Choice of three 7-string SD pairings

• Thread starter mdgh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mdgh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Three 7-string guitars I’m considering have the following Duncan pups:

Distortion x2
Alpha (N) /Omega (B)
Full Shred (B) / Jazz (N)

Which of those would you recommend for clear, articulate, versatile tones?

I will (probably) only ever be buying the one 7-string guitar, so it has to cover some ground. Cleans through to high gain.

edit: I couldn’t edit the post in my other thread, but anyway, seemed a better place for this question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zhysick

Reaction score
FS-Jazz seems the most versatile set of the bunch to me. You can boost but if the distortions are too hot for your rig input then it's going to sound too hot always, and the distortion neck is a hot pickup for the neck. Cleans are nonexistent but the lead tone is amazing.

The alpha/omega isn't hot but I don't like what I hear from them, haven tried them.

Fullshred and jazz are "tested classics". Clear and with a booster capable of the meanest metal

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Another suggestion I'd make is what about a SH-5 custom bridge with a jazz in the neck?

mdgh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, I could put whatever pups in at a later stage, but those three setups are available from the get-go, which would be nice, if any of them suits my needs.

Forgot to mention btw, that in each case, both pickups are splittable. Just in case that makes any difference.

KnightBrolaire

friendly neighborhood gearwhore
Reaction score
Alpha Omega set is quite versatile. Personally I think they're the best option of the group. Great cleans/coil split tones and they cover everything from jazzier stuff all the way to djent/tech death

SubsonicDoom99

Reaction score
All three mentioned are potentially good options for what you're after it seems, but I think my favorite of the bunch (parituclarly in a seven string guitar) would be the Alpha/Omega set. They're extremely clear and articulate but they can get pretty brutal if you need them to. Really well-balanced and as someone else mentioned already, the coil split tones are excellent too. I love Full Shred pickups but I honestly don't have that much hands-on experience with the seven string version, though I have heard them and what little I've played them, I think they'd get you there too. But for me, I'd take that Alpha/Omega set all day long, they've become one of my go-to seven string pickup sets. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Eyelessfiend

Reaction score
Definitely the FS/Jazz set. I have used both in my 6 and 7s. I'd recommend the Custom over the FS for versatility. The Custom is more PAF like, even the 7 version. The FS bridge is very tight and can be a bit stiff in the mids for cleans(the FS neck though is a personal fav for cleans), especially more vintage.

A Pegasus may also be worth looking at for versatility. A bit modern but handles many different styles well.

MYGFH

Music your GF hates
Reaction score
I have been hem-hawing like an old lady for months and months on new pickups. I'd pick a set put them in my shopping cart, sleep on it for several days, change my mind. Full disclosure, this is for my 6-string Ibanez RG550.

I finally pulled the trigger last week.

Black Winter trembucker - bridge
JB Bridge - neck

Steve-Om

Reaction score
I'm with the Full Shred (B) / Jazz (N) combo out of those 3 options.

I've used the Alpha / Omega set on a PRS Holcomb and honestly, I did not like it, at all lol. It sounded too "clinical" to my ears, almost too shrill and dead. And I tried it through 3 different heads: Marshall JVM, EVH 5150 III 50w and Engl Metalmaster 40w, and it sounded weird with all.

The SD Distortion is a good bridge pickup, but the neck version is not as good as the Jazz neck, in my humble opinion. And like mentioned before, may be too hot to be considered "versatile".

I'd say get the Full Shred/Jazz option. the Jazz is a very good neck pickup, and if you dont like the Full Shred you can swap it later on, although I'd doubt that you will not like it!

Steve-Om

Reaction score
I have been hem-hawing like an old lady for months and months on new pickups. I'd pick a set put them in my shopping cart, sleep on it for several days, change my mind. Full disclosure, this is for my 6-string Ibanez RG550.

I finally pulled the trigger last week.

Black Winter trembucker - bridge
JB Bridge - neck

that sounds like an interesting combo. I've read that the JB in the neck is a very good pickup, fat and fluid, just the way I like my neck pickups! please share your thoughts after trying them for a while :)