Chapman is partial owner of Guitarmory/Cerberus guitars now

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
A small US chain became the primary dealer for Chapman guitars in the States and then spent a ton of money sending Chapman artists around in a bus doing clinics as part of brand promotions. When the big box stores approached Rob to stock Chapman instruments, he took them up in a heartbeat. The small chain could not compete with the big chains and went out of business. I suppose they were hoping to recoup enough money as the exclusive dealer that they didn't think about the future. Rob showed them no loyalty, but it didn't look like they had a contract to hold him to either. Money talks.

That's nasty.

The only thing I had against that guy was wasting Rabea's talent on Dorje :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
A small US chain became the primary dealer for Chapman guitars in the States and then spent a ton of money sending Chapman artists around in a bus doing clinics as part of brand promotions. When the big box stores approached Rob to stock Chapman instruments, he took them up in a heartbeat. The small chain could not compete with the big chains and went out of business. I suppose they were hoping to recoup enough money as the exclusive dealer that they didn't think about the future. Rob showed them no loyalty, but it didn't look like they had a contract to hold him to either. Money talks.

This exactly. And that’s why you should avoid handshake deals like the plague. In business, loyalty is only as good as the potential profit margins. I feel like Chapman should have settled with the small dealer. It would have been fair, but I don’t think there was anything binding to make that happen. Maybe intentionally. I can almost guarantee that big box was the goal to begin with. Even with big box getting involved, we’re it me, I’d have a contract drawn up with the big box retailer than they at least compensate the indie retailer in part for their efforts in getting brand awareness going in the US. But I like fair, and I’d lose sleep over it.

Last edited:

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
I had to wait 2 years for my Guitarmory pickups so I`m out. With import and everything it turned out hella spensive, tried to sell them at a loss (later at a big loss) but nobody even bothered so I got a set of Ares pickups (or at least I thought it was an Ares set) sitting is some drawer collecting dust :lol:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Wow, that's shitty. It just shows his character, I guess. A deal is a deal, whether it's legally binding or not. If I were someone like Guitarmory I'd make damn sure the contracts are water tight, because obviously he can't be taken at his word or ethics.

Who was the small chain, btw?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Also after that, Chapman went from a company selling stripped down guitars at a reasonable price to just another generic Schecter/LTD/Ibanez/etc. I really dug the more workingman's guitar aesthetic they had before they "sold out". :lol:

MrWulf

Reaction score
I like Chapman in general when they started, since they had fans vote on the guitar specs etc etc, just dislike the infinity symbol in the 12th frets. Then I just found them to be just another one on the rack.

Zado

Reaction score
I mentioned it elsewhere, but my bet is Schecter as well or EBMM. I was more sure it would be Schecter initially, but I'm about 60/40 now on those two being Rabea's new home.
He'd be the kind of artist Schecter is focusing on atm, but the brand just got deals with Aaron Marshall and Browne, and that's way more than what they did in the past already, so I wouldn't be too sure bout that. I personally don't really care as I don't know who these guys are, but Schecter usually goes with really heavy feet into endorsements, so that's my idea.

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
Might be really outside, but can anyone see Ibanez reaching out to Bea?

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Schecter be ballin'. (Perhaps.)

Though, I'd also guess that he may end up with EBMM. I'd say 65/35 Schecter/EBMM.

Ibanez is in the wildcard slot.

I could see it happening. An AZ tele sig like the new Tom Quayle would be cool. Or a baritone version similar to his old Chapman sig.

So regardless of all our speculation, watch him wind up with Kiesel or ESP.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

I have never seen him playing one, but then again I could say the same thing about pretty much everyone when they switch endorsement deals.

AZ line is very popular among "hip" guitar players, so I could definetely see an AZ tele happening.

I mean if you're in the market for a Chapman, I'll quote ancient SSO wisdom:
"Just get a used prestige, man"
You know, that saying was made popular because of the old RG7620s and RG1527s being workhorse guitars readily available and not much better alternatives could be found for a 7-string at that price. But nowadays 6-string Prestiges are dirt cheap used (at least locally). So much value compared to something like Chapman, Solar, etc.

So I'd say it's now more true than ever. Shame I don't get along with Ibanez necks.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Maybe he won't even be signed to any brand? Dude seems to make enough money with his current ventures and probably wouldn't mind the freedom of playing whatever he wants since the dude plays literally everything. Unless someone is nice enough to offer him a non exclusivity deal.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
What about Mayones? They have some empty slots, losing Aaron Marshall and Browne (ouch), and Bea loves his Mayones guitars.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
I know that Guitarmory was a flash-in-the-pan business endeavor that was on its way out the door after the numerous issues over the years that the circle-jerkers in the Guitarmory Facebook group continually turn a blind eye to, while they act as if hyping this tiny, relatively unknown pickup maker will somehow grant them social media brownie points.

