ax7 for the preamp and one 12bh7 for the power amp)
I don't add tube.
You can ear my mod here :

What do you think of my mod?

Dabo Fett

Reaction score
Orange OR50 can get some ripping tones. Converge used one live for a little bit and Kvelertak and Old Man Gloom used it on some records