Cab for Orange Dark Terror - Alternatives to Orange?

YouAreAwesome

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I recently had a great bargain on an Orange Dark Terror. Previously I only played combo's so now I'm looking for a cab. I don't want to spend too much money, the Orange PPC112 would be an option in my budget. However, before buying this rather obvious choice I was wondering if there are alternatives I should consider?

I'm not all that clever or picky regarding tone. What I would try to play is a modern metal sound that still has enough low's and punch but still has warmth (which got me interested in Orange). Nothing all too complicated. I might experiment with EQ and such at a later stage, now I just want to have a solid basis.

Last: I don't perform with the amp, so the cab only has to be suited for playing at home.

Tips anybody? Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scrub

Reaction score
get the Orange 112. I have it coupled with my dark terror and it sounds great. vintage 30 is great. You won't regret it.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
Mesa Recto 2x12 is an amazing sounding cab for the Dark Terror.

I let my guitarist use my Recto cab at a party (back when I had it) and various people jammed out with the DT/cab combo and it was phenomenal. Many experienced people in the room said it was one of the best tones (for regular traditional tones) they heard.

Tung Sol RI in V1 improves the DT a bit too.

I had thought of the idea of using Orange 1x8's with my Recto. Based on what I heard these are not good cabs, although they are tiny. Below is a cheap photoshop.

12295345_10153803908623035_7356372136862417260_n.jpg

starbelly

Reaction score
That is my exact setup (Orange DT with a Tung Sol in V1 running through a Mesa Recto 2x12 with V30s).

Seriously, it sounds killer.

I am a lazy man though, and am considering getting a smaller 1x12 for the orange when I'm doing some low-key jamming with friends. Perhaps the Orange PPC112 is in my future.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
If your budget allows it, I'd go with the Orange. Just something about the look of all Orange, plus they make killer cabinets.

I've never been able to try the DT through an Orange cab, but a friend of mine had a DT that I got to try through my Mesa and his V30 loaded Marshall and it was pretty sweet. Not enough juice to keep up with a practicing band IMO, but fine for moderate/bedroom volumes.

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
I highly recommend the Genz Benz G Flex 2x12. They can be had for around $300 (used). They sound amazing, and are indestructible. Plus, they are ported!

The 2x12 Recto cabs are also amazing!!!