And I know that Cerberus was a good idea for the ERG market a few years ago, but they just never really took off or got attention with their runs. Not sure what this comes down to. Lack of business tact? Lack of social media tact? An overly saturated guitar market?

Getting bought-out by Chapman (even partially) is just going to be the nail in the coffin for both brands now given Chapman's reputation.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
It's absolutely insane to see something I now work on being talked about on one of the forums I grew up on essentially. Most people here in this thread probably don't know me but I recognize most of your usernames because you guys have helped me over the years whether as direct replies to my threads or informative replies to other people's threads that I searched out to solve my own problems or questions.

I also wanna state that I respect everyone's opinions they've had about Guitarmory whether it be designs (were the bevels really that bad? genuine question 😂), customer service, or partnership choices. Nothing is perfect and a lot has changed over time. There's been high points and low points and sometimes those have happened simultaneously for different customers. It's not the same company that was in existence before I joined and not even the same company that it was right after I joined even. The company's compass definitely points to getting people something of quality rather than lining our own pockets at the expense of fellow players.

Overall the rise in popularity has been really weird for me honestly. I mean, it's to be expected if we continue to do things right and attempt to grow but idk, it's hard to put into words. I'm sure anyone else who works for a business in the industry had to feel the same way at some point. I never thought I would be involved in something like this though for what was just a hobby when I started playing 17 years ago.

Yeah, GOC sold guitars that were supposed to have Guitarmory pickups in them. But they couldn't keep up with the timeline, so Adam (Elysian) pitched in to help out. Adam was never part of Guitarmory, though. (As an interesting aside, I had pickups designed by the guy that formed Guitarmory way back when, and he kept making errors in the angle and pole spacing of the pickups. Eventually, the current owner took over, and made a nice set for me.)

And yes, Ceberus is the guitar side of Guitarmory, and they made those Explorer type guitars. (As well as a super Strat style.)

What I'm curious about is what advantage it gives either Chapman or Guitarmory to do this. If Guitarmory is doing well, do they need extra exposure to increase sales that Chapman can give them? Or is he giving them a cash infusion to expand? I get wanting to have an endorser for exposure, but ceding part of your company is taking money/stock out of your own pocket, and exchanging it for a marriage. I hope these guys really like each other as partners.

Overall, we're doing well and I believe we will continue to with this partnership. Gotta say not all of the statement above is true though. Things are good between all of those involved as of right now though. It was just the one winder during that time period for a long while and he was part of our business chat. Love Adam and am still friends with him.

I know that Guitarmory was a flash-in-the-pan business endeavor that was on its way out the door after the numerous issues over the years that the circle-jerkers in the Guitarmory Facebook group continually turn a blind eye to, while they act as if hyping this tiny, relatively unknown pickup maker will somehow grant them social media brownie points.

And I know that Cerberus was a good idea for the ERG market a few years ago, but they just never really took off or got attention with their runs. Not sure what this comes down to. Lack of business tact? Lack of social media tact? An overly saturated guitar market?

Getting bought-out by Chapman (even partially) is just going to be the nail in the coffin for both brands now given Chapman's reputation.

I wasn't aware we were ever on the way out but that may have been before my time. There are times when a business isn't in the spotlight or constantly gaining a lot of ground but I've not seen steady declines on any front while I've been able to see things from the inside. Just normal business tides.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
He'd be the kind of artist Schecter is focusing on atm, but the brand just got deals with Aaron Marshall and Browne, and that's way more than what they did in the past already, so I wouldn't be too sure bout that. I personally don't really care as I don't know who these guys are, but Schecter usually goes with really heavy feet into endorsements, so that's my idea.
I'm anxiously awaiting the John Browne sig from Schecter. After they nailed the aesthetics with the KM-7 MK-III for Keith with a very Mayones looking concept, I'm hoping we'll see more of that shape going forward and less of the baseball bat -esque necks. Even the swamp ash Apocalypse C-7 was a bit too thick imo. I feel like they went a bit overboard personally when they made the KM-7 MK-2 as thin as it is (yet I still own them) but the MK-3 hits that sweet spot that is just amazing. Meanwhile, I tried Mayones at NAMM for the first time and was shocked at how thick the necks were honestly. I've not had lust over one since then. 😕

Ideally, I'm hoping John asks for those aesthetics and not the thick neck. Someone feel free to correct me if I just happened to only try ones at NAMM that were thick but I've not seen slim necks from Mayones, right?