Cover/Whitechapel - I, dementia

• Thread starter darkflame
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darkflame

Reaction score
Hello masters!

I would love some feedback on my mixing etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/06o8c0tpq5yvh5f/dementia 5.mp3?dl=0

DAW: Reaper
Guitars: Spear T-200 with DiMarzio titan through di-box to focusrite Scarlett solo. TSE808, TSE X50, nadIR with frightbox recordings 57 impulse.
Bass: Loki
Drums: GGD Invasion
Vocals: Audiotechnica At2020

Feel free to ask if anything!

Thank you!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Phobos//Deimos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That’s legit man! Nothing stands out as needing a fix. Perhaps the drums sound a little dry, though I’m listening on my phone speaker, ha! I’ll give it a proper listen in a bit and if I can think of anything else I’ll let you know, but it’s good as is.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Sounds fine, one thing I will point out that has nothing to do with the mix, the vocals are practically whispered and its pretty apparent. I know its difficult to do, but screaming and growling take volume, and this sounds like if you continue to use this technique, you will probably hurt your throat. Sounds like its all throat, no diaphram/stomach.

That being said, glad to see someone having fun and putting out cool covers. Good job.

scolio1978

Reaction score
nice job! im loving that loki bass vst instrument. quick question, does it have a sustain option? you know what i mean? an option in the plugin you can select where every note is sustained until you press the next note? i was looking at it and it looks like it does not. thanks.

Hello masters!

I would love some feedback on my mixing etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/06o8c0tpq5yvh5f/dementia 5.mp3?dl=0

DAW: Reaper
Guitars: Spear T-200 with DiMarzio titan through di-box to focusrite Scarlett solo. TSE808, TSE X50, nadIR with frightbox recordings 57 impulse.
Bass: Loki
Drums: GGD Invasion
Vocals: Audiotechnica At2020

Feel free to ask if anything!

Thank you!

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
Sounds fine, one thing I will point out that has nothing to do with the mix, the vocals are practically whispered and its pretty apparent. I know its difficult to do, but screaming and growling take volume, and this sounds like if you continue to use this technique, you will probably hurt your throat. Sounds like its all throat, no diaphram/stomach.

That being said, glad to see someone having fun and putting out cool covers. Good job.

Came here to say the same thing. It's not necessarily bad but compared to Winston's vocals this one feels a bit flat and unexpressive. When you're projecting you drag notes out and slur between them. This version is very articulate but it almost feels like a voice over.

Also, when you project you create more harmonics and that gives your screams more presence at higher pitches. That's part of what makes a scream a scream, instead of just loud speaking. Especially for this very low style, when you're up against low guitars, you need that to cut through the mix. At a minimum you need to get some "air" into the vocals.

darkflame

Reaction score
Sorry for the huuuuge delay in responses. Thank you for your feedbacks! I took and focused on my false chord vocal technique by your responses and damn I'm thankful for it! It seems I've been using my epiglottis and not the false chords and that could be pretty messy in the long term.

Thank you for your expert ears people!

darkflame

Reaction score
nice job! im loving that loki bass vst instrument. quick question, does it have a sustain option? you know what i mean? an option in the plugin you can select where every note is sustained until you press the next note? i was looking at it and it looks like it does not. thanks.
Thank you!

That's the only bass plugin I'm using at the moment and I'm loving it! If I recall correctly there's key binds for sustained notes but I'll check for you when I get back on the PC.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
Sorry for the huuuuge delay in responses. Thank you for your feedbacks! I took and focused on my false chord vocal technique by your responses and damn I'm thankful for it! It seems I've been using my epiglottis and not the false chords and that could be pretty messy in the long term.

Thank you for your expert ears people!

Glad to hear that you've been improving your technique 👍 Vocals is really something where you just have to try and get it wrong and then adjust, so the best thing to do is just keep on keeping on.

darkflame

Reaction score
Glad to hear that you've been improving your technique 👍 Vocals is really something where you just have to try and get it wrong and then adjust, so the best thing to do is just keep on keeping on.
For sure and it seems to be something that is really easy to get wrong and mandatory to get feedback and input from someone more experienced to guide you through and past the rocks.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
For sure and it seems to be something that is really easy to get wrong and mandatory to get feedback and input from someone more experienced to guide you through and past the rocks.

You can work by yourself, but it definitely is tougher. It is very difficult to listen to your own vocals and instantly know if you're doing something wrong or you just haven't quite mixed it properly.

I spent about an hour yesterday slowly realising that my verse and chorus sounded different because I was literally singing them differently. Which sounds super obvious, but it happens so easily. Like, you could be lacking low end in this take because you were a little further off the mic, and you remember singing it and you think you did it right.

When you have other people to listen then it can be pretty brutal... But fresh ears can spot stuff right away that you are certain sounds fine.