Can be sanded off the inlays on the fretboard?

• Thread starter venndi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

venndi

Reaction score
I looking into gibson gothic I and II explorers for a while, but these are rare.
So, I found a gibson blackout explorer. What do you think, can these inlays sanding off? Of course it would make a luthier.
DSXS15EBBC1-Hero.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hywel

Reaction score
I doubt it. By the time you've sanded them out you'll probably find the fretboard is too thin or even gone completely once you've got the radius back. Some people have had success with dying the inlay and fretboard black but I assume results can vary hugely.

Dcm81

Reaction score
Probably not. If at all possible, it's also going to take a while and be quite expensive as you'll basically need to get it refretted.

Grand Rabbit

Reaction score
Once you've payed a luthier to remove those inlays ( I doubt they would sand them out, most likely they would remove them somehow and replace it with little pieces of ebony ) you will most likely have spent just about as much as it costs to have a custom built blackout explorer kind of guitar.

Bearitone

Reaction score
No you can't sand them out. By the time you did you'd have a horribly scalloped fretboard, if you're lucky.

Maybe a stain might work? probably not though.

marcwormjim

Reaction score
They sell vinyl fretboard stickers that imitate wood grain or even other dumb inlays. It's the second cheapest option, behind not buying a guitar you don't like.