Check out this acoustic 7 on Reverb

• Thread starter MIL8
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
kind of a strange shape, but im guessing it needs to be that way to support the stress of an extra string.

MIL8

Reaction score
It probably looks that way because the neck joint is at the 12th fret, which is how the first Dreadnoughts were done. Makes upper fret access difficult but adds to the sound.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Right now, there's a whole bunch of "Doff" Russian 7-strings on Reverb. Most are Nylon (as expected), but some are also steel-string. As for "weird shape", there's a jumbo with a shape I've never seen before:
ljvoleq8ewpbvmxxfxmz.jpg

MIL8

Reaction score
That is certainly odd. Wonder how it sounds?

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That is certainly odd. Wonder how it sounds?
I've done some digging. It's supposed to be better sounding with the lower notes in the "Russian Tuning" (hence it being a "jumbo"). Digging into the repertoire, I see that the low D2 is sometimes dropped to C2. Also, it seems that that shape is semi-traditional. It would be at the top of my "Next Acoustic" list, but I'd rather it be a nylon stringed guitar.

As an interesting aside, it's "proper technique" to play with the thumb fretting the 7th string. It's amusing to watch "Classically Trained" guitarists play by switching between thumb-over and thumb-behind playing. In all the videos I've seen, they telegraph the switch to thumb-over. It's like it takes some serious mental preparation to "do things the wrong way"

Last edited: