Covid 19/Coronavirus

• Thread starter Ralyks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sleewell

Reaction score
if you dont know about something and are dumb enough to just call it rape i've got nothing for you. enjoy getting your smarts from fb and being on the ignore list.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Which is why the people who administer them for a living, DO know what's in them and we allow them to administer them, and they know that no part of the vaccine is the chemical compound that suddenly gives you autism.

It's the Sarah Palin conundrum. I don't trust anything I don't know, but I'm too lazy to learn anything new.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sighval

Reaction score
Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't you able to find out what's inside vaccines that are available on the market? Drug leaflets, stuff like that?

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't you able to find out what's inside vaccines that are available on the market? Drug leaflets, stuff like that?

Yes but because they are made up of complex chemical compound names that you will find in both benign AND poisonous chemicals ("OMG! THEY PUT THAT STUFF IN RAT POISON!"), that does not abate these people.

sighval

Reaction score
Well then. I don't know the inner workings of, let's say, an airplane, should I go to the nearest airport and start shouting it's all a ruse and a secret plot to kill the passengers? They DO crash from time to time, after all...

Edit.
Cutting down on sarcasm a bit, I really find it quite interesting - what we believe and WHY (that's the important bit).

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Is anyone here an anti vaxxer? I am not one, BUT.....I am against mandatory vaccination

You do have an alternative, which is quarantine and isolation. Your pick. I heard Siberia can be a nice place.

This is part of my point. You DON'T know whats in a vaccine.
That's true, that's what I pay a doctor for.

As a side note, we are probably more trustful in Europe because the health system here isn't designed to fuck us sideways.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well then. I don't know the inner workings of, let's say, an airplane, should I go to the nearest airport and start shouting it's all a ruse and a secret plot to kill the passengers? They DO crash from time to time, after all...

Edit.
Cutting down on sarcasm a bit, I really find it quite interesting - what we believe and WHY (that's the important bit).

Sarcasm entirely appropriate. The onus on informing oneself until capable of making a decision is on the individual. If you don't want to do the leg work, don't and continue to make uninformed decisions or no decisions. But telling other people what to do or fear baiting just because you're paranoid and also ill informed is bullshit.

Alexa run my life

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The onus on informing oneself until capable of making a decision is on the individual.
Right. But even the "bunk" material needs to be read (not to be confused with believed) in order for one to truly make an informed decision.
This is a really dumb question that doesn't need to be asked
The learning stops when you stop asking questions.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
But even the "bunk" material needs to be read (not to be confused with believed) in order for one to truly make an informed decision.
No it doesn't. I don't need to read what an uninformed person thinks 5G is to know what it's not. I don't need to read anything to know there are no microchips in vaccines. You don't need to read a double-blind repeatable peer-reviewed study on the effect of abrupt cessation of excessive momentum to know that if you jump off a cliff, you're probably going to die. I even used all the biggest "you need science to prove it" words I could think of.

The learning stops when you stop asking questions.
Learning also stops when you believe every answer that strikes you as vaguely plausible.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Kinda changing the subject, but I don't really understand why things are starting to open up already. If feels really premature at this point. Even if you're not 100% onboard with the lockdown in the first place, it seems to me that if you're going to start a lockdown under certain conditions then we should be following through and lot lifting the lockdown until those conditions aren't true any more. When things first started to get serious and I got sent home in the first place there were a grant total of zero deaths from this yet. We still have over a hundred people dieing per day, but people are suddenly deciding to just start going back. I want to get out there as much as anyone else, but this feels like a bad idea.

wankerness

Reaction score
Kinda changing the subject, but I don't really understand why things are starting to open up already. If feels really premature at this point. Even if you're not 100% onboard with the lockdown in the first place, it seems to me that if you're going to start a lockdown under certain conditions then we should be following through and lot lifting the lockdown until those conditions aren't true any more. When things first started to get serious and I got sent home in the first place there were a grant total of zero deaths from this yet. We still have over a hundred people dieing per day, but people are suddenly deciding to just start going back. I want to get out there as much as anyone else, but this feels like a bad idea.

Depending on the country, some of the opening up actually IS smart, and things HAVE changed. No, there's not a cure for the disease or anything, but there are proven ways to massively reduce chance of infection and run many kinds of business without too much risk. Most countries bulked up their testing and contact tracing to an extent where yes, there will be outbreaks, but they'll be able to be detected and stomped out locally with some reasonable degree of speed. Like, in Italy, now things are opening up, but if you go anywhere without a mask or don't clean things properly or restaurants break the guidelines on number of people etc, there are heavy fines and/or jailtime and/or taking of licenses. If more than 80% of the population is wearing masks correctly, the risk is very low as long as you're smart.

Society has to get functioning again, but stuff like that is the only safe way to do it when you're dealing with a particular culture with a lot of "BUT MAH RIGHTS" morons. Many Asian countries are doing similar things, but have to wield the cudgel a bit less harshly cause their citizens are using to placing the greater good first. Same deal with countries like the Nordic ones (apart from Sweden, who's still vastly ahead of most regions of the US by virtue of the fact that the population isn't heavily anti-science and selfish) or Czech Republic or Austria or Germany.

I don't know what your story is in Canada. I'd imagine that things are probably quite a bit more science-based than in the US, and that some effort has been made to work on contact-tracing, and that the government might have actually implemented some guidelines. You also have fewer big population centers than the US, so that should help.

