Could anyone replace Warrel Dane ?

• Thread starter kmanick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
P.S. I found this gem again, oh my lord, how strong can the feeling of nostalgia be:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
Nah he did higher-pitched stuff in early Nevermore stuff as well. He quit doing it around the time of Dead Heart.
I saw the last Sanctuary tour. That disc was awesome, but if you listen to it the primary vocals are low and in the background you could hear the hi harmonies. Live that night he often went high. Dude is awesome.

Someone needs to unlock Loomis, he may be my favorite but miss when he was the primary songwriter and soloist in Nevermore.

GenghisCoyne

im here to party
Reaction score
Not to derail, but James Keenan/Jeff Loomis project would be really cool. Particularly if they did something ingenious considering their exclusive styles.

Another, Keenan with Jerry Cantrell

Everlast with Guthrie Govan

Dave Matthews with Guthrie Govan!!! Oof

Phil Anselmo with Michael Romeo!! Imagine that!

Phil Anselmo with Nuno Bettencourt

Of course, Hetfield with Cantrell (acoustic album)

Vogg (Decapitated) with Per Nilson

James Keenan with Mike Einziger!

Adam Jones with Bjork

😔
this boy playing 5d chess

CharlesTbastard

Return of the Shredi
Reaction score
Big Nevermore fan here. This has always seemed to have slipped under the radar, but Steve Smyth (formerly of Nevermore) had a sorta Nevermore 2.0 band for a while. And as Steve wrote for Nevermore, you can hear it coming through in the music.
The singer on the second album had some pretty good high screaming going at times. Not sure if he could manage the actual Nevermore stuff though.

The screaming only really gets going from about halfway.

Steve posted today that they have a new singer and One Machine will continue. I'd like to hear another Essenness Project record as well.

As far as the OP...
No, I do not think anyone can or should try to, replace Warrell. I agree, once in a lifetime talent.

I hope Jeff is about done with his new solo record.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I saw the last Sanctuary tour. That disc was awesome, but if you listen to it the primary vocals are low and in the background you could hear the hi harmonies. Live that night he often went high. Dude is awesome.

Someone needs to unlock Loomis, he may be my favorite but miss when he was the primary songwriter and soloist in Nevermore.
Speaking of that; I need to correct myself because I forgot he still did highs on Dead Heart :lol: It's one of my least-often-visited Nevermore records so when I got to We Disintegrate I was like "oops." :lol:
He was definitely still capable of the range but I guess felt he didn't need to go as high as often due to the primary tuning of the band being A# vs Eb.

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
Nevermore is one of my favourite bands, I have a picture of me somewhere with Warrell, I was at a show in Toronto in 98 or 99 and he was standing beside me in the crowd while a band called Bloodwurm were playin, Awful band. anyhow he was beside me with his hoodie up and nobody recognized him except me, so he shared his joint with me. it was a great time, that was probably my third or fourth time seeing them.

so no, you can't replace him.

pantsaregood

Reaction score
The guy from Communic (Oddleif Stensland) sounds kind of like him in certain parts of his register. Nevermore is still my favorite band and I'd love to see these songs live, but Warrel's range was pretty wide.

Dead Heart in a Dead World and This Godless Endeavor are what made me see the utility of seven string guitars as something other than "a nu metal thing."

Everyone always praises what a great guitarist Jeff Loomis is - and they're right - but he's also a fantastic songwriter and it just doesn't get utilized in Arch Enemy.

MrWulf

Reaction score
Its kinda hard tbh. I disagree with the video that said Warrel Dane's vocal are "operatic", considering bands that actually have operatic singer like Fleshgod Apocalypse sounds significantly smoother. Warrel Dane sounds like a tough guy who happen to hit notes with his vocal chord imo. And a lot of time his vocal can sounds quite atonal, not really hitting the notes but because of how intense Nevermore sound it add onto it.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of vocalists in my day, and even now this just finally clicked for me as someone who could come even close to his style of singing now that Kmanick has quoted them as saying "operatic" (I word I wouldn't have thought to use, but is fitting) - Marco Hietala from Nightwish.

He's the only other person I can think of with a similar timber to Warrel's voice, and even then it's not exact, just SIMILAR. It's like trying to find another Layne for AIC after he passed, so you might find someone who fits, but it'll never be the same band.
I would definetely pay big bucks to see Nevermore fronted by Marco Hietala.

Reactions: MFB

The Mirror

Reaction score
I would definetely pay big bucks to see Nevermore fronted by Marco Hietala.
Would probably even be a decent sized band for him, since he left Nightwish because of all the financial/behind-the-scenes hassle.

But I guess he's pretty fine as of now, doing solo / small collab stuff.

ToRNOuTLaW

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I can image some singers fitting in stylistically, but none that overall sounds like Warrel.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I would agree that Marco from Nightwish is probably the closest we'll get timbre wise. His vocal delivery at times is very similar to Warrel.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its kinda hard tbh. I disagree with the video that said Warrel Dane's vocal are "operatic", considering bands that actually have operatic singer like Fleshgod Apocalypse sounds significantly smoother. Warrel Dane sounds like a tough guy who happen to hit notes with his vocal chord imo. And a lot of time his vocal can sounds quite atonal, not really hitting the notes but because of how intense Nevermore sound it add onto it.
Warrel has more "smooth" moments in Sanctuary, but I always heard more Halford/King Diamond, less "operatic".

aesthyrian

Reaction score
Like often, the fans would never accept a replacement even if the replacement is subjectively better, especially when the original singer has passed away. There are a million power metal vocalist that could fit the part, minus the screams, but nostalgia is king once again.

Who's asking for a replacement anyway?

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Like often, the fans would never accept a replacement even if the replacement is subjectively better, especially when the original singer has passed away. There are a million power metal vocalist that could fit the part, minus the screams, but nostalgia is king once again.

Who's asking for a replacement anyway?
No one is asking see OP, just wishing out loud :(

OwenD

Reaction score
Clark Brown - GZR (Black Science album) and James Murphy (Feeding the Machine album, tracks 1 & 5)

Tim 'Ripper' Owens is similar too, powerful voice, wide range

Latest posts