D-Standard Pickup suggestions!

• Thread starter Heretick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Heretick

Nunc Stans Soldier
Reaction score
Hey! So I'm looking for recommendations for a bridge pickup on my Jackson Warrior that I keep tuned to D Standard that I just can't seem to find a suitable pickup for. It's become a bit of a conundrum, really. The main thing, I think, is the distance between the pickup and the tune-o-matic bridge; for the guitar to intonate properly, I have to crank the saddles nearly all the way back on every string. Combined with a pickup I already think is mounted a bit further from the bridge than I'd normally like for tighter metal riffing, this poses a problem. This guitar definitely exhibits a lot of the less-than-ideal tonal properties that I associate with the guitars I've played/owned with bridge humbuckers too far from the bridge (mostly older, inexpensive single-humbucker guitars); The low end is sort of flabby and muddy but with a distinct hollow, almost middle pickup-ish sounds that makes riffing on the lower strings, the lowest especially, not very satisfying. It does have a cool, throaty midrange and a fatter treble, though. And I absolutely love the guitar otherwise.

So that's what I'm trying to solve. I'm looking for something that will stay really tight on the low end, and I generally prefer brighter bridge pickups, as well. Looking pretty much in the off-the-shelf Duncan/ DiMarzio price range at most. I mainly have experience with inexpensive pickups (Wilkinson and Guitarmadness) which I really love, but none of the models I really like for my other guitars have gotten good results on this one, so recommendations are very much appreciated! If you happen to know more inexpensive pickups that could get the job done, too, then I'm all ears! I'm always down to try some more good cheap stuff!

Quick edit: I should also mention that I want to keep the guitar passive; My other D-Standard guitar is already active, and I would like to keep the two differentiated

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
My suggestions:
1 - Look at mid and mid/high output pickups as these are clearer than high out put ones. Don't go after super high output pickups, for those will tend to be fatter in the lows. I'd probably go with Alnico 5 magnet instead of Ceramic.
2 - Swap the volume and tone (if existent) pots for some with higher value. The norm on humbuckers is 500k omhs, so go above that value, up to 1 Mega ohms or eventually more? Higher value pots will let more high end frequencies pass through (pots are filters so they filter frequencies). 1 Mega Ohm pots work almost like a blower switch (the concept is to bypass all controls and link the bridge pickup directly to jack). Swapping a volume pot from 500k to 1 Mega omhs really does open a guitar sonic bark... and is way cheaper than a pickup...
3 - Do invest / investigate treble bleed solutions for the volume pot.

Last edited:

Heretick

Nunc Stans Soldier
Reaction score
My suggestions:
1 - Look at mid and mis high output pickups as these are clearer than high out put ones. Don't go after super high output pickups, for those will tend to be fatter in the lows. I'd probably go with Alnico 5 magnet instead of Ceramic.
2 - Swap the volume and tone (if existent) pots for some with higher value. The norm on humbuckers is 500k omhs, so go above that value, up to 1 Mega ohms or eventually more? Higher value pots will let more high end frequencies pass through (pots are filters so they filter frequencies). 1 Mega Ohm pots work almost like a blower switch (the concept is to bypasses all controls and link the bridge pickup directly to jack). Swapping a volume pot from 500k to 1 Mega omhs really does open a guitar sonic bark... and is way cheaper than a pickup...
3 - Do manage invest / investigate treble bleed solutions for the volume pot.
Thanks for the tips! Mid or mid high is were I usually go already, so I probably wouldn't stray unless there was some sort of specific high-output option that could solve my problem. I've also considered putting in the 1Meg pots I already have, but the wiring is a bit of a rat's nest (and was before I bought the guitar used) and I kinda just don't want the headache lol. That, and I already really like how the neck pickup sounds and would prefer not to mess with it. Pickup swaps are nice and easy, And trying new pickups is fun! I am still definitely considering it though, lol. The guitar has a treble bleed installed and I have also previously experimented with installing a passive high-pass filter on the bridge pickup, but it never really got me where I wanted to go.

Zhysick

Reaction score
I would get a Duncan Distortion ir a DiMarzio X2N. I know this last one is megahigh output but it is tight and bright and if you adjust it farer than normal from the strings it is quite clear. Also split sound is amazing.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Similar to you your Warrior, I have a DKMG that seems to have the same pickup placement/spacing. Alder body, maple neck, rosewood board, and I've had it in a wide range of tunings. I settled on a Dimarzio Dominion for the bridge position several years ago and haven't looked back. It's pretty tight and is killer for riffing and chugs :metal:

Heretick

Nunc Stans Soldier
Reaction score
Similar to you your Warrior, I have a DKMG that seems to have the same pickup placement/spacing. Alder body, maple neck, rosewood board, and I've had it in a wide range of tunings. I settled on a Dimarzio Dominion for the bridge position several years ago and haven't looked back. It's pretty tight and is killer for riffing and chugs :metal:
Very interesting!! I looked up some pics of the DKMG, and it looks virtually identical spacing-wise to what I'm dealing with! I'll definitely be looking into the Dominion along with the other suggestions I've gotten so far, much appreciated!

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Duncan JB/Distortion/Black Winter; all variations on a theme.

Custom 5 or 81 would be my suggestion.
No love for the Invader? Tom Delonge did something right with the signature Strat.

Ceramic seems to be a theme. The Duncan Distortion, Invader, Custom, or Black Winter could all work. The EMG-81 or 81x would definitely work if you want to go active.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
The lower I go, the more I want ceramic. The EMG 57 being something of an exception.
No love for the Invader? Tom Delonge did something right with the signature Strat.

Ceramic seems to be a theme. The Duncan Distortion, Invader, Custom, or Black Winter could all work. The EMG-81 or 81x would definitely work if you want to go active.

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you want tight, sharp, bright, and percussive, you really need active ceramic pickups. And with EMGs you can get any of their active EQ pots (like the VMC variable mid control) to dial out any flub or mud. Every passive pickup I've had was flubby mud, and any time I play them, I immediately wish there was a VMC in the guitar to cut those muddy low-mids. Especially if it's too far from the bridge, I doubt anything passive will give you what you want.
If you need more intonation range, get a Hipshot Tone-A-Matic, the perfect bridge with a much wider range of saddle travel, and there are set screws to push the bridge off the posts in either direction, further increasing the range of movement for intonation.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Dimarzio D Activator. Had one in the bridge of my D Standard RGA121 for a while, and that seems to me like the quintessential metal pickup for lower tunings like that. Tight as hell, and decently well balanced across the frequency range.

wrdleatr54

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio have EQ chart for all their pickups. Pick something trebly with little bass. As mentioned above, strings also have an effect. Especially if you're having intonation issues. Some folks go overboard with unnecessarily thick strings and then can't intonate. Finally, pickups and speakers go together. So if your speaker is pronounced in the bass area than a pickup may not solve much.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Dimarzio D Activator. Had one in the bridge of my D Standard RGA121 for a while, and that seems to me like the quintessential metal pickup for lower tunings like that. Tight as hell, and decently well balanced across the frequency range.
The Dactivator is also very nice. Love it for down tuned stuff, as well as on a 7.