Carvin dc7x vs. RGD2127FX

• Thread starter focusbob
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

focusbob

Reaction score
Heyo! I'm considering a new 7 in the 1-1.5k ish price range. I'm going primarily between the Carvin dc7x and the Ibanez prestige RGD2127FX.

I have an old rg770 and I really like the neck on it which is the primary draw for me towards the RGD; the Carvin necks aren't bad either, but I like wizards better. On the other hand, I like the Carvin body wood options over the ibby.

Was just wondering what folks' opinions are between these models, looking for some rationale to tip me one way or the other potentially. I'm not terribly concerned about looks, just tone and playability.

(Just as an aside: I'm not interested in schecter (have one already) or ESP (don't like the necks))

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

straightshreddd

Dat Dood
Reaction score
If you're more comfortable with Ibanez playability and like them better, go for the Ibby. However, the Carvin can offer more options that the RGD cannot at a much lower price. I'm sure RGD Prestiges are great quality, but Carvin puts out amazing quality as well. Plus, it will be unique, as you chose the specs.

Keep in mind that basswood is very soft and Ibanez guitars with basswood bodies are very prone to chips and dings. Also, as far as I know, all Ibanez guitars have nickel-silver frets, which over time will start to wear.

So, if you really dig the Ibby, I'd say go for it. But, I'd personally go for the Carvin because better specs/more options, cheaper price if you keep it relatively barebones, and overall better value and bang for your buck.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

kevdes93

Sassy
Reaction score
I say carvin. You get the options and MIA quality for less, depending on how you spec it. ive played an RGD fixed and while it.played great And certainly was quality, im not sure if id pay 1500 for a matte black basswood guitar. My opinion of course.

I believe you can also get different neck profiles on carvins Too, i think you just have to Call and specify

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
If you don't like the Invisible Shadow paint of the Ibanez you could always get the Chameleon finish for the same price. If I had the money I would seriously consider a Carvin, but you will have to wait to get it. The Ibanez you could purchase any time. I priced out a Carvin dc7x and for all the features I wanted it was like $1,800.

I'm still super happy with my RGD2127FX. It's a great guitar either way.

enghell

Funeral Doom
Reaction score
While I actually haven't played or even seen a Carvin IRL (I don't even think we have a proper dealer for them here, but it would be nice to try one though) I can only speak for the RGD2127FX, which I own myself. When it comes to playability and build quality, it's hard to imagine that a Carvin can be better (even if I'm sure that they are really nice guitars), since in my opinion, everything is top notch on the RGD, except for one thing, the pickups. In my case I immediately swapped the stock pickups for a set of BKP ceramic Warpigs which of course is another cost to take into consideration (for any pickup brand or model) but it makes this amazing guitar to show its fullest potential as an ultimate metal machine. In my opinion, the RGD slays everything I've ever tried.

You might have more options with the Carvin though, since I understand that you can customize it, which of course is great and that might be better for you. When it comes to looks, which is pure personal preference (such as tone, neck shapes and many other things too I guess), I'd say that the RGD easily wins there too, with it's very sleek matte black body (pure guitar pr0n) since most Carvins I've seen online, does not look very appealing to me. :lol:

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Don't carvins have fairly thick necks? I remember playing my friends DC727 felt kind of awkward for me. The fretwork was impeccable, but the neck felt awkward to me.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
dc700's have a thin ibanez-like neck. I say carvin alllllllllll the way. no questions asked, carvins are my go to guitars for the 1000-1500 ish category. I like ibanez alot, but unless your an ibanez die hard who doesnt feel right playing any guitar that isnt an ibanez, then definitely take up the dc700.

boltzthrower

Reaction score
Having owned a Carvin 7 string and the RGD2127z I say Carvin all the way. The Ibby is cool but Carvin build quality crushes Ibanez, Ibby's seem cheap in comparison. The Carvin necks are fatter than any wizard neck but they are shaped well and are really comfortable for a good balance between chordability and shredliness. I haven't played one of these new 27" Carvins though.

focusbob

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments! The more I think about it, and from your feedback, I'm leaning towards the carvin. Luckily, I have a friend with a dc so I can see how I'd feel about the neck. If I'm ok with the neck, I'm sold!