In the US, of course, any and all safety regulations, even the non-lockdown ones, were heavily politicized in order to whip up the unwashed masses into a frenzy so conservative governments had an excuse to hide behind so they wouldn't have to keep paying unemployment to people, or keep writing bailout checks to anyone other than millionaires. Some states that are absolutely screwed like Michigan and my own had crazy people with guns protesting the governors (cause they were democrats) and the police didn't lift a finger. It's a mess and it's making it look like we're on the verge of a civil war, since all the propaganda outlets like Fox News are just screaming and screaming that Obama is out to get Trump, Democrats are out to steal freedoms, Coronavirus deaths are massively overreported and no one's going to talk about it after November cause it's all just a thing that the MAINSTREAM MEDIA is using to make Trump look bad, etc.

In the last few days in Wisconsin, we had the GOP-controlled supreme court give a 4-3 vote to COMPLETELY throw out all safety regulations of any sort, and the GOP legislature given a voice in creating any new regulations, and the GOP immediately said "we don't need any regulations and refuse to work with the governor to create any unless things change."

Part of the real shit here is that the deciding vote was from a justice who just lost the fricking election to a liberal, but since the election happens well in advance of when things actually take place, functionally this was a tyrannical minority that doesn't represent the current views of the voters in the state opening us up and destroying all public health regulations because they refuse to work with democrats and their main operating procedure seems to be "do the opposite of what democrats do, no matter what." One of the justices who voted to overturn it received over 20,000 in donations just before the vote, and her brilliant judicial wisdom was some moronic facebook mom sounding soundbite about Freedums. Some states with republican governors that instituted lockdowns are facing nothing like this, cause the legislators aren't opposed to lockdowns as much as they are opposed to backing up anything a republican leader does and trashing anything a democratic leader does. It's truly disgusting and this country will not stand like this.

I hope I can get out of here before things boil over and the particularly deranged conservatives out and out start murdering liberals/journalists/scientists. Lord knows the GOP is encouraging exactly that. I dread to think what will happen if Trump loses the election in that "lame duck" period of multiple months before he's actually kicked out of office.

Speaking of Trump, he loudly proclaimed today that he's taking Hydroxychloroquine as a preventative measure. A fox news host immediately reacted with "It will kill you. I cannot stress enough." Then of course some network exec or another must have caught the error of someone criticizing a Trump decision and carted out other hosts to say that it was very wise and good, even though all properly conducted tests are finding that no, it is not for this purpose. Ugh.

I guess Trump killing himself with the severe possible side effects from this would be poetic. More than likely, though, nothing will happen and the Trump administration will continue firing anyone that runs counter to his narrative.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Is taking hydroxychloroquine to treat a disease you don't have (yet?) a bit like putting on a condom today for a date on Friday, or is there even a sliver of legitimate science there?

[Edit: *sigh* Apparently he was being "sarcastic" when he said he was taking it to reduce the severity of symptoms should he contract the virus.]

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is taking hydroxychloroquine to treat a disease you don't have (yet?) a bit like putting on a condom today for a date on Friday, or is there even a sliver of legitimate science there?

[Edit: *sigh* Apparently he was being "sarcastic" when he said he was taking it to reduce the severity of symptoms should he contract the virus.]

"I didn't say something stupid/illegal/offensive; you just didn't get the joke."

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I don't know what your story is in Canada. I'd imagine that things are probably quite a bit more science-based than in the US, and that some effort has been made to work on contact-tracing, and that the government might have actually implemented some guidelines. You also have fewer big population centers than the US, so that should help.
Not gonna lie, I don't follow the news as closely as I should, so maybe I've got things a little off- but like so many other things, Canada IMO basically just mimics what the US is doing, but with the drama dialed down some. We certainly have a lot less of the whole freedom/conspiracy/etc nonsense going on, but a bit of our own nonsense: we had the worst rampage/shooting that's ever happened in our country, then a bunch of arguing about using the lockdown to sneak in some gun laws while people are focused on covid.

In terms of numbers though -> most of the charts I can find basically put us at a sort of projected "peak" right now, suggesting that people think deaths and cases are both going to suddenly drop soon (I don't really know why the projections look like this) but with so much uncertainty that the chart (to someone like me who doesn't know better) sort of seems meaningless. Why are we assuming the numbers are going to drop off? We've changed practically nothing in the last couple of months.

I'm not going to pretend that I really understand. If I had no other information, I would say it looks like we're opening up not because it's any safer than it was, but because people have reached their breaking points and we've just culturally decided we can't stay inside any longer.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Things will open and it will be bad again. Feels more like a PR move than a good idea imo.

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
This is part of my point. You DON'T know whats in a vaccine.

Just for the sake of argument, you also don't know what is in most of the food you eat, the tap water you drink, the clothing you wear, the air conditioning you use, the paint surrounding you, the screen in front of you, etc. Why are all of those things safe?!

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Am I imagining it, or is the general anti-government everything-is-a-conspiracy mentality slowly infiltrating the rest of the forum? In one or two threads about global issues, sure, you're bound to run into some weird or unexpected or bad takes, but it's making its way out into other conversations now. Don't like covid? Must be a cover up to give us all microchip-autism-causing-super-vaccines to control the world. Don't like annoying online guitar influencers? Must be a government coverup to give us all microchip-autism-causing-super-vaccines to control the world.