Caparison TAT 7 special problems

ShiroNekoMusic

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I bought a used TAT special 7 from 2018 and I have some questions about it. The binding has some small lines, similar to pencil marks besides the frets... What is that? A messy binding?

The neck pickup also sounds a bit dull, kinda lacking hi-end, it may be the pickup natural sound or the angle because of the 27 frets? Maybe the pickup or the height of it may be wrong? Thank you all for your responses!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I bought a used TAT special 7 from 2018 and I have some questions about it. The binding has some small lines, similar to pencil marks besides the frets... What is that? A messy binding?

Hard to know what you're talking bout. Are they hairline cracks in the binding from the fretboard shrinking/frets sprouting? I've had that happen on every guitar i've ever owned with binding.

ShiroNekoMusic

Reaction score
Well, I really love the tight low end and the cleans of the pickups, I love the harmonics they pick and the overall tone. The bridge one is one of the best pups I've tried! But the neck sounds dull as hell, as if it was a middle pickup, it may be related to being way too close to the bridge, losing some good qualities of a regular neck pickup?

Here are the pics of the scratches:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-18-00-40-18-791_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-09-18-00-40-18-791_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot_2020-09-18-00-41-00-326_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-09-18-00-41-00-326_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 95

Viginez

Reaction score
could be tool marks from rounding the fret ends

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
That's not a particularly bright pickup, so likely it's just not your thing. You can try to brighten a bit with a height adjustment, but it may just not be voiced the way you like it. Same with the bridge really -- the peak on Capa pickups has always felt a little low (in Hz, on the curve). I have one with black winters and it's crazy what a difference it is vs the PH-R.

Edika

Reaction score
To me it looks line tool marks from rounding the fret edges. I'm guessing you're talking about the lines left and right of the frets right?

The pickup, yeah voicing plus location might would play a role. You can try a height adjustment but if you're not liking it you can replace it with something more to your taste and keep the bridge pickup.

ShiroNekoMusic

Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses! I love the guitar and I'll take it to a very well known luthier to fix whatever I dislike! I'll post the updates when the work starts!

ShiroNekoMusic

Reaction score
I've been playing with the height of the pup and the eq from the amp and the bass was way too much. The pickups sound very good after some tweaking, I reduced the height by a lot and the bass on my Savage and now it sings so good! Much better tone than before. Thank you all!

mastapimp

Reaction score
Those look like residual tool marks from working on the frets. The grooves probably pick up shadows and grime which makes them stand out. I can't recommend any action as i've never tried to correct that issue on any guitars, but ask your local tech/luthier for suggestions.

MSS

Reaction score
It looks to me like someone didn’t tape them off properly before rounding the edges.

Zhysick

Reaction score
full

You mean that marks? Because I am really trying to figure out what do you mean and if it is that then yes, those look like tool marks from finishing the fret ends... sure you can fix that by sanding/leveling but I would just clean it as I am very sure that, if you take out the gripe in them, you won't be able to notice them...

ShiroNekoMusic

Reaction score
Yeah I mean those. They are not that bad but they're way more visible IRL. I'm taking it to a luthier this Monday! Thank you all for helping me so much!

Zhysick

Reaction score
Yeah I mean those. They are not that bad but they're way more visible IRL. I'm taking it to a luthier this Monday! Thank you all for helping me so much!

You are being very picky :lol: I wound't even care for that... Pero fino fino fino, eh? Espero que te la dejen bien, esas guitarras son preciosas!

ShiroNekoMusic

Reaction score
Ofc I'm being picky! It's a 4k guitar!

Se la llevaré a uno de los mejores luthieres de Madrid, hay que ajustar la guitarra en general. Gracias!

Edika

Reaction score
But now comes the most important question, have you done a NGD thread for this guitar? If not can you share some photos of the guitar itself? :)

If yes can you share the link because I might have missed it! Like I need more things giving me GAS lol!

Xykhron

Reaction score
Agree, tool marks. Maybe the frets were levelled before you purchased it by a tech. I can't remember any kind of marks like those on any of my old Capas.