My bigger question at this point being: why was this moved to the "Beginners" section? Weird (and seemingly random).

teamSKDM

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments! The more I think about it, and from your feedback, I'm leaning towards the carvin. Luckily, I have a friend with a dc so I can see how I'd feel about the neck. If I'm ok with the neck, I'm sold!

My bigger question at this point being: why was this moved to the "Beginners" section? Weird (and seemingly random).

well a dc727 and 700 dont have the same neck, so if he has a 727 and youre looking into say a 700 it wouldnt exactly be helpful, however it would let you ee how amazing of quality they are!

focusbob

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification JazzHands

teamSKDM: thanks, that's good to know! What about between the dc7x and the dc727; do they have the same neck (or same neck profile, more likely)? He has a dc727 and I'm looking to get a dc7x.

Carvinkook

Reaction score
uuummm... I dont think I CAN GIVE A TRULY UNBIASED OPINION! LOL

Carvin has a return policy of 10 days.. order one.. if you dont like it, send it back.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
I really like the Carvin necks; they're not as thin as Ibanez or Music Man but they feel really good. And yes, unless you get your DC7/x/00/27/47 bare bones, you're gonna be spending around $1500 - you'd be surprised how quickly all those options add up - I just ordered my DC7X a couple weeks ago and it came out to somewhere near $2300... I did get the Floyd and asked them to hand select a AAAAA quilt maple top for the DTS finish, custom wiring scheme, abalone everywhere, etc. but still... Even a barebones Carvin is better than 99% of guitars out there and at least as good as the top 1% of boutique/custom guitars.

I don't think you'll have any complaints with the neck.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
Might have to call to find out for sure; I doubt you'll find too many people that have or have played both. TeamSKDM says the 700 & 727 are different; I don't know. I think my DC800 and 747 are similar if not exactly the same (relatively, of course, given their differing widths).

Aparently the Jason Becker neck profile is somewhat thinner than standard - ask about that when you call. I don't know if they can do that on a 7 though. Put an ad up on your local CL - I bet you'll be able to find someone who can let you play one. Carvin owners are a generally kind and helpful group; especially if it means converting one more into our ranks :)

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I'd go with the Carvin for sure! I'm actually saving for a DC7X right now haha

I've got a TL60 and the build quality is a good bit higher than any guitar in the price range. The only production guitars I've tried that matched my Carvin in that regard have been higher end EBMM's, but at that price point, why not go with exactly what you want with all of Carvin's options? :2c: Stainless frets are an amazing value on Carvins (and the EBMM's) and really made me notice the wear and how much less smooth the nickel frets on my other guitars are. As stated before, a bare-bones Carvin will beat pretty much any production model in its price range :yesway:

mbardu

Reaction score
well a dc727 and 700 dont have the same neck, so if he has a 727 and youre looking into say a 700 it wouldnt exactly be helpful, however it would let you ee how amazing of quality they are!

Actually they're supposed to have the same neck profile.
Same for the CT7, too, even if it's a set neck.

Only thing I could think of for a seven is that Carvin has been known exceptionally to accept custom orders for particular neck specs (if asked nicely..and they're not too busy, and you pay an upcharge). So if that was really your thing, you could even send them measurements or scans of a wizard.

Or...you know...buying the Ibanez :-D
I'm a bit kidding though - the Ibanez will be nowhere near the Carvin in terms of woods quality, finish and craftsmanship (I'd personally have a really hard time paying north of 1k for that Iba :S).

So I'd agree with the suggestion above. Order one to try it - and if it doesn't suit you perfectly, just send it back for a full refund.

Andrenighthound

Reaction score
I just wish the carvin 7 string guitars came with a bolt on neck option. That's the only thing that is holding me back from ordering a carvin. I have a 2127fx in chameleon that I really love including the stock pickups. I'm not playing metal though, I'm playing funk and hard rock blues tones.