Celestion G12H-75 Creamback vs Vintage 30

• Thread starter icipher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

icipher

Reaction score
I am considering a new 2x12 for my KSR Orthos II. I play in a live metal band, tuned down to C and A#.

I've always been a big vintage 30 guy. I love the cut and texture of the mids and highs. The aggression has always helped in a band situation I've thought.

I am interested in trying something new, and have heard good things about the G12H-75 Creamback. I am curious to know if anyone here has any experience with them and thinks they would be midrangey and sharp enough to work well in a live situation with two distorted guitars. I am apprehensive about any speaker that would sound muffled or "blanketed" at all.

Any advice? Should I just stick to the vintage 30?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Phantom

Reaction score
Those KSR amps are awesome, I really want one. How much did you pay for yours?

Here is a video where Fluff plays both the 65 and 75, maybe it could help.
https://youtu.be/3DaxjqDBzUc?list=PL039E261E5D4370D9

Here is an faq that he did where he talks about the V30 vs the Creamback (about 3:04)
https://youtu.be/EYEs6-7DZU8?list=PL3gffKm0tqiI8gK3mU2jUIifeWYKMRXFf

I was pretty sure there is another video where he talks more on the subject of the two speakers but I couldn't find it.

Either way, I have been playing the V30 for more than a decade and I really love that speaker, but I recently have been using the K100. I built myself a 1x12 and 2x12, both loaded with K100's and they sound killer with my Mark V. I have been wanting to try mixing the two speakers, which leads me to my next question... Why not both? Do a V30 and G12H mix. If you don't like the mix, sell the one you don't like and by the other.

icipher

Reaction score
Those KSR amps are awesome, I really want one. How much did you pay for yours?

Here is a video where Fluff plays both the 65 and 75, maybe it could help.
https://youtu.be/3DaxjqDBzUc?list=PL039E261E5D4370D9

Here is an faq that he did where he talks about the V30 vs the Creamback (about 3:04)
https://youtu.be/EYEs6-7DZU8?list=PL3gffKm0tqiI8gK3mU2jUIifeWYKMRXFf

I was pretty sure there is another video where he talks more on the subject of the two speakers but I couldn't find it.

Either way, I have been playing the V30 for more than a decade and I really love that speaker, but I recently have been using the K100. I built myself a 1x12 and 2x12, both loaded with K100's and they sound killer with my Mark V. I have been wanting to try mixing the two speakers, which leads me to my next question... Why not both? Do a V30 and G12H mix. If you don't like the mix, sell the one you don't like and by the other.

Thanks man! I am tempted to try the creambacks as I already have Vintage 30 cabs.

As for the Orthos, I believe I paid $2,200 or so.

Nitrobattery

Reaction score
I'm interested to hear what you think if you grab them. I've been a V30 guy for 15 or 16 years, but lately have been on a huge Greenback kick, and every time I plug back into my V30 loaded Mesa 4x12 I find myself immediately plugging the Greenback cab back in. The 75 watt Creamback seems like the perfect marriage of the two. The bottom end tightness and top end sparkle of a V30, with the mids and smoothness of a Greenback.

icipher

Reaction score
No problem man

That's awesome. I've got serious GAS for one of the KSR's. Even more so with all the options available.

I second this. Get'em and do a comparison and blend video or sound clip!

The Orthos is awesome. Best high gain channel I've owned, and I've owned a LOT of nice amps. At this price point, I'd happily pay more for the KSR over a 5153 etc.

protest

Reaction score
I'll let you know when I get my cab and Colossus back from Kyle. Just an FYI Kyle describes the A-Type and V-Type mix as sounding somewhat similar to a Mesa V30, so you might like that combo.

katsumura78

Reaction score
I have a Port City 2x12 with both speakers and it sounds killer with my Orthos. You can't go wrong.

Latest posts