Crack on the neck of my Ibanez S8QM. I need help

ixampano

Reaction score
First a little bit of context.

*Note: I'm from Mexico, so prices here are way different than in the USD.

A couple of weeks ago a music store nearby closed down (Fuck COVID), and I was able to get a Seymour Duncan Pegasus Bridge (8 String Version) pickup for dirt cheap (roughly 25 USD). I didn't have an 8 String guitar, but it was a good excuse to finally get one.

So, two day ago I go shopping and ended up buying an Ibanez S8QM for about 400 USD. It was clear from the get go, that even though the guitar was "brand new" it's been on the warehouse for like 8 years. So I tried it for like 5 minutes, I didn't really looked to much for aesthetic details, fell in love with the damn thing and bought it. Because the store where I bought it didn't have any technicians, I took it right a way to a different store to get the Pegasus installed.

Fast forward to today and I finally get the chance to play for more than 10 minutes and then...

I noticed this crack on the neck:

PvnXTWc.jpg

And these cracks on the Body:

PuT7YQA.jpg

So the cracks in the body don't really bother me, but I'm dead worried about the one in the neck.
The guitar is still under warranty with the music store, so... I mean, I don't really wanna go there and dispute the warranty because:

a) It's a 2 hours trip and a day off from work for me.
b) The only 8 string models they had were An RG8 and it clearly was a lemon, a Jackson DKF8 which was USD 700 and then Tosin's Ibby Sig. for like 5K USD).

If it nothing to worry about, I'll probably keep the guitar as is because I just don't wanna go through the hassle.

TL;DR: My Brand new guitar has a Crack on the neck. Should I be worried and changes the guitar under its warranty? Or it doesn't really matter?

EDIT:

I just had a friendly chat with the store manager and things don't seem too good for me.

Completely omitting the fact that I changed the stock pickups (because that will void the warranty and I can just put the stock Pickups back in and nobody will notice). Basically I was told that the guitar has to go back to their distributor and then they will decide whether to change or fix the guitar. Now, the thing is this particular model was discontinued on 2014, so my hopes of getting a different guitar are not that good.

Man, it sucks so badly. I really liked the guitar, it sounds great and the fretwork is actually decent for what is worth.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
If the guitar appears to be misused, you might have an issue. But under warranty, you should get it addressed. That's what the warranty is there for.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
First a little bit of context.

*Note: I'm from Mexico, so prices here are way different than in the USD.

A couple of weeks ago a music store nearby closed down (Fuck COVID), and I was able to get a Seymour Duncan Pegasus Bridge (8 String Version) pickup for dirt cheap (roughly 25 USD). I didn't have an 8 String guitar, but it was a good excuse to finally get one.

So, two day ago I go shopping and ended up buying an Ibanez S8QM for about 400 USD. It was clear from the get go, that even though the guitar was "brand new" it's been on the warehouse for like 8 years. So I tried it for like 5 minutes, I didn't really looked to much for aesthetic details, fell in love with the damn thing and bought it. Because the store where I bought it didn't have any technicians, I took it right a way to a different store to get the Pegasus installed.

Fast forward to today and I finally get the chance to play for more than 10 minutes and then...

I noticed this crack on the neck:

PvnXTWc.jpg

And these cracks on the Body:

PuT7YQA.jpg

So the cracks in the body don't really bother me, but I'm dead worried about the one in the neck.
The guitar is still under warranty with the music store, so... I mean, I don't really wanna go there and dispute the warranty because:

a) It's a 2 hours trip and a day off from work for me.
b) The only 8 string models they had were An RG8 and it clearly was a lemon, a Jackson DKF8 which was USD 700 and then Tosin's Ibby Sig. for like 5K USD).

If it nothing to worry about, I'll probably keep the guitar as is because I just don't wanna go through the hassle.

TL;DR: My Brand new guitar has a Crack on the neck. Should I be worried and changes the guitar under its warranty? Or it doesn't really matter?

That's the "I stepped on my guitar crack". Do what everyone else is saying to do.

ixampano

Reaction score
No reason to hold it. Send it back under warranty.
I just had a friendly chat with the store manager and things don't seem too good for me.

Completely omitting the fact that I changed the stock pickups (because that will void the warranty and I can just put the stock Pickups back in and nobody will notice). Basically I was told that the guitar has to go back to their distributor and then they will decide whether to change or fix the guitar. Now, the thing is this particular model was discontinued on 2014, so my hopes of getting a different guitar are not that good.

Man, it sucks so badly. I really liked the guitar, it sounds great and the fretwork is actually decent for what is worth.

Gtan7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If they fix it for you (I can't see photos) be aware that functionally it'll (probably) be 100% but it will hurt resale value even if they can make the cracks nearly invisible.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
"Completely omitting the fact that I changed the stock pickups (because that will void the warranty and I can just put the stock Pickups back in and nobody will notice)."

I'm not trying to be a dick here but I would never consider trying to send a guitar back for warranty work or replacement without disclosing that I had changed out the pickup(s)... even if I'd swapped the originals back in. My conscience wouldn't allow me to do that. The whole "nobody will notice" thing just rubs me the wrong way. I can't see the images either fwiw.

nightlight

Reaction score
That's really bad luck. How come you didn't notice the cracks when you bought it? That's the first thing I would do when buying a guitar, either new or used: check, check and recheck that there are no anomalies, especially structural damage like a crack, or - in this case - two cracks.