Carpal tunnel - who has had the surgery

• Thread starter Mattmc74
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

slowro

Drunken Scot
Reaction score
Good luck with the recovery
I am getting a lot of pain and my middle finger goes numb on my right hand when I drive for any length of time :( I am getting worried

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
Good to hear surgery went well for ya man. I've had some pain in the base of my left thumb, and am scared to get it checked out in case they tell me to rest it for a couple months. What kind of timeline for laying off the guitar did they give you/how soon do you think you can play again?

I should be up and playing again in 2 weeks. I played a bit yesterday but I didn't push it at all! Simple finger exercises is all just to move the fingers a bit.

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
Good luck with the recovery
I am getting a lot of pain and my middle finger goes numb on my right hand when I drive for any length of time :( I am getting worried

Sounds like your getting it too. Best to get it checked out and fixed before you do too much damage to your hand!

slowro

Drunken Scot
Reaction score
Sounds like your getting it too. Best to get it checked out and fixed before you do too much damage to your hand!

It sucks I will put myself in a bad position for losing my job if I was to have surgery :ugh:

slowro

Drunken Scot
Reaction score
Not cool! Not cool at all! You don't have any kind of medical leave at all? If not the truly sucks!

Yes and no. They would use it as an excuse to get rid of me, I have had a lecture from the boss before "they don't do illness" I could write an essay with the junk like that from work I won't hijack your thread :lol:

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes and no. They would use it as an excuse to get rid of me, I have had a lecture from the boss before "they don't do illness" I could write an essay with the junk like that from work I won't hijack your thread :lol:

They don't do illness!!!! Man we need to put a hex on your boss and hope he gets really sick! That way his bosses will have to get rid of him! What a bunch of assholes! I'm glad the company I work for wants me to get fixed/better so I can go back to my job.

slowro

Drunken Scot
Reaction score
They don't do illness!!!! Man we need to put a hex on your boss and hope he gets really sick! That way his bosses will have to get rid of him! What a bunch of assholes! I'm glad the company I work for wants me to get fixed/better so I can go back to my job.

Haha bad karma his way! I am lucky I like my job and the team I work in AND my boss manages by email from miles away so I rarely have his company :lol:

Hope you have a speedy recovery. Update us on how your playing comes back :shred:

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
Haha bad karma his way! I am lucky I like my job and the team I work in AND my boss manages by email from miles away so I rarely have his company :lol:

Hope you have a speedy recovery. Update us on how your playing comes back :shred:

I will give an update on the playing as soon as I can. :shred:

mikemueller2112

Reaction score
I should be up and playing again in 2 weeks. I played a bit yesterday but I didn't push it at all! Simple finger exercises is all just to move the fingers a bit.

That's good to hear dude, sucks not playing for that time but it could be a lot worse.

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
Update - Everything seems to be healing up well. The incision area is a bit itchy so I guess that is healing well too. Still a bit of pressure and discomfort when I try to squeeze something with a bit of force, not over doing it just seeing how its going there.
Played a few basic scales, nothing fast, and all is well there.
I have another appointment with the doc on the 6th to see if my left hand is strong enough to have the right hand done.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Can you seriously even hold a guitar after having a freaking metal rod with a scalpel at its end shoved underneath your wrist's skin? :eek: That's definitely impressive.

Let's see how the other hand goes!

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
Can you seriously even hold a guitar after having a freaking metal rod with a scalpel at its end shoved underneath your wrist's skin? :eek: That's definitely impressive.

Let's see how the other hand goes!

:lol: I know crazy aint it! Its healing up great! I bet the right hand will be the same I figure, the surgeon that did has mad skills I guess.:yesway:

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty much have full use of my hand now. When playing guitar there is no discomfort at all but i'm still being a bit careful. Carried in grocery bags yesterday evening and had no problems there either. Don't think i'm quite ready to use hand held power tools yet because of the vibrations transmitted through them.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
The progress you're making is incredible, man! It's almost as if you hadn't the surgery haha. I still suggest, however, that you don't go around lifting bags and doing heavy words until you see your doctor next and let him assess the situation a bit better. You don't want to snap something in there just because you can lift things already! And definitely no power tools :lol:. Just a little piece of advice :)

EDIT: I just re-read this comment... What does "doing heavy words" even mean...? I guess it was "heavy work," but I can't be sure... Seems my brain is malfunctioning :rofl:

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
The progress you're making is incredible, man! It's almost as if you hadn't the surgery haha. I still suggest, however, that you don't go around lifting bags and doing heavy words until you see your doctor next and let him assess the situation a bit better. You don't want to snap something in there just because you can lift things already! And definitely no power tools :lol:. Just a little piece of advice :)

Thanks man! I will still be careful! Like you said - I dont want to snap anything in there and cause permanent damage!

I will be posting up progress and pics when I get the right hand done as well. I wanted to share my experiences with this type of surgery with my fellow guitarists so they could read this thread over in case they ever develop some of the symptoms that I did.
Any kind of surgery on your fingers/hands would worry or concern any guitarist I think!

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
I just went to my health insurance site to look at my account and I was a bit surprised!

The surgery for my left hand cost $3,670.02!!!! I'm sure it will be the same for the right hand!

I'm so thankful I have health insurance that will be covering most of this!

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
That would be a serious punch in the gut if you didn't have insurance. That seems relatively cheap though. According to Thomas Lang (yeah, again with him :lol:. He's the only reference I have on the issue) his surgery was about $30,000 (which is extremely outrageous, actually). Or maybe the interviewer made a mistake and typed one extra 0.