Cantrell/Hetfield amp recommendation - modded Marshall tone

• Thread starter guitar123daniel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
FWIW I had a Bogner modded Traynor amp. The Traynor was like a Canadian Marshall JTM50 clone, and it had been modded to have a master volume. High and low inputs. So like a 2204ish thing. Plus some switches that definitely did something but hard to describe (maybe like the structure switches). It definitely did the Cantrell thing and had a certain "chewiness" (?) to it that was unique and hard to describe.

Still preferred the bone stock 2204 and an SD-1 though.

Yeah I'll probably go JCM800 and SD-1

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score

FANTASTIC vid about the Jose Mod and general modded Marshall greatness.

Great video. Love Pete's videos, and Dave Friedman too, cool. Do you think a Jose mod in a JCM800 would sound good? Could always boost it again with an SD-1 if I wanted more.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Do you think a Jose mod in a JCM800 would sound good? Could always boost it again with an SD-1 if I wanted more.

:agreed:

Odds of you "needing" more aren't good... but you still may want more lol.

But seriously, more gain isn't necessarily what you need for good tone, especially Jerry's tone. They literally took Snorkler and stuck it in a stairwell with mics with everything at 10.

Humbuck

Can't stop, won't stop
Reaction score
Anybody any experience with JCM800 2210? Might suit me as it has a clean channel too.

Often slept on gain monster. Great head if big crunch and aggression is your thing. I think they're great although no Marshall's are known for their "clean channel" fwiw.

efiltsohg

Reaction score
FWIW I had a Bogner modded Traynor amp. The Traynor was like a Canadian Marshall JTM50 clone, and it had been modded to have a master volume. High and low inputs. So like a 2204ish thing. Plus some switches that definitely did something but hard to describe (maybe like the structure switches). It definitely did the Cantrell thing and had a certain "chewiness" (?) to it that was unique and hard to describe.

Still preferred the bone stock 2204 and an SD-1 though.

Traynors are seriously slept-on amps

OP there are so many other JCM-ish amps worth checking out as well. There's a reason those were copied so much

efiltsohg

Reaction score
also most (of the "good") Marshalls all have that same character. This album for example is a Les Paul with P90s into a boosted but stock Plexi, sounds heavy as fuck

Descent

Reaction score
I've been recommended the Kraken elsewhere too. Does it do the modded Marshall sound? I've always thought of it as a modern high gain/djent-y sort of amp.
There's a rotund gentleman by the name of Rabea Mossad or something like that - he demoes it and it sounds very much like boosted Marshall. Check Youtube.

AxeTone5

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve been getting similar tones out of a modified Marshall JCM2000 TSL602 2x12 combo. I swapped out the speakers for Vintage 30s. Crank the lead channel and master volume. The stock Wolverine speakers sound terrible, but if you replace them with V30s, it gives it clarity and punchiness. The amp has a smooth, fat, and creamy gain, so with the new speakers, it’s pretty close to the Dirt/Facelift era tone.