Chelsea Grin Megathread

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Digging this new album quite a lot. Though, I have to say that it's a bit too long. I feel like with 2 or 3 songs less the album would be stronger.

@Santuzzo: Yes, they play in drop G.

Thanks! :yesway:

I like that album a lot, too, and I actually also like that it's got so many songs, I don't mind the length of the album at all.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
The only song I don't love, is "Cheers To Us". I like parts of that song, but meh...

Can't wait to see them with Suicide Silence and The Black Dahlia Murder.

Petef2007

Reaction score
After spending a lot more time listening to the record and it slowly growing on me, heres my thoughts.

Firstly, although the vocals themselves have grown on me, I still find the lyrics horribly juvenile in places. Its especially apparent on songs like Dust To Dust and Cheers To Us, the latter of which I think is the worst song on the album and probably didn't need to be there.

Guitar wise, I like it a lot. Everything is clear, focused, precise. Jasons playing gets a bit "look what I can do, look at all these notes I can shred" sometimes but hell...its Jason Richardson. Thats what he does, although sometimes it would be nice to hear him play something a bit slower and with some interesting phrasing instead of 10,000 miles per hour all the time (as impressive as that is). 3 guitarists has definitely made things good and heavy. I do think it has the same problem that other deathcore albums have, which is that on the first few listens its hard to distinguish individual songs from the sea of chugging, but after a while you start to be able to tell them apart.

The programming is pretty nifty also, gives a nice extra feel to songs like "Letters", and ESPECIALLY "Nightmares". I love the little tape click at the end of Nightmares, almost like some kind of creepy therapy tape.

The 2 part title track confused me, mainly because I don't think it really needed to be 2 parts. I think they could have padded part 2 out into a full song and had part 1 be the outro of the song. As it is, the title track is one part programming, one part Jason shred.

For favourite songs, i'd have to go with "Nightmares", "Letters", "Clockwork", "Undying" and "Dust To Dust". I think those 5 have the most atmosphere and the most interesting stuff on the record, and if CG released an album with a bunch of songs like that, I think it would be amazing.

NOW - my opinion on the Born of Osiris vs Chelsea Grin by way of Jason situation is - while I think "Tomorrow We Die Alive" was the better structured record, I think the 5 songs I mentioned above are better than anything on TWDA. Some of the stuff on Ashes sounds like it could have been Discovery era BOO. But I think overall the 2 records are different enough that the comparisons end there - one goes for spacey atmospheres with heaviness to taste, one goes for heaviness with spacey atmospheres to taste.

I'd probably give Ashes to Ashes an 8/10, I think a couple songs could be dropped or combined and maybe make it a 12/13 song album instead of 15, but I think CG did well with this one.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
New video for "Playing With Fire", one of my absolute favorites.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Well, I know I definitely saw an Axe-FX or 2 in their studio clips on Instagram.

Regardless, the tones are crushing. Love that they're real drums too.

Petef2007

Reaction score
I think one of the guitarists here said at one point that he and the second guitarist were using Axe Fxs driven by the power amp of a 5150, and Jason was using an Axe FX driven by the power amp of an Engl (can't remember which though).

Petef2007

Reaction score
I'm actually impressed at how tight they have the guitars give that they're playing 25.5s in drop G. The chugs are super tight and well defined.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Video playing the guitar solos from Undying if anyone's interested. The second solo is ridiculous. How Jason writes this stuff?

Necropitated

Reaction score
I covered the short middle solo of "Dust to Dust...". Thought I share it here, even though it's been a while someone posted something in this thread. My tab is also in the description of the video. The only thing that's different is the position of the dominant chord. Jason starts it on the low E and without that one three note pattern.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Holy balls that was some sweet playing!

After I saw that video I youtube'd up some of Jason's solos and I'm mind blown right now. Didn't know of the guy before now I'm just listening to everything... Already planning on learning Follow the Signs... Love what he's doing on that, just reminds me a little of what Alexi Laiho might sound like if went more tech death. What are your favorite solos?