Critique our song, and mix, and how to better my bass tone

• Thread starter Housty00
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Housty00

Reaction score
Hello! I'm in the process of recording an ep with a project i'm involved with Called Corpse Kabob. (lovely right?) We have two songs done instrumentally, with the lead guitar player handling all the production duties.

I threw the two songs done so far up on soundcloud to get some advice from you guys. We tracked using the line-out on some korg multi-effect pedal into a presonus audiobox, right into presonus. For bass we use the line-out of my fender bassman head into the audiobox with a stock presonus cab sim because this version of Studio One doesn't allow you to use 3rd party vsts. I'm not sure who at Presonus thought that was a good idea. But anyway, here's the tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/antler-chamber/voluntarily-euthanized

https://soundcloud.com/antler-chamber/bitter-peach-instrumental

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sear

Reaction score
The bass tone is totally fine. I can hear it loud and clear. You could maybe add a distortion box to it if you want it to grind with the guitars more but it really isn't necessary.

I think that your biggest problem here is actually the guitar tone itself. While the bass and drums sound very "close" the guitars have a ton of space to them and sound kind of abrasive for the style of music you're making (which I think is better served by something "full" instead of gritty and harsh). I think you should try to focus on them more, cut some of the 1-3 khz area to smooth them out and add some low mids in.

Also, I can clearly hear your transitions between takes, it sounds really unnatural. If you can't play the whole song through again in one take I suggest punching in and recording the transitions between your parts and crossfade with the "main" takes. That way you'll get the sense that the song was recorded in one go, without any jarring "jumps" as one clip cuts off and another begins.

Housty00

Reaction score
I suspected a problem might lie within the guitar. It has to be that darn pedal. I hate that thing, but he insists on using it for tone. I think it sounds horrible. There are about 5-ish rhythm tracks on any one riff, one guitar doing two, the other doing the other 3.
Leads are double tracked (sometimes more with harmonies and whatnot) For some reason I doesn't feel liek the right way to go about it to me, but what would you guys do?