Can a phase switch be installed on any guitar?

ACfireandiceDC

Reaction score
Hey,

So I'm going to be building a 7-string guitar pretty soon. I was thinking of installing a phase switch. The guitar is going to have 2 humbuckers, 1 single coil, 1 volume, 1-2 tone knobs, a killswitch, a coil tap push/pull switch, and a 5-way pickup selector. (Oh, and it's also going to have a floyd rose, so the grounding wire will probably connect to it.)

Given this wiring, would it be possible to install a phase switch like this one and have it work? Peavey T 60 T 40 Phase Switch Replacement Genuine C K Flat Paddle Quality Part | eBay

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
On passive pickups it is possible to install a phase switch.

I think it is not possible on active (EMG anyway) and surely not on Lace's Bar pickups (got an email from them stating that).

Reaction score
Sorry, I miss referenced the Lace pickup. The kind I should have mentioned are "Alumitones". These cannot be phased. I know Lace builds conventional pickups too, so, you're better asking them, they will respond pretty quick. Looking at your pickup, I'd say you can't switch phase them, but ask them, you are an email away...

vansinn

Reaction score
Instead of wiring the pups directly into a potentiometer, and as such using this as a passive summing point, use an opamp with two input resistors as the summing point.
Now, hook up an extra opamp in an inverter, before the above mentioned summing amp.
You can use a dual-opamp for the whole shebang.
And of course use a switch to have the pup that's wanted phase-reversed go either straight to the summing amp, or via the inverting opamp.