New Guitar Flame Top Peavey Wolfgang Special Deluxe

• Thread starter Necky379
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necky379

Reaction score
I picked this up a couple weeks ago, honeymoon phase is over and I’m still thrilled with this one, can’t put it down. I had a gold Special back in the day and have always regretted selling that one but this is on another level. It’s got some weight to it, plays so well and is one of the best sounding guitars I currently own regardless of price. The neck and pickups these things have are incredible. Here’s some pictures:

1715277195322.jpeg
1715277273346.jpeg
1715277291506.jpeg
1715277321509.jpeg
I’ve got to put the D-Tuna back on next string change.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats, that thing is sick! I love the gold top ones too, frickin awesome looking guitars.

I'm not familiar with them spec-wise, what kind of pickups do they have?

Necky379

Reaction score
Congrats
Does it have the d-tune gadget that Eddie's had?
The previous owner never got one with it but was generous enough to include a brand new one. I just need to install it next string change.

Congrats, that thing is sick! I love the gold top ones too, frickin awesome looking guitars.

I'm not familiar with them spec-wise, what kind of pickups do they have?

They’re awesome, the stock Peavey pickups are actually my favorite passives if I had to choose. They’re both hot A5’s, the neck uses 44 awg wire and the bridge uses 43 awg so the neck reads higher resistance but they’re both hot hot. I’ve collected the pickups for awhile, they both make fantastic bridge pickups. The neck is spec’d like a JB x Tone Zone cross and the bridge is like an overwound Custom 5 and feels much hotter. The short screws, brass plates and winds make a difference comparing them to their Duncan Dimarzio equivalents. If you install one in the bridge position, the neck pickup is like a less sharp and piercing JB with a more defined low end but less boomy than a Tone Zone. In the neck it’s fluid and compressed, single notes are loud. It’s set fairly distant from the strings for a reason. The bridge pickup is something like a less scooped Custom 5, it has that cocked wah midrange to the extreme you either love or hate, I love it. It’s got plenty of low end but it’s easily controlled and the top end is never shrill just very bright. Great attack with those short screws. I’ve got at least 10 or 11 neck and bridge pickups and I put them in other guitars too. I’ll sing their praise every chance I get, if they were Suhr’s, BKP, etc models I think people would go crazy over them.

Last edited:

FloridaST

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice. I see that there are also Peavey Wolfgang Standards but they're usually for quite a bit more $$$. What's the difference between the two?

Necky379

Reaction score
Nice. I see that there are also Peavey Wolfgang Standards but they're usually for quite a bit more $$$. What's the difference between the two?
The maple top on the Standards are carved and the Special Deluxe tops are flat. The carved tops are slightly thicker. The Standards have a tone pot, the Specials are single volume only. The Standards generally have better figuring, more birdseye on the necks.

FloridaST

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I found a purple flamed Standard that's somewhat local to me. It's an early Pat. Pending model, still has the CE sticker. Guy wants $2200 for it - what do you think? Has a goofy sticker on it but hopefully didn't do any damage. I'm not that familiar with these models but the neck pickup orientation looks off. I've seen most of these with the white coil on both pups at 12 o'clock.

426495140_24667302046218546_8242348598124794549_n.jpg426513483_7609073375803558_2096486023866607850_n.jpg426515268_24705910799057708_1882398526277595844_n.jpg

Marked Man

Reaction score
The previous owner never got one with it but was generous enough to include a brand new one. I just need to install it next string change.

They’re awesome, the stock Peavey pickups are actually my favorite passives if I had to choose. They’re both hot A5’s, the neck uses 44 awg wire and the bridge uses 43 awg so the neck reads higher resistance but they’re both hot hot. I’ve collected the pickups for awhile, they both make fantastic bridge pickups. The neck is spec’d like a JB x Tone Zone cross and the bridge is like an overwound Custom 5 and feels much hotter. The short screws, brass plates and winds make a difference comparing them to their Duncan Dimarzio equivalents. If you install one in the bridge position, the neck pickup is like a less sharp and piercing JB with a more defined low end but less boomy than a Tone Zone. In the neck it’s fluid and compressed, single notes are loud. It’s set fairly distant from the strings for a reason. The bridge pickup is something like a less scooped Custom 5, it has that cocked wah midrange to the extreme you either love or hate, I love it. It’s got plenty of low end but it’s easily controlled and the top end is never shrill just very bright. Great attack with those short screws. I’ve got at least 10 or 11 neck and bridge pickups and I put them in other guitars too. I’ll sing their praise every chance I get, if they were Suhr’s, BKP, etc models I think people would go crazy over them.

I love the D Tuna and have been putting it on all of my top mount Floyd guitars. Will probably block one or two others that are recessed just for that since Drop D is a must.

Necky379

Reaction score
I found a purple flamed Standard that's somewhat local to me. It's an early Pat. Pending model, still has the CE sticker. Guy wants $2200 for it - what do you think? Has a goofy sticker on it but hopefully didn't do any damage. I'm not that familiar with these models but the neck pickup orientation looks off. I've seen most of these with the white coil on both pups at 12 o'clock.

View attachment 144454View attachment 144455View attachment 144456
Sounds like a good price for a Standard. Someone might’ve flipped the neck pickup. It looks original in the pictures. People swap the neck and bridge, put the bridge pickup in the neck hole and vice versa sometimes too. If it was in its case and the sticker comes off easy I wouldn’t think it’d cause damage to the finish.

manu80

Reaction score
Diggin the amber flame. To me it's THE wolfgang.
I love when the necks are getting colored with that slight orange hue after years of playing.
My HP2 is still too light lol

Latest posts