Budget Friendly Modelers?

• Thread starter ElRay
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
It's my day-to-day work machine, no can do. If things ever got simple enough that I could survive in Windows, I'd just switch to Linux.
You could get some dirt cheap Windows laptop used to use with the editor. I got both my parents used Thinkpads with SSDs for $100 that are absolute champs. That would also allow you to revive your other software defunct gear.

I was going to go with one of the cheaper modellers, but am very glad I went for the Stomp over those. Stomp + laptop is still cheaper than an FM3.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I really like my HX Stomp. Can snag one for below $500 if you're patient. I'd do what @GunpointMetal says and ditch Apple. Gear first!

If that's not an option, the Mooer GE stuff was what I was lookin at before going with the Stomp. The GE 150 seems like a really compelling value option considering it has the same modelling capabilities as the bigger models.

GE aside, I have the Mooer PreAmp Live and after pairing it with a Two Notes CAB M, it has tones for days. If the cabs in the GE 300 are the same (which I think they are), I don't think the OP would be disappointed.

While the FM3 (or regular Axe for that matter) is pretty much the 'top of the food chain' in terms of modelers these days, it should be said that you can still get damn good tones out of less expensive gear and that it's kinda shortsighted to tell everyone that asks about budget gear to 'just save up and buy a Fractal'.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
...it should be said that you can still get damn good tones out of less expensive gear and that it's kinda shortsighted to tell everyone that asks about budget gear to 'just save up and buy a Fractal'.

I’d argue that is more long-term thinking. If someone wants a Fractal but “settles” for something else and then still wants the fractal, they’re likely spending more in the long run.

Of course that assumes that they’ll still want the Fractal, which may not be a fair assumption. As you say other modelers can also get excellent results. If a person is honestly completely open minded about it, yeah. But if they’re at all leaning Fractal and if it’s not too much of a financial stretch, those recommendations do make a lot of sense. Additionally, resale on the Fractal gear is higher than the other modelers so if they decide to go a different direction later, they could potentially be losing less.

I’ve wanted a LP Custom for a long time. I was finally ready to pull the trigger and started thinking maybe I should get a PRS 594 instead. A few people said, wisely, that if you want the LPC, get the LPC. I did that and now have zero GAS for a 594. If I’d gotten the 594, I 100% would’ve still wanted the LPC.

Then again, we all know I’m crazy so take all that with a grain of salt. :)

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Thanks. Big question about the split paths and stereo input:

The HX Stomp & Effects both have Left/Right inputs, but the manual makes it seem that you can't split the input into Left/Right. You can make a split path immediately after the single input, and send the stereo signal down two parallel paths, but you can't start with two inputs like you can with the Helix.

Can you do a split path and process the left and right channels completely independently? Is there a stereo splitter (L and R to separate paths) block?

... I went for the Stomp ...
What is the difference between the HX Stomp and the HX Effects? There's only a $50 difference between the two, but the HX Effects seems to have a lot more. It looks like it has more than the HX Stomp XL, which is another $50 over the HX Effects.

Last edited:

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Thanks. Big question about the split paths and stereo input:

The HX Stomp & Effects both have Left/Right inputs, but the manual makes it seem that you can't split the input into Left/Right. You can make a split path immediately after the single input, and send the stereo signal down two parallel paths, but you can't start with two inputs like you can with the Helix.

Can you do a split path and process the left and right channels completely independently? Is there a stereo splitter (L and R to separate paths) block?
The HX Effects doesn't have any amp modelling as mentioned, so it's a very different beast.

I've never tried what you're referring, but I believe it is possible using the split paths as you say. In HX edit, you would simply drag down the first effect and create split path. You can split either Y style or A/B style. When the path rejoins, you would pan them hard left and right and they would remain a true stereo signal. I do this when using dual amp setups, but with only a mono input.

Keep in mind, you only have 8 blocks and a limited amount of DSP to work with, so your chains can't get too complex. It may be worth getting a demo Helix Native and using the compatibility to see if what you want to do is feasible.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Digging through manuals and what I could with the software and no hardware, it looks like the following can take the stereo input, and pan hard-right/left the two channels into separate chains:
  • FM3
  • Helix/HX series
  • Boss GT-1000/GT-1000CORE
These two are "iffy":
  • HeadRush PedalBoard
  • Mooer GE300
Can anybody who owns one of these confirm? What I'm trying to do is to take the stereo FX return, split it into two paths, and A/B-Mixer/hard-pan one channel left and the other right.

These last two are stereo, but you can't split the channels into separate signal paths:
  • Ampero
  • Plethora X5

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Adding to the No-Go list is:
  • Pod GO
There's a stereo FX return (on a TRC jack/plug), but there's not the option for two signal chains.
  • Ampero
  • Plethora X5