Does overdriven rhythm guitar tone get any better than this?

• Thread starter Christopher Har V
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Har V

Reaction score
If it does, I don't think I could handle that.

Just discovered this track from Jaded Heart and I have to share it somewhere! This subgenre may not be your thing (like a slightly more progressive Motley Crüe) but the tone is just undeniable imo. This band has very cool ways of transitioning from intro to verse, verse to chorus, etc. Can't vouch for their newer stuff tho. This album is from what seems to be their golden era (late 90s thru late 00's)

What gear do you guys think it sounds like he's using? Or any mixing tricks that helped make it so awesome? To my ears it sounds like it must be a Mesa Boogie amp.

Trying to learn more about this guitarist, Barish Kepic, but there is not much info.

Here's one for the "guitar tone doesn't matter" crowd to suck on. Also love that the guitars aren't turned down super quiet when the vox kick in, like they're often mixed nowadays.
The percussive riff in the verses is where the tone really shines:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gclef

Reaction score
That is a great hard rock/metal rhythm tone.

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
That track would sound better with a better bass tone.

I like the guitar tone, but the overall mix is kinda thin without the bass reinforcing it.

For my tastes anyway... YMMV.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
fwiw that sounds like standard produced hot rod marshall to me :2c:

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like Whitesnake's Slip of the tongue rhythm guitar tone much better than this (Vai's hard rock tone), and of course Metallica's 72 Seasons rhythm tone (Hetfield's Jose moded Marshall).

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
It's a good tone for the genre, but I've heard much better. I'd take the tone from the new Aborted, Job For a Cowboy, or Knocked Loose over this any day.

No way to say one particular tone is the best overdriven rhythm tone, as that is a hugely broad term.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Neil Young is my favorite od tone, I like the saggy blown out bassy sound of a pushed deluxe, I'm very tgp/boomer in that regard 😅

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Theres something to this specific example im not about, but general hot rod marshall is indeed one of if not the greatest high gain rhythm tones to exist :yesway:
I always loved hot-rodded Marshall tones but I've never had much luck with those style of amps to make them sound that good. I suppose the right boost is the key.

BUT, I freakin love my JVM. That one is easy mode. Just sounds good with no boost on any setting and only needs a little time on balancing the gain/volume across presets.

BabUShka

Reaction score
Crunchy and tasty sound. if I would guess, I would suggest something like a Dual Rectifier or something more modern.. Just something about the saturation and scooped sound.

Latest posts