Custom 8s in the UK?

• Thread starter RockerAlex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Title says it all really ... I read about some US custom companies (like Halo) but as soon as I mention them my thread gets closed. :rolleyes:

Where do you all recommend I go for a ~£1000 custom 8 string?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ninetyfour

Reaction score
Jaden Rose makes some pretty sweet guitars, however I doubt they're under £1000.

There's always Agile if you're willing to pay shipping tax/fees and risk the chance that it may be broken somehow.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Jaden Rose makes some pretty sweet guitars, however I doubt they're under £1000.

There's always Agile if you're willing to pay shipping tax/fees and risk the chance that it may be broken somehow.

Seems there's no option for EMGs or Kahlers on his 8s ... perhaps I should have been more specific.

Where do I go to get a high quality custom 8 string with EMG 808s and possibly a Kahler trem?

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Jaden will almost certainly accommodate your specifications if you talk to him but your budget is probably going to preclude an 8-string from his lineup.

Do a search on Siggery - there are a couple of owners here who have expressed a great deal of satisfaction with their purchases so it's certainly worthwhile to drop them a P.M :)

Other than that I can't think of too many UK luthiers who have instruments under the £1k mark - possibly Sutch Guitars?

RockerAlex

Reaction score
More to add:

Don't like fanned frets, 28" scale is a must ...

Like I said, I guess it doesn't matter if they aren't based in the UK. Where is the best place to go to get a custom 8?

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
You won't get a custom guitar for under a grand. Siggery are probably your best bet price wise, I hear a lot of good stuff about him.

InfinityAndThree

Reaction score
Just drop marty siggery an email. He's a really nice guy, and will get back to you very quickly with a quote. His adress is on his website.

Baldi

Rifftangle.
Reaction score
I received my custom fanned 8sting siggery a couple of weeks ago.. It's absolutely awesome! Marty is a pleasure to deal with and very helpful.. You'll be surprised at the prices too!

RockerAlex

Reaction score
I received my custom fanned 8sting siggery a couple of weeks ago.. It's absolutely awesome! Marty is a pleasure to deal with and very helpful.. You'll be surprised at the prices too!

Only problem there is that I don't want fanned frets, so that's bound to add some extra work.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
It's worth mentioning that the Kahler bridge will kill your sub 1K chances even with Siggery, as one of Marty's resources to maintain the prices low is to make his own parts. A Kahler 8-string trem alone costs approximately 400 quid, which doesn't really leave that much room to maneuvre regarding a custom built guitar, I'm afraid.

If you are indeed into the specs you described, I'd suggest getting the quote and saving up to cover the difference, which would secure the specs were to your liking. It's worth mentioning that straight frets are a lot less time consuming than fanned fret scales, and if you're considering Siggery, he has built quite a number of normal fretted guitars.

As for the Jaden Rose, the specs you requested would imply a much higher cost.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
It's worth mentioning that the Kahler bridge will kill your sub 1K chances even with Siggery, as one of Marty's resources to maintain the prices low is to make his own parts. A Kahler 8-string trem alone costs approximately 400 quid, which doesn't really leave that much room to maneuvre regarding a custom built guitar, I'm afraid.

If you are indeed into the specs you described, I'd suggest getting the quote and saving up to cover the difference, which would secure the specs were to your liking. It's worth mentioning that straight frets are a lot less time consuming than fanned fret scales, and if you're considering Siggery, he has built quite a number of normal fretted guitars.

As for the Jaden Rose, the specs you requested would imply a much higher cost.

I see. I would definitely like to save the money up to get a custom built 8, it seems that's the only way to actually get a good quality one around here.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
what vg said, there's no way you'll get a real custom for a grand. You'd be better of buying and RGA8 and just paying to have all the work done on it. You could get a used RGA for about 400 I bet, and even the best luthiers will charge up to £300 for a complete refin. Alan at out of this swirled will do block colour refins for under 200, the local luthier I know charges 30 pounds if you just want him to route for something (for that you have to completely disassemble your guitar and just send a bare body and you'll have to drill all the holes).

thewildturkey

Reaction score
Siggery and Sutch Guitars get my vote.

I havent got my Siggery yet, but Marty has been awesome to deal with, I imagine it will be an awesome guitar.

Sutch is also very good, Jase was awesome to deal with also and the neck he built me is fantastic, search for my recent NGD to check it out.

Both those builders had great prices, and are UK based.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Siggery and Sutch Guitars get my vote.

I havent got my Siggery yet, but Marty has been awesome to deal with, I imagine it will be an awesome guitar.

Sutch is also very good, Jase was awesome to deal with also and the neck he built me is fantastic, search for my recent NGD to check it out.

Both those builders had great prices, and are UK based.

I think I'm gonna settle with Siggery, he quoted me a really great price and seems to be a great guy. I'll let you all know how it goes soon!