Daemoness Cimmerian 7 String Build!

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Have you ever put your ear to the back of your guitar? la la la la... la.

I had to try that, was good fun.. Mum walked in as I held my guitar up to the head playing a few riffs, Got the "What the fuck are you doing, Son" Look.

Also, DAT INLAY + DAT OCEANBURST + DEM SIDE INLAYS.

... I'm done :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
Does it un-djent?

troll_face.png

IB-studjent-

Reaction score
I talked to my physics teacher today and he said that Hammered's statements are correct, but although wood might impact the sound the resonance occurs between the strings and the picks. But I think that different woods do some what add to the tone. But again this is a really deep study and lets just keep this thread friendly and stop pissing each other off.

orakle

djentleman
Reaction score
Wood doesnt add to the tone, it acts as an EQ, it stabilizes/attenuates some frenquencies

bottom line : buy active pickups, no more debate about wood :lol:

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
But he's also over at TGP saying that it makes no sense to talk about the tonal properties of claro walnut because there are so many subspecies that get classified under that header. If he believed wood didn't matter, it wouldn't make sense to say that. (we're talking ........., right?)

The dude is pretty much a walking contradiction, I shouldn't have brought him up as an example ;<_<

Regardless, there's lots of debate on that topic. I for one believe that wood makes a huge difference, but there's probably 10 others that don't. As long as my ears still hear the difference, that's all that matters to me.

Speculum Speculorum

Reaction score
For all that is pure... this thread is about Misha's guitar, which kicks total ass.

And as everyone who isn't living in the dark ages knows: wood choices, body shapes, neck construction, pickups (active or passives), strings, cables, picks and picking styles, finger tone, amplifiers/axe-fx's, satin or poly finishes - none of those contribute a single thing to a player's tone.

If you really want to sound good, you need a purple-burst guitar and long, wispy, blonde hair being blown back by a stage fan set on medium-high.

:shred:

:lol:

bulb

Reaction score
if what that dude said was true, then all guitars with the same pickups and strings would sound exactly the same
and yet they just dont
you can record them and hear it for yourself.
hell even EMGs which are active and sound very consistent still sound different in different guitars.
everything affects the sound to some degree, and body wood (especially in a bolt on or set neck) affects it greatly.
anyone who argues differently has no evidence other than regurgitated misunderstood "physics" and no experience to back it up.
i believe the burden of proof is on the side of those denying tonewood's importance, and id like to see some non anecdotal evidence from experiements that prove that tonewoods dont affect sound.

bulb

Reaction score
Wood doesnt add to the tone, it acts as an EQ, it stabilizes/attenuates some frenquencies

bottom line : buy active pickups, no more debate about wood :lol:

anything that acts as an EQ by definition is adding to the "tone" of an instrument, and as i said in the last post, from experience i can tell you that active pickups even sound slightly different in different guitars with different woods.

what im curious to hear is why guitars sound different if its not for the tonewoods? is it hardware? strings? pickups? what one aspect does he believe changes the sound of the guitars? this will be good!

Jontain

Reaction score
lol at people arguing with someone who has far more experience in diverse guitars than they ever could (that i know of disclaimer). As an example my seven is exactly the same as my friends seven bar the body/neck wood and neck fitting (bolt-on / set), other than that they have the same pickups, same tuning, same strings, same scale length and yet put through the same amp they sound obviously different, how is that possible if the wood makes no difference? (this even with EMG actives in!)

Axe looks epic man, inlay is sick as per dylan's standard.

Speculum Speculorum

Reaction score
Perhaps, Misha, my super dry humor and sarcasm does not transfer well via text. I will continue to work upon my written wit until I can coax Twain-like jest from my sentences.

Really - everything - and I mean every single part of the equation, dictates the tone that is generated out of an instrument. It's simply that some people have absolutely no ear. Not that they couldn't train their ear. Yet they are too lazy, conceited, or completely oblivious to reality to do anything about making it better.

We should probably round up all of these musicians, dose them with about 3.5-5 grams of psilocybe mushrooms, and have them listen to varied music at a healthy volume in a dimly-lit room. Clean the cochlear nerve right up.

