Building Tutorials and Links Thread

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Through owning a fanned fret guitar, if there's anything I've noticed to be more important than the actual scales used it's the location of the perpendicular fret.

I hypothesize that moving the perpendicular fret towards the nut will allow for scales of greater difference, yet retain ergonomics and overall playability. It'll allow for more traditional fingering of chords on the lower frets yet still give them an ergonomic fan, in the vein of Strandberg and other minimally fanned guitars. It'll also increase the fan in the higher register, which depending on how you position your thumb when playing can increase ergonomics when playing single note runs.

I'll report more on that when I get my Strandberg.

Levi79

Reaction score
Does anyone here know any good video tutorials or anything of the like? I have Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvin Hiscock and I've learned alot, but I've always been a visual learner.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
^Well, you could check out Crimson Guitars. They have a rather expansive workshop diary going, and some very helpful Youtube videos (like this series). Ormsby has a rather wonderful video diary as well.
The Youtube user Floating Bones also has some nifty tips, including some good "wiring for dummies" advice.

...and there are probably loads more, but I can't remember any more properly good ones right ATM.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Levi79

Reaction score
Thanks very much dude! I really appreciate it. I'll probably be checking out all of them!

Just finished the Crimson Guitars series in one sitting. :lol:

Guitarman789009

Reaction score
I plan on making my first guitar this summer. I own Make your Own electric guitar and have been reading through it but i am interested in making a 7 string (The book only shows 6 strings). So how much harder will it be to make a seven string and where can i find a good tutorial for it?

Levi79

Reaction score
I plan on making my first guitar this summer. I own Make your Own electric guitar and have been reading through it but i am interested in making a 7 string (The book only shows 6 strings). So how much harder will it be to make a seven string and where can i find a good tutorial for it?
Literally the same thing, except an extra string. And potentially a baritone scale if that suits your tastes.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I think a 7 might be just a tad easier just because it has a built in centre line from the 4th string. You'd just need to find out what thickness the neck will need to be at the nut and 12th fret and you should be ok.

Levi79

Reaction score
Found this guys videos last night. Some awful humor involved and he seems to think we care about what he's eating and drinking in every video, but regardless, there's some great information in these videos and they're pretty entertaining as well. Probably would be quite helpful for other visual learners like me.
jsullysix - YouTube

cajunboy2k

Reaction score

Thyber

Reaction score
I'm not a handy person, but would you think swirling a guitar body is something I can do myself?

Necromagnon

Reaction score
I'm not a handy person, but would you think swirling a guitar body is something I can do myself?
If you have some tools, sure. A router and a ball bearing bit, and you're ready. Go read some threads about building here and on project guitar, and you'll be able to make your own opinion on it.
:cheers:

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
^I don't think routers are all that handy for swirling... ;)

But sure, a large enough container (oil drums seem popular), some borax, Humbrol enamel paints and some patience. There's not much risk in the process, but it might not actually come out looking all that great, depending on a number of factors such as how crazy you get when stirring the paints, and your dipping movements.

I've never actually done it myself, but to my eye it's never a good idea to stir the surface too much, or to dip too "zig-zaggy". Fluent movement is where it's at for me.

Necromagnon

Reaction score
^I don't think routers are all that handy for swirling... ;)
Whoo o_O
I don't know what I've read (or smoke, i guess) when I wrote this post...
:squint:

But sure, a large enough container (oil drums seem popular), some borax, Humbrol enamel paints and some patience. There's not much risk in the process, but it might not actually come out looking all that great, depending on a number of factors such as how crazy you get when stirring the paints, and your dipping movements.

I've never actually done it myself, but to my eye it's never a good idea to stir the surface too much, or to dip too "zig-zaggy". Fluent movement is where it's at for me.
I've never done any swirling, but I remember a friend shown us a way to do a swirl paint, just by apllying a large quantity of multiple paints on the body and then using a plastic film apllied on the body, and twisted to swirl the paint. It works really nice, but I can't find the video again... :wallbash:

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
^Yeah, that'll give you those Jackson vortex-esque swirls. I guess we need Thyber to tell us what kind he's talking about.

bannyd

Reaction score
hey - i dont know if this has been brought up already, but how much would I be looking at spending if I were to build my own guitar?
between wood, neck, laminate, hardware and all of that?

Thanks