Can I use a D-Tuna to raise the pitch?

• Thread starter ElRay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    d tuna
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Typically D-Tunas are used to "temporarily" drop the pitch of a string. What if it was left in the down-tuned position most of the time? I don't think it would cause a problem, but sometimes things just aren't designed to be left in the "temporary" position long term.

Ray

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
Its a mechanical device, so minus issues with the floating trem going out of whack, you should be cool (of course, not accounting for how accurate the d-tuna is).

The

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Its a mechanical device, so minus issues with the floating trem going out of whack, you should be cool
The instructions say the trem should be blocked. I would think a Tremelo-No should be good too.
(of course, not accounting for how accurate the d-tuna is).
That's the other part. The tuning adjustment on the lower setting might not be accurate enough for real, spending most of the time in this position, use.

Ray

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The instructions say the trem should be blocked. I would think a Tremelo-No should be good too.That's the other part. The tuning adjustment on the lower setting might not be accurate enough for real, spending most of the time in this position, use.

Ray

The D-Tuna setup would be fine for this - the lower adjustment is the one that actually works better with the fine tuner. The suggested setup is to tune to the lower pitch, push in the D-Tuna, and use the allen key set screw to adjust the higher one in tune. After that, it's usually slide-n-go.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Interesting idea. What string were you planning on using this with?
I saw a Halo BH7 with 2 D-Tunas installed. So, back to my AbCEAbCEAb tuning, I thought I could tune to that with the D-Tunas in the lower position, and then flip them "up", when/if I wanted A and D drones instead of worrying about capos. After I posted, it dawned on me that I was making the standard capo error in reverse -- using the D-Tuna is going to change the whole tuning and not just the open string pitch.

I really wanted something in the range of 27" to 28-5/8" scale length, but I got a vague "I thought it was 27", but it looks more like 26.5"", plus it had a stripped truss rod and what appeared to be slightly sloppy pick-up routes around the after purchase 707 upgrade. Adding that to the "changes the tuning not just the open string note" and the "Sure I can buy it now, but it will only delay getting what I really want." issues lead me to not bid.

Ray

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I saw a Halo BH7 with 2 D-Tunas installed. So, back to my AbCEAbCEAb tuning, I thought I could tune to that with the D-Tunas in the lower position, and then flip them "up", when/if I wanted A and D drones instead of worrying about capos. After I posted, it dawned on me that I was making the standard capo error in reverse -- using the D-Tuna is going to change the whole tuning and not just the open string pitch.

I really wanted something in the range of 27" to 28-5/8" scale length, but I got a vague "I thought it was 27", but it looks more like 26.5"", plus it had a stripped truss rod and what appeared to be slightly sloppy pick-up routes around the after purchase 707 upgrade. Adding that to the "changes the tuning not just the open string note" and the "Sure I can buy it now, but it will only delay getting what I really want." issues lead me to not bid.

Ray

Damn...still, interesting idea.

I was wondering if you wanted to do something like raise the A and D strings to turn standard tuning into Open E minor.