Can I use Toontrack MIDI packs with GGD Kits?

• Thread starter Deadpool_25
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Juuuust getting started with Logic. I have a couple GGD kits. OKW Modern Fusion, Modern & Massive, and P4. I also have a few of their MIDI packs.

Can I use a toontrack midi pack with the GGD kits? Easy? Doable but pain in the ass? Can't be done?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
Juuuust getting started with Logic. I have a couple GGD kits. OKW Modern Fusion, Modern & Massive, and P4. I also have a few of their MIDI packs.

Can I use a toontrack midi pack with the GGD kits? Easy? Doable but pain in the ass? Can't be done?
i think midi is midi but there may be proprietary code for ez drummer or superior drummer specific to their product and likewise with GGD for layers and such in the samples. maybe ask a sales guy at sweetwater about it before spending the money. I think they sell both products

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
This is a big reason I quit using GGD, aside from the fact I could never get the multi-outs to work properly. Any MIDI I loaded from EZD/SD3 into it needed to be re-mapped.

They have some different mappings as presets but even using the Standard or Global or whatever they call the one that *should* work across multiple platforms, I had to map everything out. Differences in the kits can cause that, but my MIDI’s were so far off I was spending forever mapping them.

Really, the only thing I found redeemable with GGD was that they have a snare with the strainer off, which I LOVE as a huge Portnoy/Carey fan. The non-EQ’d toms were a real headscratcher for me, though. Seems kind of daft to EQ the shit out of the kick/snare but leave the toms alone.

I haven’t tried EZD3 yet, but I use SD3 all the time and it smokes everything else I’ve used (EZD2, Slate, GGD).

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
^This. The mapping will be an issue.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Even as far as a full remapping potentially being necessary goes, it's worth mentioning that you can click the key on the left of the DAW midi editor to select every note of that type, and then drag them all at once to the correct key. So even with say 20 pieces to remap, it's just 20 click and drags

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
Thanks guys. The mapping is what I thought might be an issue. I'd think you could map it once, save that as a map template, and recall it if using a midi pack from another manufacturer?

I haven't really looked into SD or EZD much at all tbh. I've just had GGD for quite a while and figured I'd start using it a little.

I will check out SD3.

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
This is a big reason I quit using GGD, aside from the fact I could never get the multi-outs to work properly. Any MIDI I loaded from EZD/SD3 into it needed to be re-mapped.

They have some different mappings as presets but even using the Standard or Global or whatever they call the one that *should* work across multiple platforms, I had to map everything out. Differences in the kits can cause that, but my MIDI’s were so far off I was spending forever mapping them.

Really, the only thing I found redeemable with GGD was that they have a snare with the strainer off, which I LOVE as a huge Portnoy/Carey fan. The non-EQ’d toms were a real headscratcher for me, though. Seems kind of daft to EQ the shit out of the kick/snare but leave the toms alone.

I haven’t tried EZD3 yet, but I use SD3 all the time and it smokes everything else I’ve used (EZD2, Slate, GGD).
Which GGD kit is that snare in? I'm also a big Carey/Tool fan.

tedtan

Reaction score
Thanks guys. The mapping is what I thought might be an issue. I'd think you could map it once, save that as a map template, and recall it if using a midi pack from another manufacturer?

I haven't really looked into SD or EZD much at all tbh. I've just had GGD for quite a while and figured I'd start using it a little.

I will check out SD3.
Yes, just do it once and then save the map so you don’t have to do it each time.

MUTANTOID

Reaction score
I discovered this recently as someone I was collabing with had GGD midi and wanted Superior Drummer multitracks. I tried to find any easy way to decipher the GGD midi mapping, but their support tab on the website redirects to a Facebook group. LMAO.

Kymatik

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It works but Toontrack has way more articulations. GGD just uses a different mapping, I found one for Invasion that works out of the box on google somewhere and then manually applied the same map to the other packs.
I attached a Screenshot, you could just copy that.
EDIT: Be aware the notes start in the minus range.

Attachments

• mapping.PNG
    mapping.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

jvms

Reaction score
If you have access to the MIDI files, you can deffinitely drop them in a GGD track for sure, but you will have to remap the library or the MIDI. Keep in mind that even after remapping, both libraries have very different dynamic ranges and articulations, so the MIDI might not sound so good out of the box, and you might have to adjust velocities to make it sound good. That may defeat the purpose of using MIDI packs, as they are made for easing up a producer's life, but it sounds like in this situation, you will have a good amount of trouble to make it sound good.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I bought some GGD MIDI and tried to remap to EZD2. It didn't really work well. Not sure if I should spend more time with it.