Carpal tunnel - who has had the surgery

• Thread starter Mattmc74
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Migdalski

Reaction score
^ again good luck, hopefully no issues and you are able to resume playing soon! I hate to see or hear about players having to go through anything like this, scary stuff. People who dont play will never understand the freedom of expression that guitarist or another musicians' have.....

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
^ again good luck, hopefully no issues and you are able to resume playing soon! I hate to see or hear about players having to go through anything like this, scary stuff. People who dont play will never understand the freedom of expression that guitarist or another musicians' have.....

:yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
Home from the hospital and all is good. There is less swelling of the fingers this time and the hand feels good so far.

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
Day 2 - All the swelling is gone and the wrist feels good. Still have to have it wrapped up for 24 more hours but thats no big deal. Tiny bit of pain when I move it but nothing that would require pain meds. Seems like this surgery is going to be just like the left hand!

I'm soooo glad I had it done!

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats, man! Glad to hear you went through it well! The surgeon who performed the surgeries must be a magician of some kind haha!

I'm guessing that after this is all done you'll feel like you've taken a massive load off your back; what with you being able to play painlessly again and everything! Must be awesome.

I'm glad both of you guys did great with your tests/surgeries/medical stuff! I've been having a rather unsettling pain on my right hand's right side today, but I attribute it to me having played a lot more than usual this past week (almost 3-4 hours non-stop :eek:, haven't done that in years). If it goes away then I'll let it pass, but if it keeps going like this for a couple more days then I'm definitely getting it checked.

Domkid118

Knives and Wolves
Reaction score
Best of luck with the surgery man, iv had similar problems, Dr's and Chiropractors put it down to my back problems, but seeing about Carpal tunnel i have a feeling it could be down to this, my hands fingers and constantly cold and stiff, i also get shooting pains down my forearms, Have you had symtoms like this? arthritis runs im my family but i am only 19 so im hoping it is not that yet :/

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
Best of luck with the surgery man, iv had similar problems, Dr's and Chiropractors put it down to my back problems, but seeing about Carpal tunnel i have a feeling it could be down to this, my hands fingers and constantly cold and stiff, i also get shooting pains down my forearms, Have you had symtoms like this? arthritis runs im my family but i am only 19 so im hoping it is not that yet :/

Yes I have had those symptoms as well. You should go get it checked out!

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
Well here are the pics I said I would post of the right hand after surgery.
Feels good to get the itchy wraps off of it and let some air get to it! Have a bit of pain in it if I move it too much but just like the left hand i'm going to be taking it easy on it for a while.

Right hand wrapped.jpg

Right hand unwrapped 48 hours after surgery.jpg

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
Today the hand feels good. I can grab onto and hold small light things, can even use it when I was driving my Jeep earlier today. Still feels a bit tender but i'm being careful not to over do it. Incision is a bit red but not puffy or infected looking at all, seems like the swelling went down faster on this hand than the other one. The left incision is great but it is "bumped up" more than the right wrist as of right now. But all in all both hands are doing very good.

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
Can pretty much use my hand now without any pain, have not tried to squeeze anything hard yet but I bet if I did there would be a bit of pain. Going to the doc tomorrow to get the check up. I will let you all know how it goes.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Good, man! Although it sounds that your right hand has taken a little bit longer to heal than the left, am I correct? I'm also going to go ahead and guess that your left one (the one you had the surgery on first... I don't remember well anymore :lol:) is fully healed already and you're using it normally, yeah?

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah your correct I hand the left one done first and then the right, and it is taking longer for the right one to heal up. I bet its just because i'm right handed and I use it more. But I get to go to the doctors tomorrow and have it checked out to see I will be able to go back to work or not. I'm supposed to go back on 4/2/12.

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
Well the appointment with the doctor went good, he said both of my hands were healed up enough to go back to work on Monday with no restrictions. I'm still going to try and be nice to them as much as I can and not try to over due it and re-injure them.
But al in all i'm glad I had it done! No more numbness and tingling in my palms and fingers and no more discomfort playing the guitar.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
So you're back to playing the guitar again without any pain? If that's the case, then main goal = achieved :). I'm glad everything went as planned, man! Now all that is left to do is cherish what you have while you have it!

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
So you're back to playing the guitar again without any pain? If that's the case, then main goal = achieved :). I'm glad everything went as planned, man! Now all that is left to do is cherish what you have while you have it!

Yup no pain at all and back to playing again.:shred:

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
Update - Both hands are completely healed with no pain at all and I can play guitar better than I have been able to in years! I'm so happy I got this done! If any of you are having problems with carpal tunnel I highly recommend the endoscopic carpal tunnel surgery!

Thanks again to everyone that read this thread and for all of your support and well wishes when I was going through this!

slowro

Drunken Scot
Reaction score
Excellent news mate!

Good on for having the balls to tackle it and to make it beter. Its a bloody scary thought \m/