Comments from non-guitarists about guitars

• Thread starter cardinal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
The other day I was thinking about the time my friend, who played guitar but didn't know much about them, insisted that I explain the technical details of my PRS Mushok to her very autistic boyfriend who liked metal, but knew even less than her about guitars. I think she thought she was helping us get to know each other. Poor fucking dude looked like a cornered rabbit as I half-heartedly rattled off extremely uninteresting facts which he heroically tried to pretend to care about, both of us side-eyeing my friend every few seconds to see if she was ready to release us from this abominably awkward interaction. Finally I was just like "uh... yeah. So can I buy you a beer?" Phew.

Another one from my son, man. I had a beautiful custom shop Charvel DK24 with a trans green flame top. He comes in and is like "Oh, a grass guitar. That's cool. I guess." A grass guitar. He guesses.

Never could look at that guitar the same way again.
From the mouths of babes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Another one from my son, man. I had a beautiful custom shop Charvel DK24 with a trans green flame top. He comes in and is like "Oh, a grass guitar. That's cool. I guess." A grass guitar. He guesses.

Never could look at that guitar the same way again.

Back when I was obsessed with Metallica and wanting to be James Hetfield, I had bought a natural Ibby Destroyer. Given that it was just a giant hunk of wood my wife said it looked like a table.

I know that feeling.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
"Why do you need so many?"
There is a mathematical equation to answer this question; n+1 = number of guitars you need. There are also decision trees for guitar buying, but the math is more consistent. :agreed:

I am fortunate that my wife entertains and tolerates most of my guitar-related purchases. I only forgot to tell her about one six-string bass purchase. The seller had sent me an offer and when I got the email, I immediately accepted it. Then I thought, "Oh shit, I didn't tell her I was buying this." I typically tell her about any spending over $500 just to keep communication on finances open. It helps that I was employed as a guitar tech for several years, so I have actually made a meager living on guitar-related stuff, so that helps validate my current collection.

She has told me that she will not let me have an ESP SV-II Urban Camo in the house under any circumstances. Apparently she despises how that guitar looks. I guess I will have to settle for an E-II Arrow of some type instead.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I am fortunate that my wife entertains and tolerates most of my guitar-related purchases.

It's probably becuse you're more mature than an average 8-year-old. I think the difference between the "I hate my wife" people and the rest of the world is that most normal people have some reasonable self-control, and aren't putting the family in a worse financial state from irresponsible purchases. The people who say "my wife won't let me" are not "allowed" it's probably because they tend to do things like, when they are sent to the grocery store to pick up something for dinner, and they come home with 3 pints of oysters, rutabaga, and a cake in a flavor they don't like, or they spend the laundry machine replacement fund without asking on a non-functional 4-wheeler that's been up on jack stands and had its transmission parts spread around the garage floor for 6 years because "it was too good a deal to pass up". 😅

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
they come home with 3 pints of oysters, rutabaga, and a cake in a flavor they don't like, or they spend the laundry machine replacement fund without asking on a non-functional 4-wheeler that's been up on jack stands and had its transmission parts spread around the garage floor for 6 years because "it was too good a deal to pass up". 😅
What the hell? If you don't know how to cool a rutabaga in 1950, it's not like you can find a tutorial on YouTube. Wow, that video was amazing. That's why you don't go to the grocery hungry!

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I'm very naturally honest with my wife about pretty much everything. Which is why I felt fairly guilty when I told her recently that I needed a couple parts for my Jeep. She didn't ask what the parts were and I guess that I knew she wouldn't. But I felt bad because the "parts" were actually two upgraded speakers. One of the factory speakers had taken a dump and I wasn't going to only replace one since the other would likely shit the bed soon as well, and they simply needed to be matched regardless.

When the speakers arrived though ( because my conscience had gotten to me) I immediately showed her. But being the supportive person that she is, she was like "Oh cool!". I then told her that I felt kinda bad since these parts weren't actually necessary in terms of keeping the vehicle running. And to that she said that it was totally understandable because music is such a huge part of who I am and that she knows that I can't drive without tunes. She's pretty awesome sometimes.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Said to me by a dude I met recently who supposedly plays the guitar.

Dude: *enters the room, probably high as a kite, and sees me tuning 8 string strandberg* duuuuuuude is that a bass?! Bro it looks like... some kinda medieval instrument bro, right? Siiicckk"

Me: *what do I do with this guy*

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Said to me by a dude I met recently who supposedly plays the guitar.

Dude: *enters the room, probably high as a kite, and sees me tuning 8 string strandberg* duuuuuuude is that a bass?! Bro it looks like... some kinda medieval instrument bro, right? Siiicckk"

Me: *what do I do with this guy*
tumblr_om0ekxnf3Z1vy747uo1_500.jpg

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Does this go on the AI thread? :lol: it made me scratch my head for a while! I'm pretty sure that is exactly what the dude was seeing in his head though, because that is literally how he made me feel :lol:

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
I wish I still had a picture of a sign I saw at a guitar store. I think the Owners Wife must have put it up. It read ...

A Guitar "Try Out" is about 5 minutes long, anything longer than 5 minutes is a Session.

NO SESSIONS PLEASE!

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Roofing contractor was here last week going over our insurance claim and we had been outside the whole time. I mentioned something about playing guitar. And he lights up and says "Oh I play guitar too! What kind of guitar do you have?"

And I was like "It'll probably be quicker to just show you." So we come inside and I start showing him the ones I've got out on stands, like "This one is a DC700 7 string, and this one I swapped the bridge from a fat-50 to an SSL-5, and I replaced the trem on this one to a Gotoh 510, etc, etc."

And he's like "Ah. I play acoustic". So I asked him all about his acoustic and we talked about that for a while... brand, age, string gauges, etc. But man.. that was a real boner killer right there. I guess I just assumed when he said "guitar" that he was refering to electric.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Roofing contractor was here last week going over our insurance claim and we had been outside the whole time. I mentioned something about playing guitar. And he lights up and says "Oh I play guitar too! What kind of guitar do you have?"

And he's like "Ah. I play acoustic".
Ha. Yeah, I basically hear that as "I play banjo" and I'm like "oh, that's cool", and then I try to change the conversation. 🤣

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Ha. Yeah, I basically hear that as "I play banjo" and I'm like "oh, that's cool", and then I try to change the conversation. 🤣
I dunno why but I just assumed that he was all about electric guitars... Maybe that he looked pretty young or that he looked like he was into metal? After I put on the brakes and listened to him talk about his Martin, I did reveal to him that I had a couple of Taylors in another room but at that point it was kinda like two people that get their rocks off having a cheating affair... just to find out that neither are actually married.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I should add that my answer to whether learning guitar is hard or not depends on who is asking me. Same with weightlifting. It's hard if you make it hard and if you don't there's not much point to it.

I'll never forget how many of my fat stoner friends have told me they could lift my weights if they wanted to, but they don't want to. Yes, you have ten fingers and ten toes, but zero ability to motivate or set standards for yourself. Congrats on finding a way of consoling yourself with your own unremarkable existence, if not for being so stupid it might actually be pretty smart coping mechanism. Many of them were guys who also loved to tell me they can't improv or solo at all because they "don't want to". Funny reservations from people who are incapable, but whatever.