Custom SS guitar amp build!

mgcasella

Reaction score
I would indefinitely but since I'm poor I'd have just the basic with 30 band eq.............any way I can name that one?! And like so promo it and shizz. Be all like "yeah I got this from a custom shop.good shit, I asked for tone shaping and they gave me a 30 band eq.yeah and this is the low end model" if so would it be possible to make it like a 300 to 600$ amp just for the basic and 30 band eq? Cause if so tell me now so I can save up breh! Please try to make that one like 300$ or somewhere near it ;-; I would love to have that bitchiness beast

I'm sure if I sold a basic model version of this it would not be that much - custom built this thing is only supposed to cost me $800 :hbang: Seriously, start saving up that $300 (and probably $70 for shipping) and I will get back to you :metal:

Use one of these to turn it on:

doomsday_hub.jpg

ThinkGeek :: USB Doomsday Device Hub

Seriously though - that would be fucking sweet to have somewhere on the amp :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Soubi7string

3d printer go brrrrrrrrr
Reaction score
I'm sure if I sold a basic model version of this it would not be that much - custom built this thing is only supposed to cost me $800 :hbang: Seriously, start saving up that $300 (and probably $70 for shipping) and I will get back to you :metal:

Seriously though - that would be fucking sweet to have somewhere on the amp :lol:

So it would be less?! And it's gonna be a beast?! And the basic will have the 30 band eq?!!!!! Well the one I want that is lol. But omfg next paycheck Is now blown on this! 8D

mgcasella

Reaction score
So it would be less?! And it's gonna be a beast?! And the basic will have the 30 band eq?!!!!! Well the one I want that is lol. But omfg next paycheck Is now blown on this! 8D

lol I don't think it will have the 30-band eq as there are already a bunch of eq knobs on the head and, hopefully, those will be sufficient :banana:

Also, I would want people to try out the prototype first before putting money down (if there is enough interest for production). In other words, don't worry about saving money right now because you will be able to try it for free! :rocker:

Count me in for the test drive bro ;) ....
Sure thing! :cheers:

Soubi7string

3d printer go brrrrrrrrr
Reaction score
lol I don't think it will have the 30-band eq as there are already a bunch of eq knobs on the head and, hopefully, those will be sufficient :banana:

Also, I would want people to try out the prototype first before putting money down (if there is enough interest for production). In other words, don't worry about saving money right now because you will be able to try it for free! :rocker:

Sure thing! :cheers:

o.o FREE?! woah big guy woah what do you mean free?!

And dude if 30 band isn't encough than 100 band then!!!! Full tonal control!
I need all the tone control I can get! Dude if you make a video of it and it sounds damn good I call dibs on first buy of the basic with the eq(I am hellbent on that eq or one of somekind lol)

Soubi7string

3d printer go brrrrrrrrr
Reaction score
And dude if it's like 300 or around that for this beast I'm buying it, playing it as my main head, and never looking back lol.

mgcasella

Reaction score
I just wanna see pictures. lol

Don't worry, I will definitely post pics of the build, etc - Tom and I just have to make sure we get our schedules coordinated :yesway:

o.o FREE?! woah big guy woah what do you mean free?!

And dude if 30 band isn't encough than 100 band then!!!! Full tonal control!
I need all the tone control I can get! Dude if you make a video of it and it sounds damn good I call dibs on first buy of the basic with the eq(I am hellbent on that eq or one of somekind lol)

And dude if it's like 300 or around that for this beast I'm buying it, playing it as my main head, and never looking back lol.

lol I'll definitely be making a video - I just need to find something to record with first. I already bought some great microphones but have no idea how to hook up the mics to my computer - I usually suck at these sort of technical things :scratch: A simple solution/bit of advice would be wonderful if anyone has it.

Regarding trying it out for free, I want people to be able to play/test the prototype for me so I can be provided with constructive feedback. Then I'll improve on the prototype and send a second one out :hbang: The only stipulation is that the head needs to get sent back to me.

BTW it would be awesome if people uploaded videos of themselves playing it! :shred:

Soubi7string

3d printer go brrrrrrrrr
Reaction score
Shit dude just make a second one already I know I want it already lol especially with that eq lol

mgcasella

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Sorry - I know it's been a while. Unfortunately, since Tom and I are very busy making money so we can eat and pay rent, we do not have the ability to devote 100% of our time to this :lol:

To tide everyone over, I decided to post some pics of when I visited Tom's place. I was unable to get any good pics of the outside so I may take some when I visit this week. Apparently, this used to be THE place to party back in the 80's here in Lawrence, Kansas but (unfortunately) I didn't take pics of the entire place - just Tom's work space. Seriously though - this place has a fucking balcony and everything :metal:

Clean-spot.jpg

This was my first view when I came down the stairs :lol:

Pool-table-longview.jpg

The pool table.
Whoever can find Tom's leg first gets a prize! :idea:

Nady-pool-table.jpg

Floor-amp.jpg

Heatsink-bar.jpg

The bar.

