coffee thread

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
In all seriousness, I actually have never tried Ethiopian coffee and would love to hear more than the tired tropes I get from God knows where. Does it taste flowery? I have heard that and avoided it resultantly.

jaxadam

Reaction score
In all seriousness, I actually have never tried Ethiopian coffee and would love to hear more than the tired tropes I get from God knows where. Does it taste flowery? I have heard that and avoided it resultantly.

Years back I bought an Illy Ethiopian and it was one of worst coffees I’d ever had. I can usually get through it, and being a fan of Illy I tried, but I just at couldn’t do it. Way too bitter/citrusy/flowery.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Most Ethiopian coffees I've tried have been higher acidity and fruit forward. Some have had cherry/strawberry/blueberry notes. I wouldn't call them floral.
Red Rooster has a great Ethiopian Worka single origin fyi.
Intelligentsia also has a good Ethiopian single origin that's fruit forward.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
@knightbrolarry which one tastes the most like gasoline? I want that one. Nuanced, though. Not necessarily top fuel. I understand we're dealing with wind powered landraces here.

IDK why I said in all seriousness, I clown in this bitch solid.

Last edited:

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
Depends. Pretty common to get berry and chocolatey notes. The floral ones do exist but are less common in my experience.

Right now I'm working on a bag of Ethiopian Gesha from Corvus out of Colorado. There's a hint of floral aroma when I brew it but mostly it smells like pastry and tastes like peaches. There's potential for bitterness but coarser grind size keeps it in balance.

God I sound like a cork sniffing snob... I spent too much time tinkering with variables with a coffee nerd friend and now I have all kinds of unnecessary awareness of flavor notes and extraction profiles. Starbucks and Peets are basically ruined. Maybe you're better off with your French press and two coffee options...

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
IDK if there's a tea thread but I've been more on that train lately. I have coffee once or twice a week and it makes me hyper AF and gives me massive sugar cravings. Since I quit smoking weed, caffeine is now the hardest drug I regularly take. I've been drinking a lot of Jasmine tea because my roommate has a yuge bag of it he never drinks, but it's not my favorite, very bitter and tannin-y even with a short 1-2min steep.

My stepmom sent me some Lankaran tea from Azerbaijan and I love it. Much smoother than the Jasmine tea. The sampler she sent me also has some thyme tea which they recommend you mix together, and that's lovely as well. I'm almost out of both but I grow thyme every summer, I am gonna have to order more of this tea. There was also a jar of Lankaran with flowers and thyme already mixed in, that was my favorite and it's long gone.

jaxadam

Reaction score
IDK if there's a tea thread but I've been more on that train lately. I have coffee once or twice a week and it makes me hyper AF and gives me massive sugar cravings. Since I quit smoking weed, caffeine is now the hardest drug I regularly take. I've been drinking a lot of Jasmine tea because my roommate has a yuge bag of it he never drinks, but it's not my favorite, very bitter and tannin-y even with a short 1-2min steep.

My stepmom sent me some Lankaran tea from Azerbaijan and I love it. Much smoother than the Jasmine tea. The sampler she sent me also has some thyme tea which they recommend you mix together, and that's lovely as well. I'm almost out of both but I grow thyme every summer, I am gonna have to order more of this tea. There was also a jar of Lankaran with flowers and thyme already mixed in, that was my favorite and it's long gone.

If you like Earl Grey tea (which I do), try Lady Grey tea.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just switched back to an espresso dark rich .."intense" blend.

whffewwwww... this is not nice to my stomach lol 💩💩 It's a huge bag too. I may have to move back to a medium/lighter blend and ditch this or use this sparingly. haha

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
I spent a lot of time in Whitefish, MT growing up where my grandparents lived. To this day, I'm yet to find a domestic roasting company that impresses me as much as Montana Coffee Traders whole bean blends.

Rising Wolf blend is my gold standard. When I think of the smell of coffee brewing, I instantly think of Rising Wolf. And for light roasts which I also enjoy, Northern Lights and Buffalo Blend are aces. I've had all the stuff they offer.

www.coffeetraders.com

nightsprinter

Reaction score
Family member came back from Costa Rica with Monteverdé medium roast. I'm usually a light or dark roast person but this med roast is awesome.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
My mom bought me a ton of Kona coffee while she was on Kona island. Gotta plow through this mediocre Peruvian blend I got from Fresh Thyme before I open any of it though.

It's been a couple months since I got my Fellow Opus grinder and I'm super happy with it. It does a very consistent grind and it's easy to adjust grind settings unlike on the other grinder I had (a piece of shit Mr. Coffee grinder). It's noisier than the cheap ass Krups grinder I used to use, but it's not horribly noisy. The magnetic cup and anti-static features are nice little touches that make cleaning/keeping parts together a lot easier.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Parents would buy it almost exclusively in the 90s and I'm over it.

Yup, same story here. Stores out this way got what they got so I grabbed FR on a lark. It's not bad or even very different, just not as good IMO.

Still keeping an eye out for Ethiopian.

nightsprinter

Reaction score
Yup, same story here. Stores out this way got what they got so I grabbed FR on a lark. It's not bad or even very different, just not as good IMO.

Still keeping an eye out for Ethiopian.

Ethiopian Yirgacheffe is pretty good yeh