Chernobyl on HBO

• Thread starter vick1000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
Anything about Chernobyl interests me, I don't have access to HBO, is this a fictionalized mini series or is it a documentary?

Sorry, let me google that for me.

Cheers.

vick1000

Reaction score
Fictional based on testimony and such.

Check out the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. video games, specifically Shadow of Chernobyl or Lost Alpha (both PC only).

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Fucking incredible so far. Very authentic worldbuilding, great acting too. The sense of dread throughout is excellently done. I look forward to the final 2 episodes.
Seeing it dramatised really puts the scale of the event and what these people went through into perspective

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
This should scare the hell out of any ignorant Nuclear advocates, but it won't.
If you think 31 deaths as the worst disaster ever, plus some catastrophically bad handling of the aftermath is an argument against nuclear power, then I've got some news for you. Chernobyl couldn't have gone worse and nuclear power is still the safest power source available.

When I saw this show advertised this is exactly the response I was expecting.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
If you think 31 deaths as the worst disaster ever, plus some catastrophically bad handling of the aftermath is an argument against nuclear power, then I've got some news for you. Chernobyl couldn't have gone worse and nuclear power is still the safest power source available.

Well... I don't disagree with your conclusion, but it could have and almost did go worse...

diagrammatiks

Reaction score

Seriously. It could have been 1000 times worse and still not worse then the
impact of the other power methods.

vick1000

Reaction score
Just as I said, ignorant masses revealed.

The impact of just this one incident, not to mention Fukushima, will be felt for many generations in the form of birth defects and cancers. The entire nothern hemisphere is effected, and if you believe the government run media around the world, that nuclear is safe, I pity your ignorance. Even if it were completely free of disasterous events like Chernobyl and Fukushima, some of the waste materials generated are the most toxic substances on earth, and remain so for thousands of years, buried or not.

The belief that nuclear is the safest and cleanest, is the same ignorance as man made climate change is supported by "consesus". Do some research outside or your comfortable "media" bubbles, that do nothing but reinforce the same nonsense from bad science. He who controls energy, controls the world.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Just as I said, ignorant masses revealed.

The impact of just this one incident, not to mention Fukushima, will be felt for many generations in the form of birth defects and cancers. The entire nothern hemisphere is effected, and if you believe the government run media around the world, that nuclear is safe, I pity your ignorance. Even if it were completely free of disasterous events like Chernobyl and Fukushima, some of the waste materials generated are the most toxic substances on earth, and remain so for thousands of years, buried or not.

The belief that nuclear is the safest and cleanest, is the same ignorance as man made climate change is supported by "consesus". Do some research outside or your comfortable "media" bubbles, that do nothing but reinforce the same nonsense from bad science. He who controls energy, controls the world.
And there I was thinking I had a discussion on my hands.

Yeah, no.

If you want to talk about radiation, cancer and birth defects, first citation needed, second coal gas and oil produce more radiation than nuclear. Fukushima, for what it's worth, was handled far better just by telling people to shutter their windows and not drinking the delivered milk.

If you really think that any prominent media is pro nuclear, then I'd like to live in your world. Worst case the deaths from Chernobyl and Fukushima will never catch other power sources. I'm doing all of my research with fairly legitimate scientists in the field.

sighval

Reaction score
My two cents on this matter: I live in Poland. Poland cannot into nuclear energy. Poland can into coal tho, we are and have been pretty good at it. ~50.000 deaths a year are attributed to the air we breathe, because it's pretty bad. In fact, it's one of the worst in Europe. Where does that bad air come from? Well, I'm no expert, but I don't think it's the water vapor coming from running all the nuclear plants we've got, doesn't seem to be fumes from all those barrels with nuclear waste resulting from operating said plants either.
All in all, pretty mysterious stuff. I just wish someone tried to do some sciency hocus-pocus to figure this out. I mean, there are all of these people, who devote their whole lives to studying these things (the so-called "experts"), trying to tell us for well over a century that in the long run shooting so much smoke into the air all around the world may not be the smartest idea, but hey, they are in their "comfort bubble" of not worrying and not trying to come up with some solid science to help us through the rough times ahead.
That's 50.000 thousand a year. Coal. Not Chernobyl, which is pretty close to us.

vick1000

Reaction score
It's ok, it's just death...I dont raally care, you can all just f*cking die...it's my dream, so f*cking die.

Status
Not open for further replies.