Cantrell/Hetfield amp recommendation - modded Marshall tone

• Thread starter guitar123daniel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for recommendations for a new amp. Basically looking for a head that can do the modded JCM800/plexi thing - think Jerry Cantrell and later Wizard-era Hetfield.

I know Jerry used a Bogner modded JCM800, now uses Friedman, and Het used the Wizard Modern Classic but these are relatively unattainable. Any suggestions on where I should be looking to get tones like these?

Looking for a head with at least a 50w power section, a clean channel, and I want all the gain to come from the amp - I don't want to have to boost it with a pedal or have to get it modded. My budget is around £1500.

Thanks!

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
UK Located (guessing from the currency denomination, but I guess Egypt uses Pounds also)?

Jerry used Marshall, Bogner, and Friedman; used Marshall probably being the most budget friendly of those.

I don't recall exactly when Hetfield switched to Mesa Boogie, but he's been on the Mark series for several decades now. Older 2 channel Recs can get you pretty close for much less than a Mark series.

I don't know how popular they are where you live, but my Carvin X100B has an amazing clean channel and is a bit of a mix between a JCM and Mark series. Get a newer one if you can (EL34 or 6L6GC/5881 tube setting) because the global EQ is more Marshall-y. On the first edition (EL34 -or- 6L6GC) you have to turn all the EQ settings pretty low or the bass will turn everything to mud, the kids will get harsh, and the highs get shrill. It can be dialed out, but it's not Friedman "set everything to noon and it sounds good already, then adjust to taste for better" easy (although the newer models were).

The good: 25/50/100 watt power scaling, excellent on-board reverb, tons of crunch on tap, and a really amazing clean tone. These are cheap in the U.S., but geography will change the options you should be considering.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Also in regards to Cantrell; what era? He used different rigs for almost every album. :lol: Only two albums I can tell were single amps were Facelift (marshall), and Tripod (Bogner Fish). Everything else was a blend of shit.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Get an axe fx 3 or fm3. Those tones and more, plus the effects to do whatever you want. If anything, try the virtual amps like the friedman etc, then buy the real version of your preferred amp.

Descent

Reaction score
I think you can go Mesa Mini Recto or Mark V, one of the 25 watt versions.
If you want more Marshall treble, look up Victory Kraken.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
You're not gonna nail any of the tones, even with the actual gear. The AxeFx is probably best to try duplicating a tone because it's the entire record chain your hearing, long with the mix and mastering too. Axe is probably the way to go in this case.
- If you're ok with getting close to it then maybe lookk at preamps that are close to it.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
I freakin love my JJ Junior. It nails the modded Marshall tone and sounds great to me. Has a very robust low end while staying extra tight. No frills amp but I use a good amount of pedals.

viifox

Reaction score
Cantrell's tone never sounded like a Marshall to me. It always has that fat, wall of sound type tone that's very Uberschall/recto.

With your budget I recommend a used multi watt recto, or PRS Archon (or MT15).

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Cantrell's tone never sounded like a Marshall to me. It always has that fat, wall of sound type tone that's very Uberschall/recto.

Honestly you're kinda right. I did some reading about the Bogner Snorkler mod, and it's apparently mostly a preamp rebuild. So you won't get a stock marshall that'll sound like AiC.

Reaction score
Also in regards to Cantrell; what era? He used different rigs for almost every album. :lol: Only two albums I can tell were single amps were Facelift (marshall), and Tripod (Bogner Fish). Everything else was a blend of shit.
Facelift era yeah, I really like his modern live sound too though. Seen them in Leeds a few years back and fuck it sounded incredible! Think he was using Friedman at that point.

Reaction score

With your budget I recommend a used multi watt recto, or PRS Archon (or MT15).
Yeah very thick and layered. I know he used the Uberschall at one point. To my ears its sounds 'too metal' for his sound if you know what I mean, or maybe it's just the demos I've been watching on YouTube and then YouTube compression on top of that again. There are literally no guitar stores near where I live so I can't try anything out.

Reaction score
I freakin love my JJ Junior. It nails the modded Marshall tone and sounds great to me. Has a very robust low end while staying extra tight. No frills amp but I use a good amount of pedals.
How does the low end hold up at gigging volumes? The only thing stopping me pulling the trigger on a JJ Jr is the 20w power section and EL84s, I just can't get it out of my head that it won't flub out when it's pushed haha. I can't even try one out as there are no guitar stores where I live.

Reaction score
I think you can go Mesa Mini Recto or Mark V, one of the 25 watt versions.
If you want more Marshall treble, look up Victory Kraken.
I've been recommended the Kraken elsewhere too. Does it do the modded Marshall sound? I've always thought of it as a modern high gain/djent-y sort of amp.