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
if what that dude said was true, then all guitars with the same pickups and strings would sound exactly the same
and yet they just dont
you can record them and hear it for yourself.
hell even EMGs which are active and sound very consistent still sound different in different guitars.
everything affects the sound to some degree, and body wood (especially in a bolt on or set neck) affects it greatly.
anyone who argues differently has no evidence other than regurgitated misunderstood "physics" and no experience to back it up.
i believe the burden of proof is on the side of those denying tonewood's importance, and id like to see some non anecdotal evidence from experiements that prove that tonewoods dont affect sound.

Actually, Aristides guitars pretty much proved that tonewood and materials affect sound greatly. He invented his own material, ''Arium'', of which he makes guitars. It resonates on cellular level to sonic frequencies similair to superior tonewoods, though I wouldn't know which ones specifically. It's sort of like a flaxwood on crack.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
a huge part of how a guitar will sound is in the qualities of the wood: mass and hardness. Then a large part of it will be in construction. The tonewoods part is mostly about the overall mass VS hardness. The difference between woods and the difference between two pieces of the same wood are both big, but you can usually get a piece of wood A that sounds like wood B, and you can get pieces of wood that completely ignore everything about what people say that wood sounds like.

tonewoods are a complicated matter once you start talking about specific physics, so i just stick to light and resonant woods in general, and then go to the pretty ones :lol:

that inlay is so fucking awesome

WishIwasfinnish

Reaction score
I'd love to see a sound comparison between a regular guitar with active pickups and a guitar made of metal or stone or something ridiculous like that and see what the difference is.

But once again yes, I would love to make sex on that inlay.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
anything that acts as an EQ by definition is adding to the "tone" of an instrument, and as i said in the last post, from experience i can tell you that active pickups even sound slightly different in different guitars with different woods.

what im curious to hear is why guitars sound different if its not for the tonewoods? is it hardware? strings? pickups? what one aspect does he believe changes the sound of the guitars? this will be good!

I agree, indeed. I do think the reason why a lot of people (myself included for a long time) think EMG's don't sound any different in different guitars is because they are so under-wound that the response going into the preamp of the pickup is near enough flat, then the preamp applies its changes to that, but near enough flat isn;t flat, and in something like that nothing can be perfectly flat as the wood and construction has a direct impact on the harmonics present on the string itself which the pickup has no impact on. So they do change in different guitars, but that's why people tend to find that it isn't by such a noticeable amount.

I actually think that if you have two guitars that are supposedly built the same - basswood body, bolt on maple neck, ebony board, say, both have the same floating trem and both weight roughly the same (piece by piece I mean) there's a lot that can change electronically as these are where the highest tolerance percentages lie.

Most CTS pots come with a tolerance of 20% for example, so a 500k pot could be anywhere from 400-600k. Putting that to extremes, you could end up with a guitar with a volume and tone control both 400k in comparison to a guitar with two 600k pots, the latter will be much brighter and a bit thinner. Then there's the tolerance of the tone pots capacitor, some techs believe the length of wire left from the pickup makes a difference (I'm not convinced personally) but even the quality of solder joint can have an impact. The more solder there is between the actual conductor and the terminal, the more parasitic capacitances you get.

Every time you change the medium in which the current from the pickups is being carried, there will be a subtle effect on the signal. I think if an entire wiring harness can be transferred from one guitar to an identical one much less difference ill be found, but people tend to just compare 1 guitar with a particular pickup to another with the same.

I don't know if you were asking a serious question or not, but there's my view :lol:

Obviously, if there are notable differences in mass between parts of a guitar, that'll have some subtle impact but we weren't discussing that :lol:.

Yet another cool guitar BTW, I've been umming and arring about Daemoness for months, haven't quite been so taken by one to actually put my money where my mouth is yet.

Getting pretty close though...

TheKhann

Reaction score
^
Here is a somewhat incomplete study on the matter:

http://www.stormriders.com/guitar/telecaster/guitar_wood.pdf

What has puzzled me here is the huge difference in the acoustic spectrum vs. the pickup output spectrum. I don&#8217;t think that the author analyzes the data as thoroughly as he should ( there are some audible differences in the spectrum between the two bodies, which I think the ear will be able to hear), but the results clearly show that the pickups do diminish the acoustic differences between different types of woods.

p.s. sorry for the derailment, move to a new topic if need be.