Castollyons Prototype SC

• Thread starter feedoscillate
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feedoscillate

Reaction score
I've been hobbying at guitar builds for my personal use for years...my buddy convinced me to build one for him. Here's some pics

Castollyons SC Prototype - a set on Flickr

This one links to build process photos

SC build process - a set on Flickr

Specs - 24.75" scale length, 12" radius, 24 fret
chambered mahogany body and neck, walnut top and headstock veneer, ebony FB, maple binding, bloodwood side markers
Stylized "SC" inlay @12th fret
Bareknuckles Abraxas set, push/pull coil tap on neck PU
Wilkinson trem
Sperzel tuners
Deer "shed" antler nut
Assymetric shallow "D" profile neck, LMII dual action truss
Carved super access heel (can only see it in build photos, gotta have my pal take some pics of the back too)

I think that's everything, let me know what you think...turned out great IMO, best guitar I've ever built. The action was 1.5/64th" @ 12th fret across the board with zero buzz...we ended up raising the action, it felt just too low and soft. I didn't really know anything about Bareknuckles until my buddy suggested them...they are fucking fantastic sounding. Something about the chambering and wood combination makes it really resonant too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SLAGTRON

Reaction score
As the owner of the guitar, I have to say that is an amazing instrument! It is light and resonant, the kind of guitar that's loud unplugged. The BK pickups do a nice job of keeping the tone smooth and even but with a focused attack and thick low end. This guitar has been an absolute pleasure to play. The fretwork and neck is superb with very little buzz even with the action set very low. All in all, I'm a very happy customer and will be working with Castollyons again on more custom guitars in the future.

feedoscillate

Reaction score
I posted this elsewhere and couldn't figure how to move it...didn't see the lutiery thread. Anyways, here's the deal.

I've been hobbying at guitar builds for my personal use for years...my buddy convinced me to build one for him. Here's some pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/castollyons/sets/72157632335218744/

This one links to build process photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/castollyons/sets/72157632331374479/

Specs - 24.75" scale length, 12" radius, 24 fret
chambered mahogany body and neck, walnut top and headstock veneer, ebony FB, maple binding, bloodwood side markers
Stylized "SC" inlay @12th fret
Bareknuckles Abraxas set, push/pull coil tap's for both PU's
Wilkinson trem
Sperzel tuners
Deer "shed" antler nut
Assymetric shallow "D" profile neck, LMII dual action truss
Carved super access heel (can only see it in build photos, gotta have my pal take some pics of the back too)

I think that's everything, let me know what you think...turned out great IMO, best guitar I've ever built. The action was 1.5/64th" @ 12th fret across the board with zero buzz...we ended up raising the action, it felt just too low and soft. I didn't really know anything about Bareknuckles until my buddy suggested them...they are fucking fantastic sounding. Something about the chambering and wood combination makes it really resonant too.

The action was 1.5/64th" @ 12th fret across the board with zero buzz... .

Gotta revise my wording there a bit, it should be "minimal buzz and zero deadspots"...in my years setting up guitars, the universal properties of physics usually get in the way of absolutely zero buzz with extreme low action, the string is still gonna parabollically vibrate regardless of how close you can get it to the frets...although in this case there was definitely note clarity across the board, the action was just kinda rediculous low.