CAPZ FOR MY RIG

stevepalmer64

Reaction score
So I am currently running a 6505+ head (which sounds great on it's own) and a Pod HD Pro. The Pod seems to really lack a lot of low end, but maybe it's just the patches I'm using. I've heard some incredible tones from Axe FX, but is it really worth it? I've never used one personally so I wouldn't know how it would sound through my head, but for almost $3000.. does it live up to it's expectations. Also, I won't be running more than like 5 or 6 patches, so I'm not too worried about the thousands of things an Axe FX can do, just if it will get a better, more full and punchy sound compared to the Pod. Thank you :metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Laxdude67

Reaction score
dude, i was mulling over the same gear a few months back. I went with an axe ultra...HOLY $H*@ you will be BLOWN away. I sold it and got the Axe II within a week and a half. If you're used to tweaking and have experience with pre-amps and processors, it's a small learning curve and you'll be cranking out great patches! With that said, I recommend trying a standard or ultra before the Axe II as it's a decent chunk of change compared to the HD Pro IMO

Check out the gear FS threads on here and keep an eye out on ebay and CL/Gumtree. You should be able to score a standard or ultra for sub $1100/1300 respectively

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
If you're just going to use a few patches, then I'd say the Axe-fx would be overkill for you. Have you tried using the pod-hd with external cab sims??

ambler3

Reaction score
How do you use your gear? Are you using a 4CM to hook the amp and POD together?
Before deciding to get new gear, i'd say look to your patches as you mentioned, as that may solve it for you.

Kylezan

Reaction score
Ok well first off the short answer is, yes of course the axe fx will sound better than the pod, but it will cost you much more.

What exactly are you looking for from the unit?

Are you using the 6505 as a power head? I would recommend buying an actual power amp (carvin dcm1540l) and seeing how your pod sounds. The 6505 will still color the preamp somewhat.

I use a kemper for recording but the guitarist in my band use Pod HD Pros with matrix and carvin power amps. The right patch will NOT sound thin in the pod if you have a good cab and a good power amp. They actually sound very good, but it depends on what you are going for. We wanted very tight dry prog tones so we went with a preamp.

Also, from my experience with the pod, it takes a good bit of learning to start nailing patches.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Have you tried using the pre-amp only models on the Pod HD? That really seemed to add that low end punch that was missing when i was using the full amp models into a power amp. Really the difference was huge in a band setting. Just added tons of girth and let the tube power section do its thing.

davidgotmilk

Reaction score
Live or Studio rig? Of course i'd choose axe fx over pod hd anyday, but live it isn't that big of a deal (atleast for me) I run my pod hd pro, into a power amp, and then into a cab, and honestly thats good enough for me. Most of the time, the shows are so loud that people can't really hear the fine details between a pod hd and axe, personally I like running it through my cab so I can use it as a monitor when I back up. either way, if you have the money for an axe fx, go for it! You'll love it, but it wont be a big difference to the audience. Maybe to you though :)