Chili time!!! LordOVchaoS style!!!

• Thread starter LordOVchaoS
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I LOOOOOVE chili. Over the years of living one my own I have experimented with chili quite extensively and have come up with what I believe to be the perfect chili recipe. It takes a total of 24 hours to cook properly and is a huge pain in the ass but the end result is well worth it. There is no chili powder (cept for the beef rub), tomato sauce, or ground beef involved here. This is the real thing.

What you'll need:

Crock pot
2 lb. Rump Roast (beef or venison)
4-5 strips of bacon
1 large onion
Large bag of dehydrated chili peppers
Ground Cumin
3-5 Garlic cloves
Cayenne pepper
Salt
Pepper
Masa flour
Can of black beans
Can of Pinto beans

The night before you are ready to enjoy the best chili you've ever tasted rub the roast down with chili powder, salt, and pepper and cook on low in the crock pot with the bacon laid over the top of it. Cook while you sleep for 10-12 hours.

In the morning chop the bacon into small pieces and tear the roast into shreds. Put it all back in the crock pot.

Boil 15 or so of the chili peppers for 30 minutes and then let them simmer for 30 minutes. Take them out one by one, remove the stem, tear them open, rinse out seeds, and gut them. If you boiled them and simmered them long enough the meat should peel away from the skin quite easily. You may have to scrape a little bit with a spoon.

Put the guts of the chili peppers in a processor or if you don't have one put it in a bowl and whip them with a fork.

Add the chili pepper paste you now have to the meat. Chop up the onion and garlic cloves and add them.

I use one and a half teaspoons of cayenne pepper, AT LEAST 3 teaspoons of cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Cumin is the key. People often mistake the taste of chili with chili powder but cumin is what you're tasting the most of. All of these ingredient amounts are personal preference.

Add about 2 cups of water and keep adding water as the day goes on so that it doesn't get too dry.

After all ingredients have been added cook on low for 12 hours (yes, you have to wake up early in the morning if you want to eat dinner at a decent hour) Stir about every 2 hours.

30 minutes before you're ready to eat mix 1/4 cup of masa flour with water to form a paste. Stir till there are no lumps and then stir it into the chili. Drain liquid from the beans and add them at this time.

Cook for 30 more minutes.

Garnish with shredded cheese and crackers and enjoy the best damn bowl of chili you've ever tasted. I also like to add a smidge of El Yucateco Habenero sauce but most folks don't like things as hot as I do.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Popsyche

Contributor
Reaction score
That sounds good! 1 thing, rinse the goo off the beans. That is where the undigestable compounds that cause so much "activity" are. It doesn't take away the flavor, just some of the distress! :)

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
That sounds quite good actually. Though I know a few chili-heads who would lose their shit because tou added beans. Seriously there is a whole lot of people who insist that chili does not have beans in it.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I know, I like beans though. I don't care if it's by the book it just tastes better with beans in it. I have no idea why people get so anal about that.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That sounds awesome, dude. :metal:

And I'm with you, if it doesn't have beans then it's not chili. fuck any purist who says otherwise. :D

Popsyche

Contributor
Reaction score
Your chili is more authentic than most versions, as it contains no tomato products. The original cowboy "bowl of red" was tough old(probably REALLY old) range cow boiled with some salt and bacon and some of those funny little peppers found at the side of the trail, usually pequins.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
If you like your chilli with beans, have your chilli with beans. The purists can leave them out. I like beans in chilli myself and I'm definitely giving this a go. :yesway:

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
A buddy at work is hooking me up with 4 lbs of venison to make chili out of :D I'll be feeding all my employees next Wednesday :D I may have to take Thursday off to avoid all the flatulence :lol:

If you guys try this please do report how it turns out! It really is worth all the effort!