Climate Change Hoax

• Thread starter Yul Brynner
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
All of the articles I read talk about how we have to meet deadlines with carbon emissions and other pollution in order to prevent climate change.

We can already see that people are selfish douchebags that wouldn't inconvenience themselves even if their lives depended on it.

My question is, why are we still talking about prevention when we know it will never happen? Why are we not focusing on figuring out ways to adapt and fix what we know will be fucked up?

broj15

Reaction score
I think the real problem is that these deadlines & the responsibility of coming up with a solution is always pawned off on the public when in reality like 90% of the carbon emissions are produced by 10 major multinational companies. We COULD take huge steps to fix climate change literally tomorrow, but that would affect the bottom line and, well, the board of directors just don't know about that.

Edit: in reality I've already accepted the fact that my generation and the one that follows will live to see the most violent consequences of climate change caused by mass migration, food & land shortages, economic hardships, etc. but we won't have to deal with the truly horrific consequences of climate change ie. Entire populations being moved to underground cities because standing on the surface of the earth for to long means unavoidable dehydration and watching your sunburn happen in real time.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Climate change was probably the biggest issue that made me glad to be alive when I am, because now I have the peace of mind to not have a kid who will have to live through it, and I'm comfortable dying when it's not the absolute shitshow that future generations will deal with.

But yeah, it's not on the Dick and Jane Smith's to fix, it's the Exxons, Amazons, Walmarts, etc... to reduce their footprint as they produce 1,000x what we produce in a year in one hour.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sleewell

Reaction score
It's hard to prove something like that in a way where the dumb people can grasp it without just giving up and denying it. Plus were so divided now if one side said it was raining the other would say its sunny bc you have to be opposed to anything the other side says. I'm sure it also has to do with the fossil fuel lobbyists and investments people have in those companies.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
I think that there was a time when we could have prevented major problems, hell there was even a time that we all believed that humans were capable of destroying the environment. Due to our post fact world, the right has turned climate change into a hoax and the left has turned it into a product. I don’t know if we are past a tipping point, but I think our only salvation will be some revolution like the industrial or computer revolutions that completely change the game. The problem there is that in our capitalistic world, people only do stuff that makes them money and I don’t know that this will ever be financially incentivizing. That was sort of the idea behind carbon tax, but that is BS. Best case, don’t live near the ocean. Don’t live near a river. Don’t live near a forest. Don’t live in a major city. Pray that your municipality and country will keep consumer resources flowing through the series of inevitability worsening weather and climate related events.

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
The best book I ever read (non-fiction, entire life so far) on the subject of how it became such a "political agenda of the left" more so than plain facts that everyone should GAF about was in Dark Money by Jane Mayer.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
All of the articles I read talk about how we have to meet deadlines with carbon emissions and other pollution in order to prevent climate change.

We can already see that people are selfish douchebags that wouldn't inconvenience themselves even if their lives depended on it.

My question is, why are we still talking about prevention when we know it will never happen? Why are we not focusing on figuring out ways to adapt and fix what we know will be fucked up?

because we're pretty much already dead.

broj15

Reaction score
because we're pretty much already dead.

See i'd almost agree with you. It's really easy to think that it's all to far gone and any steps we'd take at this point would just be damage control, and to an extent that's true. We can't refreeze the glaciers & polar ice caps. We can't regrow the rainforest or restore coral reefs overnight. Can't take back all the trash, pollution, radiation, oil, etc. that's been spilled into the ocean. However, at the beginning & peak of the lockdown/stay at home orders when less cars were being driven & there was less air travel I remember seeing studies and articles about how certain parts of the ozone were already starting to bounce back. You'd be surprised at how quickly the world can reset itself when humans stop making such an impact, so I feel like if steps are taken within the next 5 years then maybe there's hope that we can still bounce back from all the consequences of the industrial revolution & overpopulation.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
See i'd almost agree with you. It's really easy to think that it's all to far gone and any steps we'd take at this point would just be damage control, and to an extent that's true. We can't refreeze the glaciers & polar ice caps. We can't regrow the rainforest or restore coral reefs overnight. Can't take back all the trash, pollution, radiation, oil, etc. that's been spilled into the ocean. However, at the beginning & peak of the lockdown/stay at home orders when less cars were being driven & there was less air travel I remember seeing studies and articles about how certain parts of the ozone were already starting to bounce back. You'd be surprised at how quickly the world can reset itself when humans stop making such an impact, so I feel like if steps are taken within the next 5 years then maybe there's hope that we can still bounce back from all the consequences of the industrial revolution & overpopulation.

a. have less humans

b. colonize space

pick 1 or both.

