Combination of Pickups in RGA-7

iamshamik

Reaction score
Hey people! I'm from India. I recently acquired an Ibanez RGA-7 after saving up for a real long time..
eusa_angel.gif
. As most of you with the RGA-7 would know, the stock pickups are extremely muddy!!! So, I'm planning to replace them. Thing is, after buying the guitar, I'm SUPER-Broke and cannot really afford to spend on decent pickups, atleast for the time being. Good news is, my friend who's got a Prestige RG1527Z has offered me his stock bridge pickup, the Ibanez V8 pickup, which in my opinion is wayyyy better than the stock pickups of my guitar. Question is, I have active pickups on my guitar, so could someone here guide me as to what or how the circuitry should be so that I can keep the stock neck pickup of my guitar and have the V8 as my bridge pickup.
Alsao, this not being essential, can the 'Active EQ switch' be replaced with a tone control knob??
Thanks.:flame:

PS: I'm a complete noob when it comes to electronics, so a detailed explanation/diagrams would be really helpful. :flame:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BabUShka

Reaction score
If you dont mid active pickups, then go with Blackouts or EMG81-7 / 707.
Easy to install, no routing needed.
If you want passives, you'll have to think if a way to cover the extra cavity.. Pickup rings perhaps.. This because active 7 string pickups are usually bigger than passives.

vicpic777

Reaction score
You should put blackouts in it, I installed them in my RGA7 and it sounds like a monster, They are la little pricey but they worth it !!! It will be the best sounding guitar you'll have! For the EQ switch, you need to drill it a little because YOU ABSOLUTELY need to replace this crap... You will also have to change the battery cavity, normally it's a 3a battery, with blackouts, even emg you need to have a 9v battery, It need some work BUT it worth time and money invested !!!

iamshamik

Reaction score
@BabUShka, vicpic777

Its not about me wanting or not wanting active pickups. I 'acquired' a V8 passive pickup which didnt cost me anything and am super broke right now to afford anything at all!!
All I wanna know is such a combination of pickups possible and if yes, then how?

Thanks for your replies. :)

Kapee

ss.org Master
Reaction score
For easing everything, you should get another v8 for the neck position. Maby you can get a killer deal with your friend for the neck pickup? :)

I know im not really helpful here, but i dont think its possible to have these pickups mixed with passive ones.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't rewired a guitar or anything but I'm sure this is all very possible. As for switching the EQ switch for a tone knob, you may need to make the hole a bit bigger to fit the knob.

BabUShka

Reaction score
Oh sorry, thats what happens when you dont read the first post properly.. :p
Its possible to mix passives with actives.. Nothing is impossible. But it requires some drawing circuit work, optimazing pots, jack, batteries ++++
Lot of things to think about. If you ask nicely, I bet some of the guys on this forum can send you a Ibanez pickup for free so you can have complete passive setup with the V8. If your lucky enough to find anyone from India ofc, otherwise its just not worth shipping a IBZ pickup internationally.. :)

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let's keep it to one thread and post in the correct section going forward. You might want to also take a moment and read the site rules.

iamshamik

Reaction score
@BlackMastodon

Tell me something, if I ditch the Active EQ switch and get a volume control of 500k in that hole and connect the passive pickup to that and opt for somewhat of a two way switch, using the 3 way switch..u know..just to switch between the active neck and the passive bridge, is that possible?

@BabUShka
No one I know is passing me a neck pickup for free :p
Could you maybe gimme some detailed instructions/diagrams in making such a combination? I dont really care about the EQ switch and neither do I care for a tone control.

@Kapee
I've tried talking him into doing that, but that'll take quite some time.

@technomancer
Noted.

Thanks

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
Swapping into another generic stock Ibanez pickup sounds like a waste of time to me.
Just save your pennies,(rupees) till you can afford some emg's or blackouts. My .02

Bower1

Reaction score
I would just use the poor stock pickups until you can afford to get something good. Dimarzios. Duncans, Bare Knuckles. Just don't waste your time doing a pickup change to other terrible IBBY pickups.
I had some V8's. I just gave them away. Not even worth selling. Also really not worth your time to combine with these poor pickups. If we were talking EMG and something good then yeah.

Save your money. It will be worth it. :hbang:

gavn13

Reaction score
I actually also have an RGA7 and thought about doing something similar with 1 evo and the stock neck and it is possible but you need an whole new circuit for the passive. Also Dimarzios are almost a direct fit you just have to cut off the tabs I wood mounted mine and they look fine.

Latest posts