Red-cables.jpg

Tubes-caps--trannies.jpg

Desk.jpg

Tom's desk.

Keyboard-Behringer.jpg

Keyboard-top.jpg

Tom fixes keyboards for people, and it is also his main instrument, so he has a lot of them hanging around.

PCB-ashtray.jpg

Cigarettes, PCB, schematics, calculations I don't understand, and a subtext of METAL :metal:

Some people would be alarmed if their technician's workspace looked like the preceding pics, but not me. This is because, if it wasn't for the fact that I have a small apartment as well as a roommate, my place would look exactly like this too :agreed:

I will be meeting with Tom later this week and he will be showing me some IC chips, as well as a power transformer, that we will possibly be using.

Don't despair - more updates should be coming shortly!

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I know why it's taking so long: Tom is down on his knees muttering "Where did I put this chip, now..." :lol:

mgcasella

Reaction score
A big day has arrived!

Just thought I'd let everyone know that the LM3886T's and TDA7293's came in the mail. Due to the overwhelming amount of recommendations we will most likely be using the LM3886T's, but we decided to buy some TDA7293's just for the fun of it :metal:

Here are the LM3886T's:
LM3886T-front.jpg

LM3886T-back.jpg

Here is one of the TDA7293's:
TDA7293.jpg

Tom and I have decided on a small simple circuit to use for a mini-prototype of the amp (basically, we will be building a practice amp version of the beast). Hopefully, we will be blowing stuff up within the next few weeks! :shred:

Soubi7string

3d printer go brrrrrrrrr
Reaction score
lol don't worry - this miniature one one should be done soon. Then the BIG one will be built :hbang:

I hope so man! Cause if it's a beast like it sounds like it's gonna be imma send a list of what I want on mine which will dumb that sucker down and buy me one! (31 band eq instead of all the knobs,key switch for power yeah you wish you thought about that! XD side handles and 150watts and some LEDs for mood setting lol xD)

mgcasella

Reaction score
Sorry it’s taken so long to update this page but things have not been going so well. To make a long story short, the guy I hired to build the amp didn’t work out. After repeated visits and discussions with this builder, I had to file claim with my credit card (I’m SO glad I didn’t pay in cash). The waiting period is over and the money is mine again, which is why I’m now just starting to continue with this thread.

As for my continuing search, I’ve gotten some “bids” where people have said they would charge me $800/hr for the design, which I can’t afford (and personally, I think the quote was that high just because they didn’t want to do it) :noway:

I suppose I could always try Craigslist. If I could get someone just to draw up the schematic of the design, I’m sure I could find someone who could build it on the cheap, and then we could just tweak it.

I've thought about just modifying an amp I already like to my specs. This would be a chore (especially since I have limited knowledge of electronics) but it may be necessary.

I’ve already put so much time into this I think it would be ridiculous to just let it go. Does anyone know how/who I could contact? Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
LOL! But, at the same time, that would avoid spilling beer on it if it was in the a good holder in the right location :idea:

Might not want to do it with a custom amp, but my VOX modeling amp sounded a lot batter after somebody spilled root beer all over it.

mgcasella

Reaction score
Great news! :hbang:

I recently was connected with a guy named Damon Mar who should be able to help me get a prototype of my amp going! He’s a musician, is about to receive his Masters in Engineering, and is also an entrepreneur. He builds pedals that can be used with synthesizers, as well as guitars and they seem pretty cool. He makes stuff more for people who like to make ambient-type noise, but I told him that I could definitely see metal bands (more like black, or experimental, metal) experimenting with his stuff. Check out his website if you’re interested: http://marsyth.com

We met for about 2.5 hours last Thursday and I told him all about the design and he says it’s definitely something he can do. Also, because he makes foot pedals and get stuff wholesale, I’ll be able to get a deal on the parts. Hopefully by next Thursday, he’ll have an idea of most of the parts I’ll need to buy. After that, the plan is to make a protoboard with lots of sockets so we can swap out parts.

The best part is that he has an oscilloscope – that will be fun to use when we’re measuring/messing with sound waves.

I’ll be sure to keep this thread updated as the amp progresses. When the amp starts making noise, would everyone like to see YouTube videos and listen to soundclips?

Latest posts