Budget amp options

• Thread starter pwattyyy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pwattyyy

Reaction score
I am looking at buying my first amp head but am on a bit of a budget. I've been looking at the laney ironheart 60w head and am pretty impressed, that is at the higher end of my bugdet and was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions around that price range. I mainly play metal (prog, thrash, whatever) but need a good clean sound aswell. I will most likely run it through a 2x12 with v30's or similar. Also I dont mind buying second hand but I am located in australia and so shipping internationally is not helpful for my budget. Cheers in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
i've been recommending the IRT Studio for the last few days everywhere, and i'll do it here again since you liked the 60w head. it's very versatile and has the exact same features as its bigger brothers, with the sole exception being the two 15w and 1w inputs instead of a general Watts knob. if you can find one used i'd definitely go with that

nlaplante

Reaction score
i've been recommending the IRT Studio for the last few days everywhere, and i'll do it here again since you liked the 60w head. it's very versatile and has the exact same features as its bigger brothers, with the sole exception being the two 15w and 1w inputs instead of a general Watts knob. if you can find one used i'd definitely go with that

this if you don't go the 60w head route. Otherwise, the IRT60H friggin rips.

pwattyyy

Reaction score

I've been trying to find more info about this as I dont really understand the difference between the two. Can you use the studio in the same way in a live setting with a cab? And what are the other advantages of the studio?

wheelsdeal

Reaction score
You can get a Randall RD45 for less.I dont know prices in Australia but in Europe the Laney IRT60 sells for 670 euro and the RD45 for 550.

I own the Laney and i have played the Randall.Laney is more versatile and more feature packed.You definately need to boost it with an od in front to get it really tight and give it a bit more gain.Great clean channel,the other 2 channels are both high gain one is scooped the other has more midrange and a tad more gain and volume to it.It has a certain grain to its sound where you either like it or not.

The Randall is much more simple,2 channels shared eq.Insanely tight (almost too tight for standard tuning) and simple to use.Very easy to get a good sound,the pots are very gradual with all the range usable (meaning gain on full or bass on full and still sounds good).Good cleans as well.

If you like versatility and getting different sounds out of the amp the Laney has a lot of knobs to tweek and push and pull,even the watts control gives you different sounds.If you dont need all that and basically you want a clean sound and a brutal high gain sound and thats it,the Randall is great.Its the best metal amp in its price range.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
the IRT Studio can certainly be used as a regular amp head, and its other advantages over the 60w or 120w heads are its more compact size, and USB and DI outputs which are very useful for recording. the other difference is the wattage (15 max) which may or may not be what you want.

MoshJosh

Reaction score
currently I'm looking into the Egnater Renegade, they go used for pretty good prices but probably gonna need a boost to get the BROOTZ

Promit

Reaction score
Jet City (by Soldano) are excellent heads for the money as well. The JCA 22 in particular is a monster for its size and price.

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
+1 for Laney...even a GH50L is a killer amp but old school: clean sound with volume knob and a huge crunch...boosted it s mean thrashy death prog as hell !!!
Laney is cheap Laney is good...otherwise save up for EVH 50 and your quest will be achieved ;)

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
EVH 50 is a good suggestion.

Go cheaper and I'd say the trustee 5150.

Rd45 sounds cool but on the super budget, I see nothing wrong with dare I say a Bugera.

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score

Rd45 sounds cool but on the super budget, I see nothing wrong with dare I say a Bugera.

You don't want a Bugera. You're going too cheap for reliability at that point as they are known for having issues or problems with reliability. I have seen more in service than on the shelves.

pwattyyy

Reaction score

Definitely considering saving a little more for a evh 50. Might wait ! month until after my birthday and see how my budget is looking, but I also will need to buy a cab, any recommendations on a 2x12?

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
You don't want a Bugera. You're going too cheap for reliability at that point as they are known for having issues or problems with reliability. I have seen more in service than on the shelves.

the Chinese made laney irt's have proved no more reliable

Vrollin

Reaction score
Randall RG series head, second hand they come cheeeaaap! Add a decent EQ into the loop, job done!

Axewield31

Reaction score
I'm in Australia and am selling my Orange Dual Terror. Tightens up pretty well with a boost. Might be a bit dark and fizzy still though. Depends what sound you want.

If you can stretch to the EVH, I would.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score

Not to argue on this dudes thread but I think that is a false statement.

This is not 2007. Bugera has fixed any quality issues.

I know a couple of guys that have had a Bugera for years without any issues whatsoever.

Not saying it is impossible to get a lemon but I am saying that the general Bugera stereotype is false.

Granted I would still save a bit more and get the EVH but if you could find a decent, newer bugera for a few $$$ it wouldn't be a bad deal.

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
Not to argue on this dudes thread but I think that is a false statement.

This is not 2007. Bugera has fixed any quality issues.

I know a couple of guys that have had a Bugera for years without any issues whatsoever.

Not saying it is impossible to get a lemon but I am saying that the general Bugera stereotype is false.

Granted I would still save a bit more and get the EVH but if you could find a decent, newer bugera for a few $$$ it wouldn't be a bad deal.

I'm not stating a forum stereotype. I was a technician for years and have older friends who still do. I'm stating my observations and actual facts. Whether each of us disagree is one thing, but do not get actual observations confused with heresay please :)

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
I'm not stating a forum stereotype. I was a technician for years and have older friends who still do. I'm stating my observations and actual facts. Whether each of us disagree is one thing, but do not get actual observations confused with heresay please :)

ok, that is fine.

But my observations are different.

About 7-8 years ago I played one in a shop, they JUST got it in. Were all pumped DUDE you gotta check out this amp, for the price, its better than a Peavey blah blah.

Within 10 minutes of me playing the thing blew up and stopped working.

So I am aware of your observations being factual but I am also aware they was years ago and the newer Bugera's do not have these issues.

Next time you see one on the bench, put a manufacturing date on it and report back.