Craigslist/ Facebook/ etc horror stories

• Thread starter Mortargag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mortargag

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just had a bad experience and got me thinking....'ll bet there's some "good" ones out there.

Drove 1 hour to pickup a bass amp. 5 minutes before I get there the guy tells me it won't power on. Not a big deal I'm thinking, I've done plenty of repairs. Maybe I can get it for nothing and fix it.

I show up to the place and it's a vintage store. I tell the guy at the counter what I'm there to pickup (per seller instructions) and the guy leads me to a mixing board. I say, no I'm after a bass amp. I show him the picture and he's clueless. No bass amp here.

I msg the guy back....nothing

WTF????

Matt08642

Reaction score
My bad experiences are mostly me posting something for a price, then people messaging me 1/3rd of what I asked and adding "CASH IN HAND TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT" like I'm desperate to sell my stuff for the next hit of crack.

Buying stuff I've actually had basically all good experiences lol.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I once went to look at a truck from CL years ago. Was supposed to be all squared away, just a peek and pick up deal. Easy.

I show up and it's a preppy high schooler selling it, the motor has been swapped, it won't start because the ignition system is a shitshow, and he can't find the title.

After about 15 minutes my fascination with how Jr. Dickfer Brains thought he was going to sell me this truck wore off and I just left.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Seriously wtf lol

I've been lucky. Some weirdos but nothing where I worried for my safety or anything.

One guy recently bought a guitar from me that I was selling for a friend that has cancer to help pay for medical bills. The buyer was fully aware of the situation and why I was selling it for someone else. The guitar was in excellent condition and worked/sounded as it should.

We meet and I bring a small amp for testing. Buyer chooses not to plug in despite asking at least twice saying he trusted me. I had tested it through my rig (AxeFx) and it sounded great.

He buys it from me and about an hour later texts me saying "I don't like how it sounds can I get my money back?" Uhhh what?

If it was my own personal instrument I might have considered it but it wasn't mine, the guy who I sold it for is elderly AND HAS CANCER. I had already given the original owner the money and told him I'm sorry it's a done deal.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I had a guy aggressively refuse to believe my CL classified for a drummer was not, in fact, for gay sex.

"Are you looking for a man?"
"No, I'm looking for a drummer."

When he asked for a pic I sent one of my cat playing with my pedalboard, which also did not dissuade him from his conviction. In the end, nobody got what they were looking for.

"CASH IN HAND TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT" like I'm desperate to sell my stuff for the next hit of crack.

You might not be, but I've definitely bought things from CL people whose next stop was turning my money into drugs.

Mortargag

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had a guy aggressively refuse to believe my CL classified for a drummer was not, in fact, for gay sex.

"Are you looking for a man?"
"No, I'm looking for a drummer."

When he asked for a pic I sent one of my cat playing with my pedalboard, which also did not dissuade him from his conviction. In the end, nobody got what they were looking for.

You might not be, but I've definitely bought things from CL people whose next stop was turning my money into drugs.

Quite often, for sure. Maybe 30%

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
This isn't recent but happened unusually often severy years back when I sold a good amount of gear on CL. Multiple people showed up offering to trade a mountain bike as if I couldn't tell it was a blue light special from yesteryear. I always made it clear I wasn't interested in trades yet multiple people and their cheap mountain bikes descended from their caves with an endless supply of cheap, Kmart Huffys.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
If you want a good story with a good conclusion, I once bought a Randall stack from a church (I don't know how that happened either). They were basically mint. I gently used them for a few years and eventually posted them because I needed to downsize. A guy messaged me saying that he was going to drive down to FL from NC to buy them. Of course I though yeah, sure buddy, but he messaged me coming down and showed up exactly when he said he would. He told me a story of how he'd had something like this when he was younger and was hunting for this set for years. He loaded up and took off super happy.

I miss 'em and hope they're still in good hands.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
If you want a good story with a good conclusion, I once bought a Randall stack from a church (I don't know how that happened either). They were basically mint. I gently used them for a few years and eventually posted them because I needed to downsize. A guy messaged me saying that he was going to drive down to FL from NC to buy them. Of course I though yeah, sure buddy, but he messaged me coming down and showed up exactly when he said he would. He told me a story of how he'd had something like this when he was younger and was hunting for this set for years. He loaded up and took off super happy.

I miss 'em and hope they're still in good hands.
Is it too much to hope that the Randall amp the church owned was a Satan?