Building Tutorials and Links Thread

Necromagnon

Reaction score
hey - i dont know if this has been brought up already, but how much would I be looking at spending if I were to build my own guitar?
between wood, neck, laminate, hardware and all of that?
Depends on the tool you already have and the exterior help you can have.
For exemple, for my 1st 8 strings, I already go cisels, plane, rasps, driller, and many common tools like that. I still needed to buy a rooter with good bits (a friend sold me he's old with bits for less than 50$), good sand paper, and the furnitures for the guitar. I've been helped buy a profession carpenter that gave me some wood, and help me resaw, plane, and prepare every wood.
Still, with this, I got for almost 1400/1500€ for that guitar. And it's without counting the time on it. So don't go for money to build your own, but for the originality, and the pride. :cheers:

ThatCanadianGuy

Where am I? D:
Reaction score
For exemple, for my 1st 8 strings, I already go cisels, plane, rasps, driller, and many common tools like that. I still needed to buy a rooter with good bits (a friend sold me he's old with bits for less than 50$), good sand paper, and the furnitures for the guitar. I've been helped buy a profession carpenter that gave me some wood, and help me resaw, plane, and prepare every wood.
Still, with this, I got for almost 1400/1500€ for that guitar. And it's without counting the time on it. So don't go for money to build your own, but for the originality, and the pride. :cheers:

If you can source the right place for woods, and have someone willing to lend you the tools you don't have, you might be able to come out under a grand. If you source your electronics from a large retailer, like AllParts or Carvin, they aren't all that expensive either.

Transmissions

Reaction score
iI just found this, and there is a TON of information on there, videos on setting up necks, a 150 page pdf on basics, lots of videos etc. From what I saw it was all free and for public access. Gonna dig through it more tomorrow.
Guitarbuilding.org

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nysaleem

Reaction score
I will start things out. Here are 3 books that I have found particularly useful that have also have been recommended by several other forum members:

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
Well...here I am showing my age...
If you are not into immediate gratification, and would really like to understand guitar building with a minimum of special tools and expense, see if you can find Irving Sloane's Classical Guitar Building....

Yup, I know...Please read through and then beat me up later.

However there are some things that are integral to building acoustics, hollow bodys, and solid bodies.
Wood is wood, and having fundamental techniques will really save money and time in the long run.

OK, Everybody can blast me now.

Great great suggestion. No blasting at all. I've been recommended this book several times by great professional luthiers.

JakeBoop

Chaotic Catastrophe
Reaction score
I want to build an electric guitar, been playing for about 8-9 years and thinking it's probably about time. Since it'd be my first hand-made guitar, obviously I'd like to keep the resources fairly cheap. About how much would it be on an estimate? most likely a 27 scale with nothing fancy or anything.

Necromagnon

Reaction score
I want to build an electric guitar, been playing for about 8-9 years and thinking it's probably about time. Since it'd be my first hand-made guitar, obviously I'd like to keep the resources fairly cheap. About how much would it be on an estimate? most likely a 27 scale with nothing fancy or anything.
A few posts above:
If you can source the right place for woods, and have someone willing to lend you the tools you don't have, you might be able to come out under a grand. If you source your electronics from a large retailer, like AllParts or Carvin, they aren't all that expensive either.

There're even topics on wood suppliers, I guess hardware suppliers and so on... We can't tell you how much it'll cost just because: we don't know what you are willing to build, what equipment you already have, if you needs books, and whatever... And basically: if you're willing to build your own guitar, you'd better be ready to do some work on your own, and it starts with researches on several forums for answers already debated billions of time... :2c:

JakeBoop

Chaotic Catastrophe
Reaction score
A few posts above:

There're even topics on wood suppliers, I guess hardware suppliers and so on... We can't tell you how much it'll cost just because: we don't know what you are willing to build, what equipment you already have, if you needs books, and whatever... And basically: if you're willing to build your own guitar, you'd better be ready to do some work on your own, and it starts with researches on several forums for answers already debated billions of time... :2c:

Thanks a lot, definitely thinking seriously about it now. Rock on :shred:

Necromagnon

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, definitely thinking seriously about it now. Rock on :shred:
I canno't push more to go on this. It's freaking addictive and really enjoyable. If you read a few thread, mostly starting thread of some guys around here, you'll see how addicted they got... :lol:

se7en_immortal

Mick The Freak
Reaction score
Wow! This is awesome! I've actually just recently been talking with my wife about possibly building guitars (including one for myself) as a business. I'm very grateful for this thread :) Thanx!

jahosy

Reaction score
So my jointer / thicknesser went kaput over the weekend and needed to flatten some 1-inch thick guitar tops.

I remember seeing someone built a rig with the router as a 'planer'. Are there any alternatives out there?

Thanks in advance :)

dankarghh

Reaction score
So my jointer / thicknesser went kaput over the weekend and needed to flatten some 1-inch thick guitar tops.

I remember seeing someone built a rig with the router as a 'planer'. Are there any alternatives out there?

Thanks in advance :)

Thicknessing with a router is the worst. But I continue to do it, tears and all..

Edit: body blanks bring the bad times, no problems otherwise.

Latest posts