D Activator Neck

soundbase

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of getting a D Activator Neck and putting it in the bridge position of my PRS Mike Mushok which is tuned down to Drop F, cos from previous posts have seen that the D Activator Neck is really good as a bridge pickup for low tunings.

If I do that, what is a good pickup to pair with it as a neck pickup? Air Norton? Or another D activator Neck, haha!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

akinari

Reaction score
2 would work. Air Norton's good if you like a warmer tone. Super 2's nice if you like a really bright tone.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
You might consider a neck+bridge set of Dactivators.

I think they sound great as intended. I have had a set in one of my 6 strings tuned to B for many years, and I wouldn't switch them out.

You could always try them reversed if you didn't like them in the conventional setup.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
DiMarzio recommends it as well if you want a brighter attack. Probably pair it with a Liquifire or a PAF Pro.

akinari

Reaction score
Jazzhands' recommendations are also spot on. Lots of people love the Liquifire but I have no experience with it, and although I tend to think of the PAF Pro as more of a lower output bridge pup than a neck pup, it sounds fantastic in both spots.

soundbase

Reaction score
Awesome thanks for the suggestions. I might get the DiMarzio Bkuesbucker to pair with it as a neck pickup. I'm interested in trying out a P90 style neck pickup with it. And the Bluesbucker looks like a p90 in a humbucker housing and its noiseless.

soundbase

Reaction score
One more question. If the PRS Mike Mushok is F Scpaced is that a problem putting a neck pickup in the bridge position?

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty much all DiMarzio humbuckers are available in F spacing.

Thorsday

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
D-Activator 8's are the bee's knees... Such a perfect pickup.

valkyrie

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I second the D-activator set, I had it in my old VBT700 and they sounded great. Obviously they work in the bridge position, but the neck is a great lead tone as well

soundbase

Reaction score
I actually had a D-activator neck in the bridge of one of my old Mike Mushok sigs, I loved how it sounded.
Which Mushok model did you put it in? I got both the Ibanez MMM1 and the PRS Mushok. I'm sure a D Activator would sound great in the Ibanez. Cos some pickups can sound really dark in that model.

FromTheMausoleum

That one guy
Reaction score
Which Mushok model did you put it in? I got both the Ibanez MMM1 and the PRS Mushok. I'm sure a D Activator would sound great in the Ibanez. Cos some pickups can sound really dark in that model.

It was a Silverburst PRS Baritone, I feel like the PRS models also had a darkness to them, except for the spalted maple one I had, that one was super light and bright(though the spalted bit was just a veneer and not a cap, so that wouldn't be the difference.)