Adieu

Reaction score
Next we'll be saying covid is a Radical Green Chinese effort to save the planet from the idiot western barbarians

....wait. Is it?!?!?!?

Edika

Reaction score
The cause for climate change is corporations plus people. Corporation have a large carbon footprint but so do people combined. In the current economical model it's not easy to get out of the vicious circle of poluting. If people were to stop contributing on poluting they should stop overconsuming food, using too much electricity, using cars and buying stuff they'll throw away in a couple of years that are not easily recycleable.
But the more ecological alternatives cost quite a bit more than the current optimised stuff in production, meaning everything is packed in plastic and buying vegetables from the farmers market will cost two or three times more. Electronic equipment are really cheap but break down or are obsolete in a small amount of time. Electric cars are more expensive and need special areas to charge plus take a lot more time to charge than say fill up a tank of gas. Electricity is mainly produced by burning coal.
The human population increases constantly and so does the toll on natural resources.

On the other hand climate change has been really gradual and only lately have we seen the more extreme effects by storms and extreme temperatures. People have a real difficult time grasping things that happen in a wide span of time. If the effect is not immediate it is not easily perceivable to most. Conservative forces around the world still try to make it seem the changes we're seeing is a natural thing.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
why are we still talking about prevention when we know it will never happen? Why are we not focusing on figuring out ways to adapt
For how politically minded people are here, I'm surprised people haven't figured out that politics aren't about figuring things out and getting things done, they're about winning arguments. It doesn't matter what we focus on, cause it'll still be a bunch of arguing and doing nothing.

I feel like the trick is relying on politics to get anything done. Politics don't get things done, they prevent things from getting done. Politicians are the last people we should be asking to solve this. Besides that - are things not happening? I'm no climate change expert, but I think I'd be shocked to find that nobody anywhere is thinking about the problem, or actively trying to figure out solutions. Even something as subtle as the fact that there are people driving electric cars around here is sign of some small change. If you're focused on politicians, you're not seeing what everyone else is doing. I suspect that the impact of reduced driving this year is being measured and studied by someone as we speak.

I agree that it's not an every-joe-blow kind of problem (to a point), but it's also not a "lets just ask politicians to fix this" problem. Scientists are thing. Experts are a thing. Put the ball in their court, and listen to them when they answer. Take politics out of the equation because they're a blocker, not a solution.

Adieu

Reaction score
Climate change deniers should be scared straight with HISTORY, not future fortune telling they'll write off as hard to believe

From the Dust Bowl to the far more permanent and impressive creation of the Sahara by early industrial overfarming by the empires of antiquity, there's very clear evidence that shit we do CAN totally change the climate of huge regions.

Hence the globe, too.

After all it's so damn tiny. It's not like we're saying we can fuck up the universe or our galaxy, just our small rock that even our grandfathers' generation could already make full orbits around in like 40 minutes or something.

Edika

Reaction score
Why does it matter if it's "natural"? Does something being "natural" make it less of a threat? The sun is perfectly natural, but I still use spf to prevent sunburns.

What they're trying to pass off as a natural thing and not a made man climate change is the rising temperatures and probably now the over abundance of destructive storms, plus the melting of the ice caps and so on. If the narrative is that it is a natural change that happens over the millenia then they don't have to pass any legislation that will decrease the profits of the lobbies they represent and are receiving copious and dubious donations for their campaings and personal gain. So if the voters are convinced there's nothing we can do as we're not to blame they get re-elected and they're aback to business as usual.

I'm not sure though if these politicians actually buy into this and are as dense or they're just so callous and nihilistic that they're trying to exploit the situation as much as possible as mist of them will be dead from old age in a couple of decades. Probably the answer is somewhere in the middle as I can't believe that they would put their personal immediate self interest over their own families and offspirngs well being.