Custom Cab Build

JedPan142

Reaction score
Hello I have a B-52 AT212 that came in pretty rough condition. It works but cuts out after a while, I am bringing it to my technical school to get repaired but I want to rework the whole body. I wanted to do something really interesting and need some help finding out where I can get the wood pre-painted or how I would order the wood and how I could paint it to get the coat I want.

I want a blue finished burled wood for the cabinet and head. I plan on separating the combo amp into a 2x12 cab and the amp head. I would also like to put a clear faceplate on the amp head so I can see my tubes like the Hughes and Kettner amps, (not sure if I want LED yet, would be awesome though) and I don't know where or what material to order for that as well.

Overall scheme

- Half stack: 2x12 + head
- Blue/Teal stained burled wood cabinets
- See-through faceplate
- Black elbow corner pieces
- Black Grill cloth
- Black handle
- Gold colored knobs???

any advice would be great

Attachments

• FileItem-110949-P1070560.jpg
    FileItem-110949-P1070560.jpg
    880.2 KB · Views: 80
  • dsc072372.jpg
    dsc072372.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 80
  • hughes-kettner-duotone-tommy-thayer-293712.jpg
    hughes-kettner-duotone-tommy-thayer-293712.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 41r+JV073uL._SY300_.jpg
    41r+JV073uL._SY300_.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 38

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jarnozz

Let´s Get Wasted!
Reaction score
Sounds cool! As for the wood I wood go with mf and for the burl a lot of veneer sheets. Though corners would be tricky.

JedPan142

Reaction score
Do you know any sites I could order burled wood from? and I was thinking actually staining it and coating it instead of cheap veneer :/ If you knew where I could buy burled wood planks? and the corners would have to be cut at like a 45 and places together instead of putting one over top of the other. I'm not too sure yet.

JedPan142

Reaction score
I need to work on it soon before my school lets out after the semester end and any advice or info would be great.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
I would also recommend a veneer over some nice void free plywood. With burl or spalt they are not really used for structural applications. Besides, that much decorative wood would probably cost a fortune wouldn't it?

JedPan142

Reaction score
Well I don't really know because I can't find a place that sells planks of it and burled wood is hard to come by in long pieces because of the way burled wood grows. So I might have to go with veneer but it would look really cheapey I think :(

RideFour15

Reaction score
You can buy veneer in long rolls to practice (Doesn't have to be burled veneer for practice). Lots of furniture and tables are veneered and you'd never know unless you inspected it closely.

JedPan142

Reaction score
Do you coat it in a finish to make it look more realistic so you cant actually touch the bare veneer? and is it paintable because i want that blue/green shade 100% certain. And I would need to know how to make it look seamless instead of each side ending in an awkwardly cut edge of obvious veneer.

JedPan142

Reaction score
Like if you look at the dark blue one on the left you can see where it meets at the corners, I don't want that. How would i go about it?

Neilzord

.Metal.
Reaction score
Look forward to seeing more on this! Have been considering building a cab myself recently as the cost of the Orange Closed Back 2x12 seems alot compared to the cost of 2 V30's and some wood!

Sounds like it's going to look great when done!

As for the corner join's I think some nicely cut Tongue 'n' Groove corners finished well could look awesome?

Latest posts